* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 15th, 2017, 3:25 am

Post Posted:: October 4th, 2017, 4:39 am 

Software: Audacity
Operating System: Windows
Microphone Type: Analog

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_ianpcorbett.mp3

There is white noise in the background of this recording, but the directions stated that it is best to submit raw and unprocessed files for the 1-Minute Test.

Post Posted:: October 6th, 2017, 9:39 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hello Ian

thank you for starting with a one-minute-test. Always good to get the technical things sorted out before launching into a bigger recording.

As far as your reading goes, it's absolutely fine, you have a fluent way of narrating which is nevertheless easy to listen to and follow. Perfect for audiobook narration. :)

Unfortunately there is a lot of background noise, because, as you mentioned, you sent us the raw file. Could you please do a round or rather two of noise-cleaning and re-upload, so I can have a second listen ?

In case you are not familiar with Audacity's noise-cleaning function, here is a step-by-step:

> highlight a small portion of the white noise
> go to effect - noise reduction and press "Get Noise Profile"
> then highlight the entire recording
> again go to effect - noise reduction and this time press OK

I think you need to repeat this twice to get rid of the worst of the noise. A good thing would be to check for the source of this noise and try to cancel it somehow. Closing windows against traffic, etc.

A second thing I noticed is that your volume is just inside our required volume limit. We accept anything between 86 and 92 dB (preferred average: 89) and yours barely sneaked through with 86.2. :mrgreen: Now after the noise cleaning the average volume will have dropped, so you will surely be below 86.

So after noise cleaning, you'd need to amplify your file by at least 3 dB to pass the test.

Step by step again:

> highlight the entire recording
> go to Effect - Amplify
> input at least 3 in the slot and press OK

You could check whether the microphone icon in Audacity has the slider all the way to the right on the + sign for maximum input volume.

Please reupload the edited file in this same thread, so I get notified when there is a reply.

thanks and good luck :)

Sonia

Post Posted:: November 23rd, 2017, 8:18 am 

I've performed noise cancellation and amplified the file as recommended. How do you determine the average decibel count so I know when I need to amplify files in the future when I am submitting them to projects? Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/retest_ianpcorbett.mp3

Post Posted:: November 23rd, 2017, 9:21 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

excellent Ian, thank you. This works just fine and I can mark your test OK. Now you are free to roam the board and start recording for real. :)

ianpcorbett wrote:
How do you determine the average decibel count so I know when I need to amplify files in the future when I am submitting them to projects? Thanks!

thanks for asking. Most of the Prooflisteners probably use the Checker, it will tell you all the technical specifics, and if they are correct. You can check your finished mp3 files with that.

There is also an invaluable plug-in for Audacity, which calculates the amount you need to amplify to get to the average of 89 dB. I use this on all my files and never failed on the volume anymore. :9:

Here are both links for download:

Quote:
Replay Gain plugin for Audacity: - http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=4668

1. Save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere where you can easily find it.
2. Now browse to the folder in which Audacity is installed. It's probably in C:\Program Files\Audacity) and then open the Plug-Ins folder.
3. Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
4. When next you start up Audacity, you will be able to select the whole recording (Ctrl+A on Windows), then go to Analyze | ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file to get to about 89 dB.

Checker: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

Have fun recording :)

Sonia

Post Posted:: November 23rd, 2017, 12:00 pm 

Thank you so much for all of your help. I'm looking forward to volunteering!