1 minute test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
JeneByrnes2020

Post by JeneByrnes2020 » January 12th, 2020, 9:10 pm

Here is my 1 minute test. This is the raw, unedited file without any adjustments.

Please let me -know what you think. I am using a Windows 10 laptop with Audacity 2.3.3 with a Blue Snowball microphone into a USB port on the PC.

Thanks for your time and feedback

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_jenebyrnes2020.mp3

linny

Post by linny » January 13th, 2020, 12:29 pm

Welcome to LV!

I recommend you modify your input settings. You volume is extremely low at 68.9dB. We aim for 89dB with an allowable range of 86-92dB. If you would rather keep your settings where they are then you will need to amplify. Highlight your audio. Go to Effect>Amplify>20 ok. Now see how the majority of your waves are about the height of 0.5 to -0.5 (look to the left of the wave on the Audacity program you should see numbers ranging from 1.0 to -1.0) This is the height you are aiming for.

Now that you have amplified we will need to do a little bit of noise cleaning. Do you see how your line during the "silent" areas is "fuzzy"? This is a visual indicator there is too much background noise. In the future be sure that you turn off everything you can hear before you start recording. Sit quietly in your recording area and just listen. If you can hear it, so can the microphone.
For this recording try some noise cleaning. Noise cleaning and amplifying are the two most common edits we do.
First highlight some of your "silence", say 0:30-0:31.
Effect>Noise Reduction>Get Noise Profile
Select your entire recording
Effect>Noise Reduction>Play around with the noise settings (using the "preview" button until you are satisfied). I used 20, 6.00, 6. Toggle to reduce noise>OK.
See how the line in your silence areas became a very fine line? That's what you are looking for.

Please post your revision or new recording in this same thread so we can check it again.

JeneByrnes2020

Post by JeneByrnes2020 » January 14th, 2020, 6:46 pm

Thank you for taking the time to listen & respond. I appreciate the guidance so I can try again :)