https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_faziarizvi.mp3

I'm recording with:
Rhode NT1A
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Audacity
Mac OS X

Post Posted:: October 1st, 2017, 12:11 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi and welcome to the forum Faziarizvi (interesting name)

wait...I just see you registered in 2011 :shock: I guess I have to say welcome back then :) always a good idea to start with a one-minute-test, as the technical aspects may have changed over the years.

Well I can assure you, your one minute test is absolutely acceptable in all Librivox criteria :thumbs: so I can mark it OK straight away. Also, you're a good narrator from what I can hear in this short test. Quite expressive reading (= potential candidate to help out in the drama forum, if that's "your thing" :mrgreen: sorry, I can't help promoting the drama forum :oops: )

Anyway, if I had to give some critical feedback it's only that your volume is quite at the lower border. We accept anything between 86 and 92 dB, with a preferred average of 89. Yours was at 86.8, so acceptable for our norm, but don't let it get even lower. If you can somehow increase your initial recording volume by a decibel or two, that wouldn't hurt. But: as I said, this one is totally acceptable.

So you are clear to roam the forum and start claiming sections you are eager to record :D have fun and good luck, and maybe I hear from you one day in one of the many dramas I am prooflistening :9:

Sonia

Post Posted:: October 2nd, 2017, 9:22 pm 

Kitty wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forum Faziarizvi (interesting name)

Thank you!

Kitty wrote:
wait...I just see you registered in 2011 :shock: I guess I have to say welcome back then :) always a good idea to start with a one-minute-test, as the technical aspects may have changed over the years.

Er, yes. It's... been a while. :)

Kitty wrote:
Well I can assure you, your one minute test is absolutely acceptable in all Librivox criteria :thumbs: so I can mark it OK straight away. Also, you're a good narrator from what I can hear in this short test. Quite expressive reading (= potential candidate to help out in the drama forum, if that's "your thing" :mrgreen: sorry, I can't help promoting the drama forum :oops: )

I would love to help with some dramas! I'll be on the lookout for those.

Kitty wrote:
Anyway, if I had to give some critical feedback it's only that your volume is quite at the lower border. We accept anything between 86 and 92 dB, with a preferred average of 89. Yours was at 86.8, so acceptable for our norm, but don't let it get even lower. If you can somehow increase your initial recording volume by a decibel or two, that wouldn't hurt. But: as I said, this one is totally acceptable.

Ah, good. I read in the guide how to adjust my setup to record at a better level to begin with, so I'll see if I can't get it spot on 89.

Kitty wrote:
So you are clear to roam the forum and start claiming sections you are eager to record :D have fun and good luck, and maybe I hear from you one day in one of the many dramas I am prooflistening :9:

Sonia

Thank you! Looking forward to it!

Post Posted:: October 3rd, 2017, 11:05 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

faziarizvi wrote:
I would love to help with some dramas! I'll be on the lookout for those.

YES ! 8-) :9: I'll see you around one of these days then !!!

Quote:
Ah, good. I read in the guide how to adjust my setup to record at a better level to begin with, so I'll see if I can't get it spot on 89.

well as I said, it doesn't have to be spot on. My own recordings vary between 88.5 and 90, so all this is perfectly acceptable.

Well, you'll experiment with the sound, as we all did, and will eventually find some settings which sound great to you.

Sonia