Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 14th, 2017, 6:06 am

Post Posted:: October 1st, 2017, 1:22 pm 

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_smobuchin.mp3
Software - Audacity 2.0.2
OS - Windows 10
Microphone - USB (Blue Yeti [Gain @ 1/3])

There is some bg noise because this was recorded during the day, I will normally read at night.
Thanks for listening, all criticisms welcome! :D

Post Posted:: October 2nd, 2017, 1:41 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Kenny, welcome to our forum. :) I just had a listen to your one-minute test and I love your voice and way of reading. :9:

I'm also working with the Blue Yeti and I totally love that microphone. As to background noise, you're right, the Yeti picks up a lot, I was shocked when I did my first recording with it. But it also has a very clear sound and that's absolutely a bonus. The background noise can be easily removed with Audacity in the editing phase.

The technical format specs are totally ok, but we need to work on two things still to make this recording up to LibriVox standard:
volume and background noise

1) your volume is way too soft: it's at 81.6 dB, while we need at least 86 dB and accept anything up to 92 dB with preferred average of 89 dB.

As you are using Audacity, I can explain the process of amplification very easily to you. Try to do the following things:

> highlight your entire recording
> go to Effect - Amplify
> input: 7.6 in the slot and press OK
Audacity does the rest 8-)

On the Blue Yeti, you have a button to toggle your microphone input level louder from the start. That way you don't need to amplify as much later in editing. Also check whether the microphone icon in Audacity has the slider all the way to the right on the + sign for maximum input volume.

2) now your volume will be well inside our desired limit, but: the background noise will be amplified by 7.6 as well. We need to reduce this. Here is what you have to do:

> highlight a small portion at the end of your recording where there is only background noise
> go to effect - noise reduction and first choose: Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again go to effect - noise reduction with settings:
Noise reduction (dB): 12
Sensitivity: 6.00
Frequency smoothing bands: 0
Noise: tick "Reduce"
and this time press OK

You will see the wavy noise lines practically vanish.

I'd say for this recording, doing this cleaning process once is enough. If the noise was even more pronounced, you could do it twice, but overdoing it, may result in sound distortion. So better is always, find the source of the noise and hopefully solve the problem ;)

Could you do these changes to your initial file and re-upload please, so I can have a second listen ? I think if you do these changes, then your file will be ok and you will be ready to roll.

Good luck

Sonia

Post Posted:: October 3rd, 2017, 7:00 pm 

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/smobuchin_test2.mp3

Alrighty, I adjusted the volume to what I think is the perfect amount, as well as removing all that unwanted noise!

Post Posted:: October 4th, 2017, 8:13 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Kenny, your second text is absolutely hilarious and highly entertaining LOL top marks for creativity. :thumbs:

And I didn’t mention it before, because I did not notice your dramatic talent so much in our standard 1-minute-test, but I noticed it NOW. So I dearly hope I will see you sooner rather than later in the drama subforum, I am always on the lookout for new talent, and you definitely are one. I am DPL in many drama plays, so hopefully, I’ll hear you again soon. :9:

Great that you found the checker program ! Indeed it is an invaluable tool which I use for each of my recordings. From now on you will not have volume issues anymore. 8-)

Strangely enough, I ran your file through checker just now and it gave me a FAIL message, because of the background noise. Did your version let it pass ? But in any case, try as I might, I was listening with earphones to the recording and I couldn’t detect any disturbing noise. But Checker is not always infallible in the noise assessment. When in doubt, I trust my ears.

So, to make it brief: I’ll OK your test. You’re ready to roam the forums, and hopefully find plenty of good material to record and have fun with.

Enjoy and good luck (and don’t forget to say hello in one of “my” dramas, please :mrgreen: )

Sonia