LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 17th, 2017, 4:23 pm

Post Posted:: September 26th, 2017, 9:06 pm 

Here is my 1 minute test. This was created using Audacity 2.0.6 on a 64bit Windows 10 Pro operating system. I am using an ART D7 Large Diaphragm Dynamic Microphone running through a PreSonus AudioBox iOne USB interface (Christmas Gifts from my kids :D ). Any feedback and/or advise would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your responses.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_srknight.mp3

Post Posted:: September 27th, 2017, 9:35 am 

Hi SrKnight,

first of all, I really like your narrating voice :)
All the settings of your 1-minute-test are perfect. The volume is on the spot (88.9 dB).
There is some background noise, though.. maybe you could reduce that a bit.
Audacity provides the tool "Noise Reduction". That should work ;)
For the noise reduction highlight a small section where you don't speak and go to Effect -> Noise Reduction and press "Get Noise Profile".
After that you can highlight the whole recording and go to Noise Reduction again and press "ok".
That should work ;)

Greetings,

Alles endet aber nie die Musik ~ Casper

Post Posted:: September 27th, 2017, 10:12 am 

Thank you Tabea, for your feedback. I do appreciate it. I will adjust my test after work this evening and repost it for you to check. I do have one question for you. When I created this test recording last night I found that my microphone, with, I believe, the highest input settings, still recorded my voice too quietly. I subsequently had to apply some Amplify to the file. I also noticed that my breath intakes were more pronounced so I did a bit of spot negative Amplify on just those point. When applying noise reduction should I first remove the editing on my breaths or just go ahead and apply it on the file the way it is currently. I'm wondering if the noise reduction will remove too much of the breathing creating virtual dead spots... (Hope this made sense)

Thanks again for your help.

Jay

Post Posted:: September 27th, 2017, 1:18 pm 

For the volume of you recorded voice look at the setting for recording volume in audacity. You can change the setting next to the symbol of a microphone.. Hopefully that will help.
I don't think that the noise reduction will affect the volume of your breaths too much because the sound of the background noise is quite different from the sound of your breathing. Because you make a noise profile before noise reduction is applied, the noise reduction should focus on what can be heard in the few moments you highlighted for getting the noise profile.
If you still have the file where you hadn't edited anything, you could just make a copy of that and play with some editing tools within the copy.. If something doesn't turn out like you want it to, you can still use the other file.

I'm here for any questions if you need me ;)

Greetings

Alles endet aber nie die Musik ~ Casper

Post Posted:: September 27th, 2017, 7:45 pm 

Okay, testing take 2 :) I have applied some noise reduction as well as removed an annoying mechanical sound in the background at the end that I hadn't noticed the first time around. Let's see how this version works for you.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test02-srknight.mp3

Regards;
Jay

Post Posted:: September 29th, 2017, 10:22 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Sticking my nose in to say that your new test is A-OK! 8-)

Post Posted:: September 29th, 2017, 12:05 pm 

A-OK? Wooohoooooo!! :lol: Thanks Tricia, I appreciate it.