LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 3:37 pm

Post Posted:: August 15th, 2017, 6:14 pm 

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_AcireAzeri.mp3

Listed above is my one minute test, recorded using audacity! Thanks in advance!

-Acire

Post Posted:: August 16th, 2017, 10:43 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Welcome, Acire, and thank you for your test! You have a nice voice to listen to :thumbs:

A few technical settings needs to be ironed out:
- the recording needs to be mono (have just one track in the audacity window). To change all future recordings, go to Edit, Preferences, Devices. Under Recording, change Channels to "1 (Mono)". To fix this one:
Click >Tracks > Stereo Track to Mono.

- The bit rate should be 128 kbps and the bit rate should be constant. You fix this when you export the recording.

If using Audacity 1.3 or later:
You must have something recorded in order to activate the Export function. If you try to export an empty project, you will find that the Export function is greyed out. For testing purposes, just click the record button and then stop after a second or two.

Click File > Export
You'll see the "Export file" window appear. You can select the destination here, of course. Enter the name of the file (without the "mp3" on the end - it'll be added for you).

In the "Save as type" box, select "MP3 files", but DON'T click Save yet!!!
Now look for the "Options" box in the Right lower corner of the window, and click on that.

You'll see a "Specify MP3 Options window now. Here click on:
Constant
128 kbps
Joint stereo
Click "OK"
Now click on "Save", and your mp3 will be exported at 128 kbps.

Please do these two things first. Then we'll look at the volume (it will be affected by making the recording mono, anyway), and fix that :)

When you have tinkered with the recording, please upload again and post in this thread. Thank you! :D

~~ Thanks for your patience! Please feel free to send me a PM if you feel that I'm neglecting you ~~

Fairytales in Danish, Swedish, or Norwegian
Lots of short stories and myths that deal with nature from all over the world

Post Posted:: September 4th, 2017, 6:25 pm 

Thanks for the feedback,

But I was wondering if with this issue, should I re-record or not? Or will these changes apply to what I've already recorded?

Post Posted:: September 9th, 2017, 10:08 am 

AcireAzeri wrote:
Thanks for the feedback,

But I was wondering if with this issue, should I re-record or not? Or will these changes apply to what I've already recorded?

You do not need to re-record. If you follow Kathrine's instructions, it will apply to the test you already have. Of course, if you prefer to re-record, you are more than welcome to!

Journal of Francis Asbury, second Methodist bishop and traveling preacher in America from 1771-1815
Religion: Mushrooms on the Moor by Frank Boreham (died 1959)
Fantasy: The Double Life of Mr. Alfred Burton

Post Posted:: September 15th, 2017, 1:12 pm 

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_acireazeri.mp3

I hope I've done everything right this time

Post Posted:: September 16th, 2017, 9:13 pm 

Well, you did fix the bit rate in this one, so that's progress! :D But this recording is still Stereo. :hmm:

So, as Kathrine mentioned, you can change this recording to Mono in Audacity by going to Tracks>Stereo Track to Mono. However, you'll still need to change that setting in your preferences as well, for all future recordings. (Edit>Preferences, then find the "Channels" setting under Devices.) Maybe you already changed your preferences, but forgot to do the "stereo track to mono" bit?

Then, we'll also need to talk about your volume. This one is about 5 dB too low. Highlight the whole recording, then go to Effects>Amplify and enter 5 as the amplification value. Do not check the box that says "Allow clipping". If Audacity won't let you amplify by 5 without clipping, we'll then need to talk about compression.

Try these things, then let us know where you are and post your new test.

(And don't be scared if it seems like a lot of steps; most of these things you won't need to worry about once you've set them up, and the rest get easier. I promise!)

Journal of Francis Asbury, second Methodist bishop and traveling preacher in America from 1771-1815
Religion: Mushrooms on the Moor by Frank Boreham (died 1959)
Fantasy: The Double Life of Mr. Alfred Burton

Post Posted:: September 25th, 2017, 2:03 pm 

It won't allow me to amplify without clipping. How should I compress?

Post Posted:: September 29th, 2017, 10:42 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

AcireAzeri wrote:
It won't allow me to amplify without clipping. How should I compress?
=

Compression video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ3lOTDsN6c
It will squish your spikes so that you can amplify a bit more. :)

My default settings are as follows:
Threshold: -13 to -17 dB (try -15 to start)
Noise Floor: -40 dB
Ratio: 2.5:1
Attack: 0.2
Decay: 1.0
NO checks in the check boxes

After compression, amplify by how much you need. :) If you still can't do it (it didn't squish enough), fiddle with the Ratio or Threshold settings. Ratio: I have gone as high as 3:1, and threshold I've gone as much as -25 or so, depending on the recording!

Fiction about jail atrocities: It Is Never too Late

Post Posted:: October 8th, 2017, 9:57 am 

Thank you for all the help. I hope I've done it right this time around!

Post Posted:: October 12th, 2017, 11:44 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Hello Acire :)

it seems there is still a bit of a problem. Is this the same test you posted before or did you re-record from scratch ? Well, for the following corrections, don't re-record a new one but please use this latest recording, as my explanations are based on this one:

Now there are 3 things to take care of still. Don’t panic and try to follow exactly the step-by-step I’m writing up for you:

1) your recording is still in stereo, but we need it in mono.

To change this:

> go to Tracks (in the upper tool bar)
> select Stereo Track to Mono

you will see that the lower window will disappear --> that’s now in Mono :)

first step finished

2) your volume is too loud, at 94.1 dB. We need it between 86 and 92, preferably around 89 dB.

To decrease your volume by, let’s say, 4 dB, do the following:

> highlight the entire track
> go to Effect (in the upper tool bar)
> select Amplify
> input – 4 (don’t forget the MINUS sign) in the first slot “Amplification (dB):”
> press OK

you will see that the peaks are diminished quite a bit now. Your volume will now be about 90 dB, which is perfect

second step finished

3) unfortunately you have a very high level of background noise in this recording. :( You can see this at the end of your recording, where you don’t speak at all, but the blue spikes still are almost as high as the rest where you speak. The “blue line” for the background noise usually should be almost flat on the middle line.

Now you can noise clean in Audacity, but the best thing is to try to find the source of this interference, it sounds like electrical feedback to me. Maybe put the microphone further away from an electrical source, or the fan of the computer or whatever it is that causes it.

To get the noise a bit down in this recording, do the following:

> highlight a small portion of the noise at the end of your recording (for example seconds 0:24 – 0:25)
> go to Effect (in the upper tool bar)
> select Noise reduction
> first press “Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the ENTIRE recording
> go again to Effect
> select again Noise Reduction
> now press OK

you will see the blue noise-spikes at the end considerably reduced, but probably not enough yet.
So could you repeat the entire noise-cleaning steps ONE more time after this ?

third step finished

After you have done these 3 corrections, export again to mp3 and reupload here, and I’ll have another listen. If you follow my step-by-step, you should be able to do it easily. But if anything is still unclear and you may not understand one of the steps, please don’t hesitate to ask immediately. There will always be someone in the forum who can help.

Don’t despair ! We’re getting there. The beginnings are always tricky but once you get over the initial problems, it will get easier with each recording.
You have a good reading voice, that's already a big bonus ... and the technical bits we will solve together here. :)

Good luck !

Sonia

Post Posted:: October 21st, 2017, 4:59 pm 

I think I've actually, really, finally got it!! :D

I did all three steps, I just hope I did them all right! Thank you so much for all your help and patience!

Post Posted:: Yesterday, 1:07 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

Yes, wonderful Acire, now your technical settings are all correct. Don't change them again, they should stay the way they are now.

Also the volume has been reduced to 87.4 dB, which is excellent.

The only thing Checker still fails me is the background noise, but actually in your recording proper I don't hear too much noise. So maybe you should have done this noise-cleaning proces TWICE. You probably only did it once, if I'm not mistaken.
But it's the last few seconds where you don't speak that have an extreme noise level and it's that part that makes the checker fail it. I tried removing those seconds and the test is passing then on all levels.

So: I will mark your Test finally OK because I think you now have learnt about all the basic tools you need to make a good recording.

What I would strongly suggest for your first "real" recording is to look for the source of the background noise. Maybe close a window against traffic, or unplug any electric appliance like a fan while you record, or put the microphone a bit further away from the computer. It would be good if you could get rid of the background noise. If all else fails you need to do more rounds of noise cleaning, I gave you the step-by-step in my last post. Only having less noise to start with would be preferable, as too much noise cleaning can distort the sound in the long run.

All right, thank you for your persistence, and I wish you all the best for your first project. I hope you find something which catches your interest. It's of course up to you whatever you want to claim, but also here, as a suggestion, I would start with a short section, maybe the weekly poem or some such. It's recommendable to test the waters, you have it recorded in a few minutes and get feedback quite fast. That way, if you still have some problems, it's faster repaired and less time-consuming than working on a 1 hour-long chapter of a novel. ;)

Good luck and if there are still any questions, feel free to ask, either in here or in the help forum :)

Sonia