1 minute test - looseeelball [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Post Reply
looseeelball
Posts: 10
Joined: October 3rd, 2017, 6:46 pm

Post by looseeelball » October 4th, 2017, 6:20 pm

Hi,

Here is my one minute test. Your feedback is much appreciated.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_looseeelball.mp3

MacOS
GarageBand
Blue Yeti Microphone with a foam pop filter

~looseeelball

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9137
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » October 7th, 2017, 5:38 am

Hi looseeelball (somehow when I heard your voice credit, I thought I heard Lucille Ball :mrgreen: )

welcome to the forum. Your test recording went quite well, your voice is agreeable to listen to, you speak neither too fast nor to slow, emphasize on the right places, so all this is perfect base material for well-narrated audiobooks to come. :thumbs: I also use the Blue Yeti and am very happy with this microphone. :)

Concerning your technical specifications, there is only one thing that needs to get tweaked before it passes LibriVox standard. Your recording is in Stereo and we need it in Mono.

Now unfortunately you don't use Audacity, because I don't know my way around Garageband. :( There must be some possibility to set the recording setting to Mono in there. I googled a bit and found this site, maybe this will do the trick: http://www.thegaragedoor.com/back/stereo.html

If you need further help maybe post your question in the help forum, there are always people more tech-savvy than me.

Well, once you managed to convert the track to Mono, could you post your new mp3 here in this same thread ? That way I get notified and can have a second look. :)

The only other thing I may suggest is your sound volume. It's currently at 92 dB which is the absolute top limit of our Librivox standard. We accept everything between 86 and 92 dB, but prefer around a good average of 89 dB. So while this one would get accepted, try not do get even louder. A decibel or two less would be perfect.

Good luck with converting to Mono and I'll hear from you soon I hope. :)

Sonia

plaidsicle
Posts: 654
Joined: December 17th, 2014, 10:57 pm
Location: Indiana, USA
Contact:

Post by plaidsicle » October 7th, 2017, 6:51 am

which version of GarageBand do you have? I use it too and might be able to help if you need more help. getting the settings to mono takes some fiddling, but once you get there you won't have to worry about it again!
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9137
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » October 7th, 2017, 6:57 am

plaidsicle wrote:which version of GarageBand do you have? I use it too and might be able to help if you need more help. getting the settings to mono takes some fiddling, but once you get there you won't have to worry about it again!
oh thank you so much for helping out here :) it's good to have back up in garageband matters as I don't know my way around that program at all.

Sonia

plaidsicle
Posts: 654
Joined: December 17th, 2014, 10:57 pm
Location: Indiana, USA
Contact:

Post by plaidsicle » October 7th, 2017, 7:04 am

Kitty wrote:
plaidsicle wrote:which version of GarageBand do you have? I use it too and might be able to help if you need more help. getting the settings to mono takes some fiddling, but once you get there you won't have to worry about it again!
oh thank you so much for helping out here :) it's good to have back up in garageband matters as I don't know my way around that program at all.

Sonia
no problem!
I actually wrote up a tutorial of sorts over here once... viewtopic.php?p=1287166#p1287166 but the image links got broken. I need to go back and fix them... and eventually add all that content to the wiki. someday I will find time...
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com

looseeelball
Posts: 10
Joined: October 3rd, 2017, 6:46 pm

Post by looseeelball » October 8th, 2017, 7:56 pm

plaidsicle wrote:which version of GarageBand do you have? I use it too and might be able to help if you need more help. getting the settings to mono takes some fiddling, but once you get there you won't have to worry about it again!
Hi, I have 10.2.0, been looking up ways to record in mono and having some trouble, so I would appreciate a bit of help there.

Thanks!

looseeelball
Posts: 10
Joined: October 3rd, 2017, 6:46 pm

Post by looseeelball » October 8th, 2017, 9:20 pm

Kitty wrote:Hi looseeelball (somehow when I heard your voice credit, I thought I heard Lucille Ball :mrgreen: )

welcome to the forum. Your test recording went quite well, your voice is agreeable to listen to, you speak neither too fast nor to slow, emphasize on the right places, so all this is perfect base material for well-narrated audiobooks to come. :thumbs: I also use the Blue Yeti and am very happy with this microphone. :)

Concerning your technical specifications, there is only one thing that needs to get tweaked before it passes LibriVox standard. Your recording is in Stereo and we need it in Mono.

Now unfortunately you don't use Audacity, because I don't know my way around Garageband. :( There must be some possibility to set the recording setting to Mono in there. I googled a bit and found this site, maybe this will do the trick: http://www.thegaragedoor.com/back/stereo.html

If you need further help maybe post your question in the help forum, there are always people more tech-savvy than me.

Well, once you managed to convert the track to Mono, could you post your new mp3 here in this same thread ? That way I get notified and can have a second look. :)

The only other thing I may suggest is your sound volume. It's currently at 92 dB which is the absolute top limit of our Librivox standard. We accept everything between 86 and 92 dB, but prefer around a good average of 89 dB. So while this one would get accepted, try not do get even louder. A decibel or two less would be perfect.

Good luck with converting to Mono and I'll hear from you soon I hope. :)

Sonia
Hi Sonia! Thanks for the feedback, I have decided to re-record in audacity to make things easier, and it seems to be most supported recording app around here.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_looseeelball.mp3

Thanks again, hopefully I got everything right on this one, I turned my gain down a bit so I think it is at a more ideal volume level.

~LT

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9137
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » October 9th, 2017, 8:56 am

looseeelball wrote:I have decided to re-record in audacity to make things easier, and it seems to be most supported recording app around here.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_looseeelball.mp3
Hi again and thank you for your second submission. This is indeed in Mono now. :thumbs: Good choice to have switched to Audacity ;) I can explain matters better in that program.

Ok, there are two more things we need to tweak out now. Somehow your recording now has a variable bitrate of ~125 kbps, :hmm: but we need a constant bitrate of 128.

This is easy to change while exporting in Audacity:

> go to Export
> press Options in the lower right corner
> change settings to: Bit rate mode: Constant / Quality: 128 kbps / Channel Mode: Joint Stereo

these settings should never change from now on
I turned my gain down a bit so I think it is at a more ideal volume level
unfortunately now the volume is way too low, sorry (only 80.5). :(

Try the following steps to amplify the recording (do not record again, let's try out Amplify in Audacity):

> highlight the entire recording
> go to Effect - Amplify
> here in your case input about 8 in the slot
> press ok

to easily get to the right volume we have a nice little plugin for Audacity, which will tell you by exactly how much you need to amplify to get to the required average:
Replay Gain plugin: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.
Can you do these two changes (amplification and bitrate) and reupload once more please ? I am quite confident we'll have sorted out all the problems then.

thank you and if there are still questions, don't hesitate to ask

Sonia

looseeelball
Posts: 10
Joined: October 3rd, 2017, 6:46 pm

Post by looseeelball » October 9th, 2017, 5:19 pm

Ok, I think that I got it right this time, constant 128kbs and amplified by 8 (I put that number in the "New Peak Amplitude" box, had to check off clipping to get it to Ok.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_looseeelball.mp3

Thanks for all the help and patience,
~LT
Kitty wrote:
looseeelball wrote:I have decided to re-record in audacity to make things easier, and it seems to be most supported recording app around here.
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_looseeelball.mp3
Hi again and thank you for your second submission. This is indeed in Mono now. :thumbs: Good choice to have switched to Audacity ;) I can explain matters better in that program.

Ok, there are two more things we need to tweak out now. Somehow your recording now has a variable bitrate of ~125 kbps, :hmm: but we need a constant bitrate of 128.

This is easy to change while exporting in Audacity:

> go to Export
> press Options in the lower right corner
> change settings to: Bit rate mode: Constant / Quality: 128 kbps / Channel Mode: Joint Stereo

these settings should never change from now on
I turned my gain down a bit so I think it is at a more ideal volume level
unfortunately now the volume is way too low, sorry (only 80.5). :(

Try the following steps to amplify the recording (do not record again, let's try out Amplify in Audacity):

> highlight the entire recording
> go to Effect - Amplify
> here in your case input about 8 in the slot
> press ok

to easily get to the right volume we have a nice little plugin for Audacity, which will tell you by exactly how much you need to amplify to get to the required average:
Replay Gain plugin: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.
Can you do these two changes (amplification and bitrate) and reupload once more please ? I am quite confident we'll have sorted out all the problems then.

thank you and if there are still questions, don't hesitate to ask

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9137
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » October 10th, 2017, 8:28 am

looseeelball wrote:Ok, I think that I got it right this time, constant 128kbs and amplified by 8 (I put that number in the "New Peak Amplitude" box, had to check off clipping to get it to Ok.
oh sorry, then I wasn’t precise enough. :? You should not have put the number 8 in the “New Peak Amplitude” box but in the topmost box “Amplification (dB)”. That’s where you tell the program by how much you want it amplified or decreased.

I don’t actually know what the other box is for, I never use it and leave it at “0” all the time. If you have a different number in there now, better change it back to 0.

Well the result now is that your recording is much too loud at 95.3 dB. :( So could you please do one final adjustment and decrease by -5 dB (don’t forget the minus sign !) So it’s the same procedure than before, just with a different number:

> highlight the entire recording
> go to Effect - Amplify
> input -5 (minus 5) in the Amplification (dB) box (at the top)
> press ok

Sorry for the confusion. Could you please re-upload it one more time ? We’re getting there, don’t worry ! :)

Sonia

looseeelball
Posts: 10
Joined: October 3rd, 2017, 6:46 pm

Post by looseeelball » October 11th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Alright, hopefully right this time. Thanks again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_looseeelball.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9137
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » October 11th, 2017, 11:35 pm

yes, this time it's a pass :thumbs: I'll mark this test OK now and wish you all the best for your future recordings. Have fun on the forum, and maybe one day I'll PL you again in one project or other. :)

Sonia

Post Reply