* Login   * Register
It is currently December 14th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Post Posted:: September 29th, 2017, 5:16 pm 

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_judgeruled.mp3

Recording Software: Audacity 2.3.1
Microphone: USB (Blue Yeti)

Post Posted:: October 1st, 2017, 11:26 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi and welcome to the forum, Bristol (did I catch your name correctly ? :? )

I also use the Blue Yeti and am totally happy with it :D

first of all, I love your deep voice :9: it's so agreeable to listen to. Also your emphasis and reading pace is quite easy on the ears to understand what you are reading. All of this is a bonus for good narration.

Further I need to add that for me the special highlight was this "probably interesting" at the end :thumbs: well done. With such emphasis in the reading, my radar for potential new readers for the drama forum is giving an alert :mrgreen: So if you are so inclined, check out the drama subforum, lots of great plays there to act a role. I think you might fit right in there.

All right, but before we are there yet, we need to tweak your recording quite a bit still. Here's what you need to do:

1) your bitrate is ~124 kbps variable, and it should be 128 kbps constant. This is easily changed in Audacity.
> go to export audio
> at the bottom right side, click on Options
> select: Bit Rate Mode: Constant and Quality: 128 kbps and press Ok

2) your volume is only at 83.3 dB which is not loud enough for LibriVox standard. We accept anything between 86 and 92 dB, with preferred average of 89 dB. This is also easily amplified in Audacity
> highlight your recording
> go to Effect - Amplify
> input at least 5 or 6 in the slot and press OK

the best thing would be to toggle your microphone input level louder from the start. On the Blue Yeti you have such a button to do that. Also check whether the microphone icon in Audacity has the slider all the way to the right on the + sign for maximum input volume.

3) and finally, the background noise needs a bit of cleaning, especially since you now amplified your recording, you also amplified the noise by 5 dB. :? Of course in an ideal world we all work from a sound proofed room, but almost nobody ever does. The best thing is of course to choose the room with least background noise, close the windows, turn off electrical appliances, like fans, etc.

But you can also noise clean in Audacity:

> highlight a small portion at the end of your recording where there is only noise
> go to effect - noise reduction and choose Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> go to effect - noise reduction and press OK

I would say, with your background noise, you need to do this twice.

Can you do all these changes please and reupload in the same thread, so I can have a second listen ?

And don't be discouraged by this long review, it's just I wanted to make the explanations as precise as possible for better reference. There's actually not that much to do with your file. The basic ingredient, your voice and way of narrating, are perfect, all the rest is only technical cosmetics.

Thanks

Sonia

Post Posted:: October 4th, 2017, 2:00 pm 

Hey there Sonia!

I made all the changes that you requested to the recording. Hopefully it sounds a bit better now. :) Thank you so much for the detailed post! I will most definitely be visiting the drama forum.

Here is the link to the updated file: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_judgeruled_(revised).mp3

Regards

Bristol

Post Posted:: October 4th, 2017, 2:55 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

JudgeRuled wrote:
Here is the link to the updated file: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_judgeruled_(revised).mp3

sorry, this link is broken because you used brackets at revised...can you re-upload without the brackets please so I can download it ?

Sonia

Post Posted:: October 4th, 2017, 6:18 pm 

Terribly sorry about that, Sonia. Here is the link without the brackets.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_judgeruled_revised.mp3

Post Posted:: October 5th, 2017, 9:10 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

yes, thank you, this link works now. And all the corrections have been excellently made. :thumbs: I can mark the test OK now, since you know your way around the basic important Audacity functions Amplify and Noise Cleaning now. Good thing you had to deal with it now, we all need them on a regular basis LOL

All right, so that’s it for now. I wish you good luck with your further recordings, hopefully you find a lot of interesting projects you’d like to get involved in. And maybe one of these days I’ll PL you again in one of the dramas. :D

Have fun !

Sonia