1-minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Post Reply
j0hnny
Posts: 13
Joined: April 7th, 2021, 11:42 am

Post by j0hnny » April 12th, 2021, 11:29 am

Hi. Here is my 1-minute test recording done using Audacity 3.0.0, a Rode NT-USB Mini microphone and Windows 10. Thanks for any feedback.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_j0hnny.mp3

Lmnei
Posts: 4007
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » April 13th, 2021, 4:31 pm

j0hnny wrote:
April 12th, 2021, 11:29 am
Hi. Here is my 1-minute test recording done using Audacity 3.0.0, a Rode NT-USB Mini microphone and Windows 10. Thanks for any feedback.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_j0hnny.mp3
Hi Johnny!

Welcome to Librivox! You have an excellent sounding voice! No issues with your talking - just three technical issues which are easy to fix!

First, the recording should be in mono sound, not stereo sound. You can fix that by bring up the recording and going to Edit - Preferences - Devices - Channels - Mono and then selecting OK.

Now when you go to Export to MP3 there are 3 things you need to do - the cool thing is when you set these they will be remembered when you do your next recordings (along with the mono above) so you will not have to repeat this! All of them are in the lower half of the window below where you enter the file name. Set the Quality to 128 kbps (from the drop down) and then select the Constant bit rate. Last, check the box Force Export to mono and now Save!

Please upload this new file as you did before and paste it to this thread so I can check out your progress. If you have any issues please let me know!

Lynda

j0hnny
Posts: 13
Joined: April 7th, 2021, 11:42 am

Post by j0hnny » April 16th, 2021, 10:01 am

Hi. Here's another test recording using the settings you specified.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_j0hnny.mp3

Lmnei
Posts: 4007
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » April 16th, 2021, 2:07 pm

j0hnny wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 10:01 am
Hi. Here's another test recording using the settings you specified.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_j0hnny.mp3
Hi J0hnny!

You are SO CLOSE! The recording meets all the specifications now but is a tiny too quiet. The volume falls outside of the target range of (86–92 dB) - yours is 85.3 dB. So you just need to increase it to around 89 dB which is what we aim for. Easy peasy to do! With the recording highlighted go to Effect - Amplify and enter 3.7 which is the difference between 89 and 85.3. Press OK.

Now save, export and upload your file and post the link here again!

As I see your are on Windows 10 - here is a little utility that we use to check our recordings called the Checker - I mainly use it to ensure my recordings are at the correct volume as the "techy" settings will stay the same. Give it a try and see what it says after you save the file. You go to File on the Checker and browse for your recording and then it will give you a Pass, Fail or Passed with Warnings status. Look at the tabs to get the information. https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html

Also another note, if you ever have a recording that is too loud, just enter a negative sign in front of the number in Effect - Amplify and that will reduce the decibels....

Looking forward to your next post!

Lynda

j0hnny
Posts: 13
Joined: April 7th, 2021, 11:42 am

Post by j0hnny » April 16th, 2021, 3:59 pm

Hi Lynda,

Alas I didn’t save the Audacity file for the second recording, but here’s a third try that I ended up having to reduce the decibels for, which helped pass through Checker.

Thanks for your patience.
j0hnny

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test3_j0hnny.mp3

Lmnei
Posts: 4007
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 8:45 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by Lmnei » April 16th, 2021, 4:18 pm

j0hnny wrote:
April 16th, 2021, 3:59 pm
Hi Lynda,

Alas I didn’t save the Audacity file for the second recording, but here’s a third try that I ended up having to reduce the decibels for, which helped pass through Checker.

Thanks for your patience.
j0hnny

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test3_j0hnny.mp3
Way to go J0hnny! You have passed! Now you can go record at LV to your heart's content! Have fun!

Lynda

Post Reply