* Login   * Register
It is currently October 19th, 2017, 2:00 am

Post Posted:: October 1st, 2017, 7:01 am 

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jackan0ry.mp3
Software - Audacity 2.0.5
OS - Windows 10
Microphone -USB (Marantz MPM-2000U)

Post Posted:: October 1st, 2017, 8:19 pm 

Hi, welcome to LibriVox! And thank you for your test. You have a lovely voice!

Unfortunately, I could hardly hear it! :cry: This recording is about 9 dB below our target volume (89 dB, with an acceptable range of 86-92). You could amplify in Audacity post-recording, but I think a better approach is to adjust your microphone input. You can do this in the Audacity toolbars, where you'll see a slider with a mic icon next to it (move it to the right to go louder) and/or in your Audio control settings in Windows. It can take a little bit of time to fine-tune your input to get your volume close to 89 dB, but I think will save you far more time in the long run, because you won't need to check and adjust volume on each and every recording in the future. To check your own volume, you can use Checker (very easy to download and use).

So I'd recommend turning up the input of your mic, recording a small snippet, and then running that mp3 through Checker. When you look at the Information tab in Checker, you'll see the volume of your recording in dB. That way, you'll know if you need to continue to adjust the input up, bring it back down a bit, or if you found the sweet spot!

Experiment with this, then post your new recording in this thread.

Incidentally, what was the text you read for this test? I'm already into the story!

Journal of Francis Asbury, second Methodist bishop and traveling preacher in America from 1771-1815
Religion: Mushrooms on the Moor by Frank Boreham (died 1959)
Fantasy: The Double Life of Mr. Alfred Burton

Post Posted:: October 4th, 2017, 10:21 am 

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jackan0ry.mp3
Thank you for your help and encouraging comments. I have used audacity to boost the volume as I am using a USB microphone on Windows 10 with the levels set at maximum and there is no microphone boost setting available.
I have used the Checker application as suggested and the file passed the validation test so I hope that this will now be ok.

Post Posted:: October 10th, 2017, 9:38 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Sorry it took so many days to get back to you.

The last test sounds good! The volume is just right now. You are ready to record for real! Please head over to the Readers Wanted sections and claim something interesting to read :thumbs:

~~ Thanks for your patience! Please feel free to send me a PM if you feel that I'm neglecting you ~~

Fairytales in Danish, Swedish, or Norwegian
Lots of short stories and myths that deal with nature from all over the world

Post Posted:: October 16th, 2017, 11:01 am 

Many thanks, Katherine. Will do :-D