1-minute-test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
CamilleCoker

Post by CamilleCoker » April 12th, 2021, 12:42 pm

Hello! Here is my 1 Minute Test, recorded using a USB desk microphone and Audacity on Windows. I'm aware there are several issues, but can't seem to figure out how to fix them. Any help is appreciated.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_camillecoker.mp3

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » April 13th, 2021, 4:57 pm

CamilleCoker wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 12:42 pm
Hello! Here is my 1 Minute Test, recorded using a USB desk microphone and Audacity on Windows. I'm aware there are several issues, but can't seem to figure out how to fix them. Any help is appreciated.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_camillecoker.mp3
Hi Camille! Thanks so much for sending in your test! Yes, you do have a couple of issues however they are easy to fix!

First, I think it would be best, as the volume is so low yet there is a high hum in this recording for you to record it again. I will give you some hints on recording with Audacity as every mic it different as how it behaves with the software. So open up Audacity on your computer and have your microphone in front of you. When you speak into your microphone you should be seeing a wave form that goes on the graph in front of you between .5 on the top and -.5 on the bottom for normal speaking. If you speak louder the waves will get higher and the reverse if you are more quiet. The recording you sent to me is almost a flat line. So how do you fix this? Well in the upper left corner of Audacity is a microphone volume. Play with that - I have one mic that I have to set at 95% to record and another one I have to set at 40% to record - yet I speak the same and get the same volume results!

So try that at first - do not bother with the sentence they ask you to say - just say test, test, test and play with the volume until you get it showing waves between the .5 and -.5. You might need to also play with how close you are to the mic - but do not get too close as then when you say p's and s's they come out as a puff of air and that does not sound good. Many of us wear headsets so that the mic can be off to the side when we speak so that we avoid the letters that cause the air puffs.

Once you get the volume figured out try saying the sentence they supplied again and export the file. When you export the file can you please do the following three things?

The great thing is when you set these they will be remembered when you do your next recordings you will not have to repeat these! All of them are in the lower half of the window below where you enter the file name. Set the Quality to 128 kbps (from the drop down) and then select the Constant bit rate and put a check mark where it says to Force Export to Mono.

Now Save and upload the file again and please post it to THIS THREAD so that I can see how you are doing!

Lynda