1-minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
scifiscot

Post by scifiscot » October 4th, 2017, 5:45 am

Hi!

Here's my test file...trying a new (to me) setup as well so hopefully it's ok: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_scifiscot.mp3

Thanks!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 6th, 2017, 9:53 am

Hi Scott and welcome to the forum. :)

I just had a listen to your first test recording and I can already say, I like your voice, which is extremely nice on the ears. :9: Great bonus for audiobook narration (judging by your forum name, I take a wild guess and think you will help out with science fiction stories :mrgreen: )

Unfortunately the recording was a bit soft to hear the full potential ;)

Which brings me to my recommendation: the volume is currently at 79.9 dB and for LibriVox standard you need to have it between 86 and 92, preferably close to 89 dB.

Are you using Audacity ? Here is a step-by-step on how to amplify your file:

> highlight the entire recording
> go to Effect - Amplify
> input at least 9 in the slot and press OK

Please also check whether the microphone icon in Audacity has the slider all the way to the right on the + sign for maximum input volume. It's always better to have the input volume louder from the start.

I may also recommend to make a round of noise cleaning after amplification as it will amplify the background noise as well.

> highlight a small portion of the noise, usually at the end of your file where you don't speak
> go to effect - noise reduction and press "Get Noise Profile"
> then highlight the entire recording
> go again to effect - noise reduction and press OK

I think those two steps should do the trick to make your file pass. Could you try the editing please and reupload your file in this same thread, so I get notified if there's an answer ?

thanks and if you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

Sonia

scifiscot

Post by scifiscot » October 11th, 2017, 6:17 am

Whew...got busy!

Here's the result of your suggestions: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_scifiscot.mp3

Thanks!!

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 11th, 2017, 6:22 am

Hey Scott, wonderful to hear back from you.

and: YES !!! this new recording is a total success. You applied all my corrections perfectly :thumbs: which makes your recording absolutely up to LV standard.

I'll mark your test OK now and wish you good luck and lots of fun with further recordings. :)

Sonia