LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently December 16th, 2017, 9:22 pm

Post Posted:: September 5th, 2017, 8:29 pm 

This is my second 1 minute test. I got a new mic! :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_alexyounger.mp3

Post Posted:: September 9th, 2017, 3:35 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hello Alex, welcome to LibriVox and thank you for your 1-Minute-Test. Always a good idea to start with that ;)

Well first of all, your way of reading is excellent. You have an agreeable voice to listen to, you enunciate clearly and you don't talk too fast. For me personally, that's a plus (other listeners might disagree, but one can never please them all :mrgreen: ).

All your tech specs are perfect as well :thumbs: and your microphone sounds good to me.

The only thing you might work on a bit more is the background noise. Your overall volume is currently 86.8 dB which is at the lower part of our accepted range (86-92 dB, preferred average of 89). So the volume is acceptable, but 2 dB more would have been perfect. But if you amplify your volume, you will amplify the background noise as well. So I would suggest doing one round of noise-cleaning.

I suppose you use Audacity ? It's very easy to noise-clean with that program. Try the following step-by-step:

> highlight a few seconds at the end, where you don't speak
> go to Effect / Noise Reduction
> first press "Get Noise Profile"
> now highlight the ENTIRE text
> again: Effect / Noise Reduction
> now press OK and Audacity is doing the cleaning

Could you try this out and re-upload your test file once again, please ? Noise-cleaning is an invaluable tool, so it's good to learn how to use it from the start.

But other than that, your test is really good, and I think you will have no trouble recording "for real". Hope you have fun here and find an interesting project. :)

Thanks

Sonia

Post Posted:: September 19th, 2017, 11:11 pm 

Everyone on this forum is so nice it's incredible. Thank you for that very motivational compliment, Sonia. It means a lot.

Also, thank you for the feedback, I will go play around with noise reduction.

Have a wonderful day. :)

Post Posted:: September 21st, 2017, 11:47 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

AlextheYounger wrote:
Also, thank you for the feedback, I will go play around with noise reduction.

great to hear back from you Alex. Yes please re-upload another noise-cleaned version and I'll have another listen. I'm sure this will be sorted out soon and you cann record for real :thumbs:

Sonia

Post Posted:: September 29th, 2017, 8:42 pm 

I played around with the noise reduction this time. I think it sounds a lot better.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/noisereduction_test3_alexyounger.mp3

Post Posted:: September 30th, 2017, 2:43 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

hi again :)

I stumbled on this thread by chance. It would have been easier if you had simply reposted in the same conversation thread we used to work on previously ;) [conversation now merged into single topic]

But the most important thing: your test is excellently noise-cleaned and can be marked OK. Congratulations :clap: you are ready to roll. Checker still tells me the volume is a bit on the low side 86.3 dB. But technically 86 is enough to get accepted, so you're clear there. If you could amplify it a bit it might be better, but if not, this is totally fine. I for one had no trouble hearing and understanding it all.

So: my tutoring her is at an end, and I can only wish you lots of fun on the forum, good luck with the recordings and maybe I hear from you again in one of the projects I'm DPL for :) a hint: I am doing lots of Drama-DPLing LOL so if you are dramatically inclined, we will probably talk again one of these days.

Enjoy !

Sonia