You can check your own Technical Specifications!

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

DavidPhillips wrote: June 28th, 2020, 4:15 am I am using an iMac running 10.15.4. I have opened the file in iTunes and I find no "Summary" tab. Further I right clicked and opened "get info" - again no "summary" tab. I'm not sure where to go from here. And none of the information provided shows volume -????
It's possible that Apple has changed things. I suggest using Checker: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Checker
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
WillowSageBee

Post by WillowSageBee »

I used the checker on my first test but I see that I need to post the link to the actual recording for a real person to give me the okay before I do a real recording...but where to I put the link to my test recording? The Checker said I was fine (after a preliminary failed check XD)

Here's the link in case I'm supposed to post it here!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_yourforumname.mp3
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

WillowSageBee wrote: April 16th, 2021, 4:25 pm I used the checker on my first test but I see that I need to post the link to the actual recording for a real person to give me the okay before I do a real recording...but where to I put the link to my test recording? The Checker said I was fine (after a preliminary failed check XD)

Here's the link in case I'm supposed to post it here!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_yourforumname.mp3
I see you figured it out. :)

For anyone else reading, you upload it and post a new thread with the link in it, as detailed in the instructions for the 1-minute test.
hunterv

Post by hunterv »

As a newbie, I found the Checker to be easy to use and very helpful. This is a great resource!
Victoria Hunter
Lifelover

Post by Lifelover »

I tried to use the checker. Got an error message for unknown reason. I'm using ProTools and that shows the correct Kbps. I guess I'll wait for a legitimate evaluator to see how my file is.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Hello Esther
(later). "Sarah's husband wrote it"

I have used Checker.exe for both my 1-minute test and for several PL assigments.
I remember seeing someone, somewhere, say "My husband wrote it", so if this is not you, then I should be addressing someone else's husband.

Can Checker be invoked with a filename from the Win command line:-

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Checker\checker.exe" ghohor058_terrorbynight_various_cs_128kb.mp3
I tried this on my Win10 and while Checker.exe loaded, it did not open the nominated file.
Thanks in advance to Esther or whoever picks this up, and of course, the corresponding husband!
P.S. Any Checker.exe command-line switches would be welcome, too!
Chris
I adopt YOUR orphaned chapters, for FREE!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We don't tell other volunteers how to do things or ask them to make changes. And not everyone uses the same software.

Anne
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

annise wrote: January 11th, 2022, 3:31 pm We don't tell other volunteers how to do things or ask them to make changes. And not everyone uses the same software.
Hello Anne.
I may not have made myself clear.
I wasn't trying to tell anyone how to use Checker. I just wanted to know how to make better use of it myself (in this case by automating its use for me).
Cheers
Chris
I adopt YOUR orphaned chapters, for FREE!
KIKIGOLD

Post by KIKIGOLD »

Hello! I am new --
Can anyone suggest the easiest way to reduce the volume?

I having been using the Limiter on Audacity but I am still a little high...

Best,

Karen
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

KIKIGOLD wrote: July 11th, 2022, 5:41 pm Hello! I am new --
Can anyone suggest the easiest way to reduce the volume?

I having been using the Limiter on Audacity but I am still a little high...

Best,

Karen
Limiter will shave down some of the peaks, the "blasts" that sometimes happen on vowels.

To reduce the overall volume, use Amplify, and put in a negative amount. So if Checker says your volume is 92.3, do Amplify and put it for something like -3 (to get it to 89.3, close enough). :)
Jezry

Post by Jezry »

Hello! After submitting our samples, when can we expected to be "[OK]ed" and jump into recording? I just want to make sure my stuff didn't get lost in the shuffle!

Thanks so much!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

It won't get lost. As everyone is a volunteer with no fixed free time and they live in many different time zones it can take anything from 5 minutes to a couple of days-.

Anne
Hanin2005

Post by Hanin2005 »

is there a specific text we are required to read? can i do the test for any book I want and if it is in Arabic language, will this be okay?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Hanin2005 wrote: June 10th, 2023, 2:57 am is there a specific text we are required to read? can i do the test for any book I want and if it is in Arabic language, will this be okay?
"Required"? No. We do have a suggested text, which helps catch the sounds that can cause problems with bad mic placement (TH, K, etc.). But that text isn't in Arabic. :) If you want to use it, it's in the instructions, here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
ThePhantomVoice

Post by ThePhantomVoice »

Hello! First time on here. I was wondering where you find the script for the 1-Minute Test Recording.