Post Posted:: October 5th, 2017, 1:36 pm 

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_rebeccafisseha.mp3

Audacity
Mac
USB mic

Thanks!

Post Posted:: October 7th, 2017, 6:32 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

hi Rebecca welcome to the forum and thank you for this interesting choice for your one-minute test. Always listening to Peter Piper is starting to get a bit tedious. :mrgreen: I immediately checked what book this was from and found out it was Anna Karenina, which I haven't read yet.

Your way of reading is absolutely great for audiobook narration, you have a nice voice to listen to, enunciate well and are well-paced. All perfect so far. :thumbs:

What we still have to work on a bit are two things though: the volume and the background noise:

1) your volume is only at 79.7 dB and this is really not loud enough. We accept anything between 86 and 92 dB, with a preferred average of 89 dB. So you would need to amplify by at least 9 dB to get to a good volume.

I hope you are using Audacity, because there you can easily amplify your recording. Here is the step-by-step:

> highlight the entire recording
> go to Effect and then Amplify
> input 9 in the slot and press OK

while it is easy to amplify in post-processing, it is always recommendable to set the input volume of the microphone higher from the start. Also check whether the microphone icon in Audacity has the slider all the way to the right on the + sign for maximum input volume.

2) in the process of amplification, your background noise has been amplified by 9 dB as well and it was already quite high to begin with.

The best thing is always to trace the source of the noise, and try to evade it, for example, closing windows or turning off electrical appliances.

For now, we can noise-clean with Audacity, here is the step-by-step again:

> highlight a small portion at the end where you don't speak. You didn't leave much free space at the end, but it will serve our purpose
> now go to effect - noise reduction and first click on "Get Noise Profile"
> then highlight the entire recording
> again go to effect - noise reduction and this time press OK

I would suggest running this noise-cleaning process twice over your file. Could you do these two corrections please and re-upload the amended file in this same thread ? Then I'll get a notification and can have a second listen.

Thanks, and if anything was unclear, don't hesitate to ask

Sonia

Post Posted:: October 9th, 2017, 8:38 am 

Hi Sonia,
Thanks for your feedback. I've done the corrections. Please let me know what you think of this version.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Audacity_1.mp3

Post Posted:: October 9th, 2017, 9:16 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

RebeccaFisseha wrote:
Thanks for your feedback. I've done the corrections. Please let me know what you think of this version.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Audacity_1.mp3

yep, that's it, now the volume is much better with 88.7 dB, practically bang on the required average :thumbs: and the background noise is almost non-existent. This is a great recording. Now you know about the basic functions in Audacity many of us LibriVoxers use with each recording. You're well equipped to start for real. :9:

I can give you the all clear on your test now and wish you: good luck with future recordings, lots of fun on the forum and plenty of interesting books to read :)

Sonia

Post Posted:: October 9th, 2017, 10:07 am 

Great. Thanks Sonia. Looking forward to it!