LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 3:52 pm

Post Posted:: June 19th, 2017, 11:22 pm 

Hiya~
Here's the link to my 1-minute test. I'm using a USB RODE mic and Audacity on Windows 10. It got kinda loud after compressing, but I checked my settings and it's recording at 89db so maybe I'm just being sensitive because I'm new. :P

There's sometimes a bit of bird/dog noise in the background or noise from people moving around the house, but I try to edit that stuff out normally, or do repeated noise removals to get it as quiet as I can (or just wait until a quieter time altogether!). If I'm doing a serious reading, I will try to muffle it as much as possible by building up pillows and blankets around my mic, but it can't really be stopped at the source, unfortunately. /disclaimer

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/peach_1_minute.mp3

[EDIT] Omg I have just seen the new version of Audacity, it made my background squeaky clean! I'll definitely be using Audacity 1.3.3 for the actual recordings~

Post Posted:: June 20th, 2017, 8:11 am 

Ooh, are you Australian? I love your voice!

You were right in thinking that it is a bit too loud. This recording is at 94 dB. It should be between 86 and 92, ideally 89. In Audacity, you can fix this by highlighting the whole track (CTRL+A) and then go to Effects>Amplify. In this case, you'll enter a negative value to get it a bit quieter, -5, then click ok.

Also, your bit rate is not right. When you export your de-amplified file, don't click Save until you've entered these settings:

Bit Rate Mode: Constant
Quality: 128 kbps
Channel Mode: Joint Stereo

Re-upload your new file and post the new link in this thread. That ought to take care of it!

(Incidentally, I didn't hear any bird/dog/people noise, so good job! I have two cats who like to do cat things while I'm recording. I also have a train track right outside my house, and trains seem to run on it every ten minutes during the night, so I understand the frustration!)

Journal of Francis Asbury, second Methodist bishop and traveling preacher in America from 1771-1815
Religion: Mushrooms on the Moor by Frank Boreham (died 1959)
Fantasy: The Double Life of Mr. Alfred Burton

Post Posted:: June 20th, 2017, 10:34 am 

Oh, I forgot to mention Checker! This program will check the tech settings and volume on your mp3 so that you know if there are any issues before you upload.

Journal of Francis Asbury, second Methodist bishop and traveling preacher in America from 1771-1815

Post Posted:: June 21st, 2017, 7:26 am 

Hi again!
Sorry it took so long, it REALLY took a long time to get the file to pass through Checker. I had to export 6 times from Audacity and literally just guess how much to amplify, since there was no way I could see to properly guarantee 89db - this is really difficult at first tbh!! I watched 3 tutorials and read blogs too - nothing they suggested works in this version of Audacity, or if it needed extra plugins like Mp3Gain or others, they don't work in Windows 10. What a nightmare!! Seriously.
Please let this pass because I really struggled. Nothing will tell me how to fix the *$%T* audio to 89db.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_peachesndreams.mp3

[EDIT] Yes, I'm Australian, by the way :P

Post Posted:: June 21st, 2017, 11:06 am 
LibriVox Admin Team

First things first: the volume is great on this one! You are ready to record, and can head over to the Readers Wanted forum(s) to claim something that looks interesting :thumbs:

I hear your frustration! When I record and need to adjust volume, I do this:
export the recording as mp3 and check it in the Checker. Let's say the Checker tells me that the volume of the recording is 82 dB. I know I want it to be around 89dB, so then I amplify by 89-82=7dB. Then I do that in Audacity :) Done! (Well, if I have to amplify a lot, I sometimes have to clean the background noise afterwards.)

I don't know if that helped at all... There is also a plugin called ReplayGain. You can find it in this list. I have no experience with it myself, but it is a plug-in for Audacity, and the beauty of it is that you then can check the volume in Audacity (no need for an extra program) and, apparently, it adjusts the volume for you, too.

Have fun! :) And please feel free to ask questions when something is just too confusing or difficult

~~ Thanks for your patience! Please feel free to send me a PM if you feel that I'm neglecting you ~~

Fairytales in Danish, Swedish, or Norwegian
Lots of short stories and myths that deal with nature from all over the world

Post Posted:: June 21st, 2017, 11:42 am 

kathrinee wrote:
First things first: the volume is great on this one! You are ready to record, and can head over to the Readers Wanted forum(s) to claim something that looks interesting :thumbs:

I hear your frustration! When I record and need to adjust volume, I do this:
export the recording as mp3 and check it in the Checker. Let's say the Checker tells me that the volume of the recording is 82 dB. I know I want it to be around 89dB, so then I amplify by 89-82=7dB. Then I do that in Audacity :) Done! (Well, if I have to amplify a lot, I sometimes have to clean the background noise afterwards.)

I don't know if that helped at all... There is also a plugin called ReplayGain. You can find it in this list. I have no experience with it myself, but it is a plug-in for Audacity, and the beauty of it is that you then can check the volume in Audacity (no need for an extra program) and, apparently, it adjusts the volume for you, too.

Have fun! :) And please feel free to ask questions when something is just too confusing or difficult

Thank youuuuu!
I appreciate the advice, honestly. I have been tearing my hair out.
From what I saw, ReplayGain doesn't work on Windows 10 (or not with my version of Audacity, can't remember which) - I already tried to download both that and Mp3Gain, to no help.
The Checker hasn't been telling me exactly how much the db is out - is that something I have to look for in another menu or something? From what I could see, it only told me the recording is outside the suitable parameters - didn't even tell me if it was too low or too high - like I said, I had to just change it slightly and re-export and keep using Checker til it passed.
I THOUGHT that was wrong, but I couldn't see the specifications! lol

Thank you so much for your help!! Hopefully I can get started on my first recording later today (it's almost 5am now, I'm out) :P

PS. I've re-installed the ReplayGain plugin and will try again to use it next time I record. Thank you for your link, it was different to the one I'd previously tried, so hopefully this one works! ^.^

Post Posted:: June 21st, 2017, 12:18 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Oh, I totally see how that could make you tear your hair out!

Re: Checker and seeing exactly what the volume is. When I look at my checker, sort of in the middle (below where the filename and Passed / Passed with Warnings /Failed comes up), there are two tabs. One says Validation and the other says Information. Do you have that on your checker, too? If so, if you click the one that says Information, about halfway down it should say "Volume" and whatever dB the recording is. Is it the same in your Checker? :) (If not, I'll play with mine and see if there is something to click in a menu or something, so that you can see it.)

If you have replaygain-specific questions, we can try post them in the Need Help? Have advice?-forum, someone who knows more about it is more likely to see it there.

~~ Thanks for your patience! Please feel free to send me a PM if you feel that I'm neglecting you ~~

Fairytales in Danish, Swedish, or Norwegian
Lots of short stories and myths that deal with nature from all over the world

Post Posted:: June 21st, 2017, 8:27 pm 

I do know that with ReplayGain (and I think probably most other Audacity plug-ins), you actually have to enable it before it's ready for use. ReplayGain is helpful, and I really like it (I just installed it maybe a month or so ago), but I rarely suggest it to people who are brand new, just because of the extra step(s) to install. (By the way, I have Windows 10 also, and am able to use it.) But, here are those extra steps if you want to try:

Somewhere in your program files, you should see a folder for Audacity. Inside of that, there is another folder called Plug-Ins. Drag the ReplayGain program that you downloaded into that Plug-Ins folder. Now, open Audacity, and look in the Effects menu. You may be able to see ReplayGain somewhere in there. On mine, it's about 3/4 of the way down. If you don't see it, you'll need to enable it, like this:

At the top of the Effects menu, you should see Add/Remove Plug-Ins. Click that, and it will show you all plug-ins that are currently available, in alphabetical order. Assuming that you put ReplayGain into the right folder after downloading, you should see it in this list. It will probably say Disabled next to it. Click it, and then click the button below that says Enable. Click ok, and now you should hopefully see it in your Effects menu.

Post Posted:: June 21st, 2017, 10:31 pm 

Oh, thank you both!
:clap:

I'm pretty excited to get this process streamlined, so every bit helps, haha!

Post Posted:: July 4th, 2017, 7:50 am 

PeachesnDreams wrote:
Hi again!
Sorry it took so long, it REALLY took a long time to get the file to pass through Checker. I had to export 6 times from Audacity and literally just guess how much to amplify, since there was no way I could see to properly guarantee 89db - this is really difficult at first tbh!! I watched 3 tutorials and read blogs too - nothing they suggested works in this version of Audacity, or if it needed extra plugins like Mp3Gain or others, they don't work in Windows 10. What a nightmare!! Seriously.
Please let this pass because I really struggled. Nothing will tell me how to fix the *$%T* audio to 89db.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_peachesndreams.mp3

[EDIT] Yes, I'm Australian, by the way :P

Nothing wrong with that accent!

You will find quite a few Aussies in the Librivox membership - although some of us occasionally try to hide the fact.

Have fun!

Cheers

My Librivox page