1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Post Reply
bhanups1991
Posts: 19
Joined: June 6th, 2021, 3:31 pm
Contact:

Post by bhanups1991 » June 7th, 2021, 3:19 am

Hi

Here's the link to my 1 Minute Test: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_bhanups1991.mp3

Following are the required details:
Software used: Audacity 3.0.2
Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition
Mic Type: 3.5 mm Jack type (the one that is inbuilt in the headsets)

I've not removed the noise intentionally, neither have I used any other tool like Amplification, Levelling, Bass boost etc. as I want to know what settings/dB values you'd recommend based upon my setup.

I'd love to hear your feedback.

Thanks
bhanu

sjmarky
Posts: 3358
Joined: August 28th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Location: Poictesme
Contact:

Post by sjmarky » June 7th, 2021, 8:53 am

I reviewed your test sample and some changes are needed. LibriVox requires audio that is 128kbps constant bit rate, 44.1kHz sample rate, mono, and between 86db and 92db, preferably 89-90. Your test is 164kbpa, stereo and much too low at 73.9db.

First, if you have a gain control on your mic, adjust it so your raw recording has wave forms that peak at about the 0.5 marks in the Audacity window. If necessary, adjust the volume level before exporting by going to Filters>Amplify. An alternative is to use Filters>Normalize, choose peak and set it to -3 or -4db.

When exporting your MP3 from Audacity, be sure to first check Bit Rate Mode - Constant, then select 128kb from the pull-down menu, and check Force Export to Mono.

You can check your audio yourself by downloading the free Checker app: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/

Please record a new test with the same file name and post it as a reply. I’ll return and review it for you.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

bhanups1991
Posts: 19
Joined: June 6th, 2021, 3:31 pm
Contact:

Post by bhanups1991 » June 7th, 2021, 2:42 pm

sjmarky wrote:
June 7th, 2021, 8:53 am
I reviewed your test sample and some changes are needed. LibriVox requires audio that is 128kbps constant bit rate, 44.1kHz sample rate, mono, and between 86db and 92db, preferably 89-90. Your test is 164kbpa, stereo and much too low at 73.9db.

First, if you have a gain control on your mic, adjust it so your raw recording has wave forms that peak at about the 0.5 marks in the Audacity window. If necessary, adjust the volume level before exporting by going to Filters>Amplify. An alternative is to use Filters>Normalize, choose peak and set it to -3 or -4db.

When exporting your MP3 from Audacity, be sure to first check Bit Rate Mode - Constant, then select 128kb from the pull-down menu, and check Force Export to Mono.

You can check your audio yourself by downloading the free Checker app: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/

Please record a new test with the same file name and post it as a reply. I’ll return and review it for you.
Thanks for your feedback. Appreciate it.
I have recorded the test once again. Checker shows "Passed."

I hope this will work now. Here's the new file: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_bhanups1991.mp3

Thanks
bhanu

msfry
Posts: 8171
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » June 8th, 2021, 12:47 pm

Hello, Bhanu. Thanks for posting your 1 minute test. This is the best way to get your system checked out before leaping into projects that will be catalogued for public consumption. I listened to both of your test files, and in both cases it seems to me that you are speaking underwater. I don't know the tech term for that, and I don't think Checker tests for that, but sjmarky is an expert and can help you get that straight if you want to.

Hope to see you around the LV playground! Come on over the the Weekly and Fortnightly Poetry projects. It's a great way to meet readers. We have lots of fun, the files are short, and generally quite interesting. :)
Michele Fry, CC
“People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.” ― Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

Love Stories #4
Coffee Break #32 - WILDERNESS
Coffee Break #33 - GARDENING

bhanups1991
Posts: 19
Joined: June 6th, 2021, 3:31 pm
Contact:

Post by bhanups1991 » June 8th, 2021, 12:52 pm

msfry wrote:
June 8th, 2021, 12:47 pm
Hello, Bhanu. Thanks for posting your 1 minute test. This is the best way to get your system checked out before leaping into projects that will be catalogued for public consumption. I listened to both of your test files, and in both cases it seems to me that you are speaking underwater. I don't know the tech term for that, and I don't think Checker tests for that, but sjmarky is an expert and can help you get that straight if you want to.

Hope to see you around the LV playground! Come on over the the Weekly and Fortnightly Poetry projects. It's a great way to meet readers. We have lots of fun, the files are short, and generally quite interesting. :)
Underwater!! :D
Please take me out @sjmarky and @msfry else I'll drown without hitting the LV playground even once.

Jokes apart. Please help.

Thanks.
bhanu

sjmarky
Posts: 3358
Joined: August 28th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Location: Poictesme
Contact:

Post by sjmarky » June 8th, 2021, 1:09 pm

Your second test meets all the technical specs, but the audio is severely distorted and has excessive background noise. I don't know if your mic is defective or there is some other cause, but it is barely intelligible. I'm afraid I don't have any advice other than to try a different, preferably USB, microphone, but I'm hesitant suggesting purchases when I don't know what will help.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

bhanups1991
Posts: 19
Joined: June 6th, 2021, 3:31 pm
Contact:

Post by bhanups1991 » June 8th, 2021, 1:25 pm

sjmarky wrote:
June 8th, 2021, 1:09 pm
Your second test meets all the technical specs, but the audio is severely distorted and has excessive background noise. I don't know if your mic is defective or there is some other cause, but it is barely intelligible. I'm afraid I don't have any advice other than to try a different, preferably USB, microphone, but I'm hesitant suggesting purchases when I don't know what will help.
I understand. No problem.
Anyway, I have tried one more recording. I hope this will pass. This is the best I can do with the setup I currently have.
Here's the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_bhanups1991.mp3

Please give your feedback.

Thanks
bhanu

msfry
Posts: 8171
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » June 8th, 2021, 2:20 pm

This one sounds better, but it failed Checker in 2 ways:

The sampling rate should be 44.1 kHz (44,100 Hz).

The volume, at 94dB, falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB). Your gain was probably set too high. Lower it a bit, re-record, and check again until you get it within range. 89dB is optimal. In Audacity, you can use the Amplify Effect to raise or lower volume. It's very gentle and works great. You grab the file that needs adjustment, go Effect/Amplify/OK (typing in the required + or - number).

FYI, even experienced readers pass all their files through Checker. It's a great tool.
Michele Fry, CC
“People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.” ― Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

Love Stories #4
Coffee Break #32 - WILDERNESS
Coffee Break #33 - GARDENING

bhanups1991
Posts: 19
Joined: June 6th, 2021, 3:31 pm
Contact:

Post by bhanups1991 » June 8th, 2021, 7:09 pm

msfry wrote:
June 8th, 2021, 2:20 pm
This one sounds better, but it failed Checker in 2 ways:

The sampling rate should be 44.1 kHz (44,100 Hz).

The volume, at 94dB, falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB). Your gain was probably set too high. Lower it a bit, re-record, and check again until you get it within range. 89dB is optimal. In Audacity, you can use the Amplify Effect to raise or lower volume. It's very gentle and works great. You grab the file that needs adjustment, go Effect/Amplify/OK (typing in the required + or - number).

FYI, even experienced readers pass all their files through Checker. It's a great tool.
Sure. At least you said that this one sounds better. That's a relief.
Let me do the changes you mentioned. I'll post it once I am done.

Thanks
bhanu

bhanups1991
Posts: 19
Joined: June 6th, 2021, 3:31 pm
Contact:

Post by bhanups1991 » June 12th, 2021, 12:24 am

Hi

I have recorded it one last time.
Here's the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_bhanups1991.mp3

Please check if it is okay?

Thanks
bhanu

bhanups1991
Posts: 19
Joined: June 6th, 2021, 3:31 pm
Contact:

Post by bhanups1991 » June 14th, 2021, 11:58 am

bhanups1991 wrote:
June 12th, 2021, 12:24 am
Hi

I have recorded it one last time.
Here's the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_bhanups1991.mp3

Please check if it is okay?

Thanks
@msfry
@sjmarky

Could you provide your feedback on this?
I tried to claim some sections to record. There, I've been asked not to start any recording/narration unless I hear an "OK" here.

Thanks
bhanu

bhanups1991
Posts: 19
Joined: June 6th, 2021, 3:31 pm
Contact:

Post by bhanups1991 » June 16th, 2021, 12:01 pm

bhanups1991 wrote:
June 14th, 2021, 11:58 am
bhanups1991 wrote:
June 12th, 2021, 12:24 am
Hi

I have recorded it one last time.
Here's the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_bhanups1991.mp3

Please check if it is okay?

Thanks
@msfry
@sjmarky

Could you provide your feedback on this?
I tried to claim some sections to record. There, I've been asked not to start any recording/narration unless I hear an "OK" here.

Thanks
Anything? :hmm:
bhanu

msfry
Posts: 8171
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » June 17th, 2021, 6:50 am

bhanups1991 wrote:
June 16th, 2021, 12:01 pm
bhanups1991 wrote:
June 14th, 2021, 11:58 am
bhanups1991 wrote:
June 12th, 2021, 12:24 am
Hi

I have recorded it one last time.
Here's the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_bhanups1991.mp3

Please check if it is okay?

Thanks
@msfry
@sjmarky

Could you provide your feedback on this?
I tried to claim some sections to record. There, I've been asked not to start any recording/narration unless I hear an "OK" here.

Thanks
Anything? :hmm:
This one passes the Checker test, and sounds pretty good. There is some kind of WA WA in the background (you can hear it isolated in the 5 seconds at the end), which I believe could be reduced with Noise Reduction*.

*Noise Reduction. In Audacity, select about 4 seconds of silence from the end, go Effects/Noise Reduction/Get Noise Profile. Then select the entire file, go Effect/Noise Reduction/set settings to 12, 6, 3, Reduce/OK. This should cut down the background noise by about half, without affecting your voice quality. NOTE: Different people use different settings, so feel free to experiment, and beware that if you do additional passes it might begin to affect the quality.
You want some background noise, but not too much and not too variable. I apply NR to all my files, being as I record where the interstate highway noise a mile away is constant 24/7.

Volume, at 91.4, is at the high end of the range, and could easily be modified -2dB using the Amplify effect, or lower your volume a wee tad before recording. No need to alter this test file, but you might check for these yourself before submitting files to an actual project.

An admin will come along and mark your file OK in due time. And you are good to go! :thumbs:
Michele Fry, CC
“People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.” ― Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

Love Stories #4
Coffee Break #32 - WILDERNESS
Coffee Break #33 - GARDENING

bhanups1991
Posts: 19
Joined: June 6th, 2021, 3:31 pm
Contact:

Post by bhanups1991 » June 17th, 2021, 11:17 am

msfry wrote:
June 17th, 2021, 6:50 am
bhanups1991 wrote:
June 16th, 2021, 12:01 pm
bhanups1991 wrote:
June 14th, 2021, 11:58 am


@msfry
@sjmarky

Could you provide your feedback on this?
I tried to claim some sections to record. There, I've been asked not to start any recording/narration unless I hear an "OK" here.

Thanks
Anything? :hmm:
This one passes the Checker test, and sounds pretty good. There is some kind of WA WA in the background (you can hear it isolated in the 5 seconds at the end), which I believe could be reduced with Noise Reduction*.

*Noise Reduction. In Audacity, select about 4 seconds of silence from the end, go Effects/Noise Reduction/Get Noise Profile. Then select the entire file, go Effect/Noise Reduction/set settings to 12, 6, 3, Reduce/OK. This should cut down the background noise by about half, without affecting your voice quality. NOTE: Different people use different settings, so feel free to experiment, and beware that if you do additional passes it might begin to affect the quality.
You want some background noise, but not too much and not too variable. I apply NR to all my files, being as I record where the interstate highway noise a mile away is constant 24/7.

Volume, at 91.4, is at the high end of the range, and could easily be modified -2dB using the Amplify effect, or lower your volume a wee tad before recording. No need to alter this test file, but you might check for these yourself before submitting files to an actual project.

An admin will come along and mark your file OK in due time. And you are good to go! :thumbs:
Thanks a lot.
bhanu

Post Reply