One Minute Test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
paigekitten

Post by paigekitten » April 15th, 2021, 7:23 pm

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » April 16th, 2021, 2:25 pm

paigekitten wrote:
April 15th, 2021, 7:23 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_paigekitten.mp3

Audacity Online
Chromebook
USB Mic
Hi Katherine (Catherine)!

Thanks very much for submitting your recording to Librivox! It is great to have you here!

There are a couple of things we need to fix with your file - please do not record it - the recording is fine - these things just need to be set and then once they are set will stay that way for your future recordings. Sorry about the length of this post - I just want to make sure you have the info to make the changes :)

The audio has a high level of background noise which should be cleaned. This can be caused by a variety of factors - noise in your recording environment such as fans, open windows, radio's etc. In addition the volume falls outside of the target range of (86–92 dB), where we aim for the middle of 89 dB. Your volume is 97.3 dB. That said, noise and volume go hand in hand so we reduce the noise the volume goes down too - get two birds with one stone kind of thing!

So, please open your recording and highlight or select the whole thing. In Audacity you can either Ctrl-A or there is a Select button on the middle left side of the window. Then go to Effect - Noise Reduction and select the top button Get Noise Profile. That will look at your recording and take a nanosecond. Then with the recording still highlighted go back to Noise Reduction and enter 12, 6.0 and 6 and Reduce. The first number is used to reduce your volume, which in your case is quite high. You do not always need to enter 12 there in the future. I am often entering 3 or 4 there when my recording needs just minimal noise cleaning. However, in this example (I have already run through this on your recording) you need 12 as the first number. Then press OK. You will see some of the peaks and valleys go down.

Next, the recording should be in mono sound, not stereo sound. You can fix that by going to Edit - Preferences - Devices - Channels - Mono and then selecting OK.

Now, we are going to Export your recording and see how the volume is, however when Exporting we need to fix 3 settings - the cool thing is when you set these they will be remembered when you do your next recordings (along with the mono above) so you will not have to repeat this! All of them are in the lower half of the window below where you enter the file name. Set the Quality to 128 kbps (from the drop down) and then select the Constant bit rate. Last, check the box Force Export to mono and now Save!

Now, upload the file like you did before and reply and post the link here for me to listen to it and see how you did!

Lynda

paigekitten

Post by paigekitten » April 22nd, 2021, 9:23 pm

Okay, I think I made the appropriate changes:

How will I know what I should change in the future?

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » April 23rd, 2021, 10:20 am

paigekitten wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 9:23 pm
Okay, I think I made the appropriate changes:

How will I know what I should change in the future?
You are almost there! A couple of the things from above still need to be done as your recording is still in stereo and needs to have the volume amplified.

So if you can please follow the instructions for changing your recording to Mono that would be great!

As for increasing the volume, please highlight the recording and go to Effect - Amplify. Our range is 86–92 dB with a target of 89 dB. Your recording is at 84.9 dB so just a bit under. If you enter 4.1 (the difference between 89 and 84.9) in the Amplify field that should take you to 89 dB.

As for your question on how will you know what you should change in the future - the mono and export settings stay once set. The only thing you need to "play" with is your volume generally. We do have a utility that helps with that but I am unsure if it will run on a Chromebook. You can try if you wish! Here it is - we call it the Checker - just install it and then go to File and browse for your recorded file and run it through the utility. https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html It will also tell you if any of the permanent settings have gone amiss.

Again, please post the new link here for me to take a look!

Lynda

paigekitten

Post by paigekitten » April 23rd, 2021, 10:36 am

I followed the directions "Edit - Preferences - Devices - Channels - Mono" with the last version, but there was no option "Force Export to mono." I'm using the browser extension version of audacity.

Regarding the checker, is there a web version? (Chromebooks don't download programs.)

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » April 23rd, 2021, 1:51 pm

paigekitten wrote:
April 23rd, 2021, 10:36 am
I followed the directions "Edit - Preferences - Devices - Channels - Mono" with the last version, but there was no option "Force Export to mono." I'm using the browser extension version of audacity.

Regarding the checker, is there a web version? (Chromebooks don't download programs.)
Hi there - the Edit... should do it as long as you also export the file after that. I have checked on mine with your file and it works, however I am running Audacity on a PC.

No, there is not a web version of the Checker - that is why I did not suggest it earlier - most of these types of programs need Java to run and web programs generally do not deal in that area. I would search for a volume checker as that is really what you need.

Lynda

paigekitten

Post by paigekitten » April 23rd, 2021, 8:39 pm

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » April 24th, 2021, 10:49 am

paigekitten wrote:
April 23rd, 2021, 8:39 pm
Oh, I see.

How is this one?

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_paigekitten_(2).mp3
Hi there - so there is still noise and a volume issue with the recording.

You can see the noise with the fuzzy lines before and at the end of the recording when you first open it up.

To fix that, I need you to highlight ONLY the 1st 3 seconds of the fuzzy part (before you start speaking) and then go to Effect - Noise Reduction. Click on Get Noise Profile.
Now, highlight the whole recording and go to Effect - Noise Reduction and enter 12, 6.0, 6 and Reduce and press OK. You should see the fuzzy line go pretty straight now.

This has reduced your volume when was at 94.5 dB down a bit (Noise Reduction does this) however you will need to reduce it a bit more. It should now be at 92.4 dB and our range is 86–92 dB with 89 dB being the target.

So now, with the recording highlighted go to Effect - Amplify (I know sounds weird) and enter NEGATIVE 3.4 (which is 92.4 - 89.0) and press OK.

Now, export your recording again and upload it and I hope this time you will be successful! I appreciate you sticking with this!

In the meantime, as I have you recordings, I am going to look on Google and see if I can find an app that you can measure your recordings with that will be similar to the Checker utility.

Lynda

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » April 24th, 2021, 3:30 pm

Hi there -

Try this which I just read about on the forums. I am not sure if it will work on the version of Audacity that you are using (Chrome) however it is worth a peek!

There is a tool you can use inside of Audacity to check volume. It doesn't come included with Audacity by default. It's a plug-in that you download separately. It's a bit annoying to install, but very handy to have! More info here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=ReplayGain

Lynda

paigekitten

Post by paigekitten » April 30th, 2021, 8:48 pm

Here's another try: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_paigekitten_(2).mp3

Obviously the chromebook plug in I am trying to use isn't cutting it. Going to figure out how to use the linux version of audacity. Thank you for all your help.

wib66

Post by wib66 » May 2nd, 2021, 7:08 am

Hi this is still at 94.5dB so will need the volume reducing thanks