How to tell if a project has a Dedicated Proof Listener(DPL)

All languages: Advertise for proof-listeners or help with editing in ongoing projects.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The subject line for projects now indicate if a project does not already have someone who has volunteered to listen to all the chapters - a Dedicated Proof Listener or DPL.

All projects which have a DPL look like this: [GENRE/LANGUAGE] Title by Author - mc

For those without a DPL, there should be a tilde at the beginning of the subject line:
~[GENRE/LANGUAGE] Title by Author - mc

You may volunteer in the project thread to proof-listen just a chapter or two in projects like this.

Soloists and BCs: Please still use the Listeners Wanted forum to advertise for PL's/DPL's. This is not a replacement to that system, but a small supplement.

The purpose of this is to make it easier at a glance to see which projects have no DPL right from the thread listings. People who want to quickly PL a few sections wouldn't have to search quite as hard to find available sections to PL.

(And, as always, projects with DPL's will have their name listed at the top of the Magic Window in the project thread itself.)

Another method to see projects without DPLs is via the Project Status Table in the wiki, here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Project_Status_Table
It is updated once a week or so, so it may not be 100% current.

Any questions or comments? Please post them here.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

Cool beans! (VERY cool beans!)

~S~
Vision issues and routine, long travel make audbiobooks a MUST for me-- THANK YOU. Apologies in advance for ypto's in my posts.
Raybrite

Post by Raybrite »

I live in the Philippines and when I post something it takes a day for me to get an answer ( like volunteering). Do I have to wait until I get an okay before I listen to a recording?
Ken :)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

No, people often don't . If they have a spare bit of time at that moment it is better to do it then than not at all. And in the rare cases when 2 people do it , well the world doesn't end (It hasn't so far anyhow)

Don't worry so much about making "mistakes" - everyone makes them, that is how we all have learnt. Everyone comes here with different areas of expertise, all the books are different and have different ways of handling them and there are as few rules as possible - except the major one "Be Nice" and you fit that rule beautifully :D.

Anne
GenesisMyers

Post by GenesisMyers »

If a see a file that needs a PL listener how do I sign up to do it, do I just listen and write what needs to be fixed in the comments or do I have to be assigned first?

Thanks,
GenesisMyers :help:
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

If the project already has a DPL, then you should let that person do the listening. But if the project does not, and you are ready to DPL, then ask if you can. Just post in the project thread, the Book Coordinator will let you know that you can start!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

The FAQ for proof-listeners is here: viewtopic.php?p=318667#p318667

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

As a DPL, you have a handy table where you can see at a glance what sections you need to PL.

- Go to your reader catalog page (or click on your name link in any magic window in which you're assigned sections as a reader)
- In the gray box at the top which gives all your reader information, there's a link, "Reader section details." Click on it.
- The Reader View tab shows the sections you're assigned as a reader. The PL View tab shows the sections you're assigned as DPL.

You can bookmark the Reader Section Details page, but you'll have to click the PL View tab when you want to view it.
denisedee

Post by denisedee »

Hi Tricia & team

I have a question about what's stated above: "For those without a DPL, there should be a tilde at the beginning of the subject line:
~[GENRE/LANGUAGE] Title by Author".

I found that's right, but more than once, browsing 'tilde' ads I have discovered they actually have a DPL or PL already (btw, either stated clearly in the MW or sometimes not that clear (?) meaning, no name inscribed, but some recorded chapters are marked pl-ok).

Any thoughts how can I find the relevant ones, i.d. those who really still need a DPL/PL?
Maybe that tilde should be removed once the project has its DPL? :hmm:

Thanks
Denise
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Maybe that tilde should be removed once the project has its DPL? :hmm:
Yes, they should be. But it's a manual thing, and it can be error prone. :)

The ones with some things marked PL OK but no DPL listed in the magic window itself - those don't have a DPL and still should have the tilde. So those are open for you to volunteer as DPL.

The only other way to tell if a project has a DPL or not (aside from combing through all the project threads) is to hang out in Listeners & Editors Wanted and look at the pinned threads there. However, sometimes these don't get moved right away when a DPL volunteers - again, humans are error prone. ;)
denisedee

Post by denisedee »

Thanks Tricia! I'll do that :)
Denise
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

TriciaG wrote:The only other way to tell if a project has a DPL or not (aside from combing through all the project threads) is to hang out in Listeners & Editors Wanted and look at the pinned threads there. However, sometimes these don't get moved right away when a DPL volunteers - again, humans are error prone. ;)
At least for the time being, there is another alternative . . . we are trialing a report listing all projects without an assigned DPL. It's available on the Project Status Table page in the Wiki here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Project_Status_Table

Creating the tables is a manual process and its only done every week or so, so be aware that the info may be a bit out of date.

MaryAnn
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

icequeen wrote: ↑May 5th, 2013, 4:28 pm If the project already has a DPL, then you should let that person do the listening. But if the project does not, and you are ready to DPL, then ask if you can. Just post in the project thread, the Book Coordinator will let you know that you can start!
Hi icequeen,
I've noticed that a lot of volunteers listen to the recording(s) on the project they want to DPL, then post their claim as DPL and PL notes in the same post- before they officially get the OK to begin listening. Is this ok?

Thanks,
~JayKitty76
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Well, I would say that it depends on the Book Coordinator. It could be that the person who is claiming to be a DPL for a particular project wants to show that they are eager to take on the job, and will go ahead and listen to a section before the BC accepts their offer. It could also be that the perspective DPL has worked for the BC in the past, and knows that they will get the job and are wanting to get started before the OK is given. I personally would wait for the OK before I listen to a section, even though I did start early once. The project was in Latin, and no one was jumping up and claiming the DPL job. But, I do wait because the BC may already have someone in mind and I don't want to step on someone's toes. There is no rule against it.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

icequeen wrote: ↑September 6th, 2018, 7:58 pm Well, I would say that it depends on the Book Coordinator. It could be that the person who is claiming to be a DPL for a particular project wants to show that they are eager to take on the job, and will go ahead and listen to a section before the BC accepts their offer. It could also be that the perspective DPL has worked for the BC in the past, and knows that they will get the job and are wanting to get started before the OK is given. I personally would wait for the OK before I listen to a section, even though I did start early once. The project was in Latin, and no one was jumping up and claiming the DPL job. But, I do wait because the BC may already have someone in mind and I don't want to step on someone's toes. There is no rule against it.
Thank you! This is definitely helpful, I will wait to post PL notes before I get the OK. Woodcraft Boys at Sunset Island is my first role as DPL and I did wait to get the OK before I began listening, but I've noticed that a lot of volunteers do not wait and I was wondering if that was ok. Thanks for your quick reply!

~JayKitty76
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~