LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 12:59 am

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post Posted:: June 4th, 2017, 4:10 pm 

Good Day to all the wonderful recorders out there.
I have posted the below test recordings. One for me - JayKay , Jaanu , EnNar

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jaykay.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jaanu.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_EnNar.mp3

Please let me know the feedback.
Thanks
JayKay

Post Posted:: June 4th, 2017, 7:46 pm 

Hi, JayKay! Welcome!

The technical settings are all ok for all of these files, but they are all too quiet. I'm curious what your plan is for reading, since there are three of you. Generally, each reader needs to have their own forum name so that they'll each have their own catalog page, but it sounds like Jaanu and EnNar are minors, and I don't know if that makes a difference. Do you plan to record stories or chapters together, maybe with each of you taking a character? I do know there is a recording of The Velveteen Rabbit that was done this way. It was a mother and daughter, I believe. But as far as I am aware, this is a special case. Or will you, Jaanu, and EnNar each record separate sections?

The reason I ask is mainly because the answer could affect what recommendations I can give you to make it easy to adjust your volume in future recordings.

Also, though, I do know that generally, it is preferred that each reader has their own account. I'm not an admin though, and I've only been hanging around LibriVox for less than a year now, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about in this case! :lol: I'd wait until an admin responds, if I were you, and either gives you the go-ahead or makes an alternate suggestion.

Journal of Francis Asbury, second Methodist bishop and traveling preacher in America from 1771-1815
Religion: Mushrooms on the Moor by Frank Boreham (died 1959)
Fantasy: The Double Life of Mr. Alfred Burton

Post Posted:: June 5th, 2017, 3:44 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

We do have families who are all registered but only one member actually posts - and probably does all the editing etc. So that isn't necessarily a problem. As this is a "technical" test , we only need the person doing the sending and editing to do the test really :D

Anne

Post Posted:: June 5th, 2017, 5:23 pm 

Thanks, Anne. I wasn't sure how that worked. I remember seeing another situation where one person was posting for a group who all planned to read together, and an admin told them they needed to register separately, but I think they were friends or coworkers or something.

JayKay, there are a couple of different ways to go about increasing the volume (and determining how much to increase), but I am actually posting from work right now and don't want to go into detail. I will give you some suggestions when I get home tonight, if you still need them.

Journal of Francis Asbury, second Methodist bishop and traveling preacher in America from 1771-1815

Post Posted:: June 5th, 2017, 6:54 pm 

Thanks Anne and Devorah. Appreciate your time and feedback.
I didn't know how it works as well. Sorry I posted three Anne. I thought it is to see and give comments on how we read ( pronunciation, style ( If any) ) as well. I actually created three logins for myself and the kids.
JayKay, EnNar, Jaanu

I think we would do separate ones and not necessarily same project. But thats a good idea too.
I did most of my schooling outside the US. I just wasn't sure how clear my pronunciation is for the recipient and if I had to change anything. The kids go to school here since pre-k. They both love books and we listen to very many in libriVox and enjoy it. So we would like to see if we can contribute :)

Devorah, yes please, let me know about the volume. I let the volume be as it was specified in the site 3/4 of the sound. Should I increase it ? While you record, do you use headset to record? I just did it over speaker. we used a Mac

What about next steps? Should we choose a book and start recording or look out for any suggestion ? do we get projects assigned or lookout ? Any tips there will be helpful.

Also can you let know if there were any other noise or anything else that I should be aware of ?

Thank you for your time. Appreciate the responses
Regards
JayKay

Post Posted:: June 5th, 2017, 7:42 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

I'll leave Devorah to deal with the test, I'll just say that some built in microphones are fine , some not . It depends on the quality of the sound card. The advantage of using a USB microphone/headset is that it bypasses the computer sound card.
The children having registered means they will be able to be credited with their recordings , they'll get their forum name in the catalogue and have their own reader page. Which they would like I think :D

Anne

Post Posted:: June 5th, 2017, 10:21 pm 

JayKay wrote:
Thanks Anne and Devorah. Appreciate your time and feedback.
I didn't know how it works as well. Sorry I posted three Anne. I thought it is to see and give comments on how we read ( pronunciation, style ( If any) ) as well. I actually created three logins for myself and the kids.
JayKay, EnNar, Jaanu

No, it is just to check your technical settings. There is a pretty well-established guideline here that we do not offer critique on style, pacing, pronunciation, or anything of that nature unless a reader asks for it. If you would like this kind of feedback, I can offer you my opinion, but it is only an opinion.

JayKay wrote:
I think we would do separate ones and not necessarily same project. But thats a good idea too.
I did most of my schooling outside the US. I just wasn't sure how clear my pronunciation is for the recipient and if I had to change anything. The kids go to school here since pre-k. They both love books and we listen to very many in libriVox and enjoy it. So we would like to see if we can contribute :)

I thought you were all clear and understandable.

JayKay wrote:
Devorah, yes please, let me know about the volume. I let the volume be as it was specified in the site 3/4 of the sound. Should I increase it ? While you record, do you use headset to record? I just did it over speaker. we used a Mac

Ok, so as I mentioned, there are various ways to check your volume. One program that most of us use is called checker. How it works is, once you have exported your mp3, you can drag it over into the checker window and checker will determine whether all the technical settings are correct and whether the volume is within an acceptable range. One plus to this method is that it's very simple to install and use. One downside is that you can only check your file after you have exported it, which means that, if changes are needed, you have to go back into Audacity, make your changes, and then export again.

Another method is ReplayGain. This is a pretty neat tool that I just started using recently, although it's been around for awhile. There are some extra steps to install it, which is the downside (that link gives detailed instructions), but it runs within Audacity itself. So, before you export, you can use ReplayGain to determine what the volume currently is and/or to automatically adjust it to where it should be.

You asked whether you should increase the input on your mic, and that's not a bad idea, since all three tests came out a little too quiet, but they weren't all at the same level. Since you have three different voices you'll be recording, I would think that ReplayGain might be the better option for you, partly because it runs within Audacity and partly because it automatically adjusts your volume for you. In other words, you won't have to worry about amplifying your recording by 9 dB, Jaanu's by 4 dB, and EnNar's by 5 dB. It will be the exact same process for each of you. (I normally don't recommend this program to new readers, just because of the extra steps to install, but I do think it might be good in your case.)

When I first began reading for LibriVox, I used a headset mic, but I didn't like it very much for a couple of reasons. For one thing, it got to be a little uncomfortable if I had to wear it a long time. But also, I found I had a big problem with plosives sometimes (sounds like p, b, f, anything that causes you to suddenly blow out a puff of air) because the microphone was so close to my mouth. After a few months, that headset died anyway, so I upgraded to a desktop mic that I like much better. Both of them were connected by USB. However, any kind of microphone that is easy for you to use and has a decent sound is just fine. Your tests all sounded good to me as far as the sound quality.

JayKay wrote:
What about next steps? Should we choose a book and start recording or look out for any suggestion ? do we get projects assigned or lookout ? Any tips there will be helpful.

Once you have adjusted the volume on these tests and get the ok to record for real, you will head over to any of the Readers Wanted forums and browse for projects that are in progress that you can join. You can sign up to read anything there that interests you. There are usually short stories, poetry, nonfiction, novels (you would sign up for these chapter by chapter), character roles in plays, and more. No one will assign you anything, you just sign up for what you want to read.

You certainly can choose your own book to record (as long as it is public domain), but it is highly recommended that you start out by joining already existing projects first, to get an idea of how much actually goes into the recording and editing. Also, if and when you start your own project, you will have more of an administrative role for that project, not just recording.

JayKay wrote:
Also can you let know if there were any other noise or anything else that I should be aware of ?

I think I heard a thump or two in there somewhere, but I'm not really sure. If there is a thump or bump in your recording, it won't necessarily make it unusable, but we do try to minimize them as much as possible. Anything like accidentally bumping the desk or the microphone itself, or even the cord of the microphone (if it has one) can cause them. I have to be careful of my creaky chair while recording, and sit almost perfectly still. :lol:

One thing I almost forgot to mention is that, for your actual recordings, it's important that you leave 5 seconds of silence on the end of the recording. And I think that's it! Sorry for the long post, but I hope I answered all of your questions! Please go ahead and fix the volume of these and re-post. And then you should probably be all set! :D

Post Posted:: June 5th, 2017, 10:28 pm 

Oh, also, I didn't go into detail about how to adjust volume without using ReplayGain, but it would be done with the Amplify tool in Audacity. You would need to enter the amount to want to amplify by, which is a different amount for each of you. If you want a more detailed explanation of this, I'll be happy to give it.

Post Posted:: June 6th, 2017, 6:20 pm 

Thanks much for all the suggestions and time.
Will get the replay gain and resend.
Thanks
JayKay

Post Posted:: June 6th, 2017, 7:00 pm 

Hi Devorah

I have reposted with the replayGain update : https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jaanu.mp3
Can you please let me know if ok.

Thanks again for the input
Regards
JayKay

Post Posted:: June 6th, 2017, 7:00 pm 

Hi Devorah

I have reposted with the replayGain update : https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jaanu.mp3
Can you please let me know if ok.

Thanks again for the input
Regards
JayKay

Post Posted:: June 7th, 2017, 4:02 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Jaanu's test is now good! The volume is just right, all the technical settings are correct, and is now ready to record for real :clap:

~~ Thanks for your patience! Please feel free to send me a PM if you feel that I'm neglecting you ~~

Fairytales in Danish, Swedish, or Norwegian
Lots of short stories and myths that deal with nature from all over the world

Post Posted:: June 7th, 2017, 10:04 pm 

Great job! Like Kathrine said, you're all ready to go! It's not necessary to post the updated versions of the other two, by the way. Just so long as we know that you know how to change the volume when necessary, which you now do! Have fun! :clap:

Post Posted:: June 16th, 2017, 6:46 pm 

Thanks Katherine and Devorah.
I am taking a look at the readers wanted section. Would love to start with something small and see how it goes. so excited.
Thanks much for your inputs.
I saw one where it says "Just choose a Public Domain short story (under 60 minutes) in English and when you have recorded it, post it here." - what is the public domain that is being talked about? Should the entire story be available online on a particular website.
can one of you please direct me ?

Thanks much again
JayKay

Post Posted:: June 17th, 2017, 3:05 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

librivox is hosted in the US, so we need to adhere to the US laws on public domain (that means anything that has been cleared by gutenberg.org or hathitrust.org, or scan/hard copy of things published 1922 or before). In addition, if you are in a different country, you should adhere to the laws on public domain in that country. :)

So, yes, normally one would find the whole text on a website and read it from there. If you are interested in reading for instance for the Short Story collection and like, say, Chekov, I'd go to gutenberg.org, do a search on him. You would find several short story collections, and could choose any story from there.

Did that help? :) I tried to understand this when I first joined here, but I found it so confusing that I stuck to group projects where the text has already been determined for the longest time, so all I had to do was check that I more or less liked the kind of text, claim a section, and record :)

~~ Thanks for your patience! Please feel free to send me a PM if you feel that I'm neglecting you ~~

Fairytales in Danish, Swedish, or Norwegian
Lots of short stories and myths that deal with nature from all over the world