1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
tomewing

Post by tomewing » November 30th, 2019, 3:48 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tomewing.mp3

I used Audacity 2.3.2, Windows, USB Mic. Thank you for your consideration.

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » November 30th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Hi there, welcome to LibriVox! I think you'll enjoy it a lot. I got a chance to listen and check this, and luckily it passes all of the requirements. However, I did notice the slightest audible hum. Nothing that will prevent you from reading, but something you may want to take a look at. I am not sure if you have already run noise reduction on it. If not, and you don't know how, here are instructions:

1. Select a small piece of your recording that is pure noise
2. Go into menu items Effect>Noise Reduction
3. In Section 2 on the screen, choose your settings. My settings are Noise Reduction: 12, Sensitivity: 6, Frequency: 0.
4. Select 'Get Noise Profile'.
5. Select your entire recording.
6. Go to menu items Effect>Repeat Noise Reduction.

Since this noise is so minimal, I have no issues giving you the OK. If you would like to try noise reduction and get feedback, please feel free to do it, re upload, post in this thread, and I'll look.

tomewing

Post by tomewing » December 1st, 2019, 1:01 am

Hello Lymiewithpurpose. Thank you. Brief preliminary comment. I'm 74 yo. This audiorecording thing has been a waaaaay experience for me. The jargon. I've actually spent many, many hours watching and taking notes from Utube; reading and taking notes from your helpful Wiki pages. But I knew going in the experience would be daunting. And it has been. So, with the help of my engineering son we tried to check everything: Checker, MP3Gain, listening. To answer your question, yes, I did do the noise reduction. I listened again just moments ago. I could hear nothing. That is not to say you're wrong. I'm certain you're correct. But I want to try this again and with your indulgence send it. It's either perfect or it's not. Now I have to find the darned thing.

tomewing

Post by tomewing » December 1st, 2019, 1:56 am

Hi again. I have ZERO clue if I'm doing this correctly but here is the revised test recording (I also did a little cutting and muting to make it a more polished recording--apologies for not doing that before). Interestingly, I had understood one was supposed to select a quiet portion of the recording, not a noisy one. Anyway, I followed your directions on all the settings. I will be keen to hear your assessment. Thank you.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/tom_test1.mp3

tomewing

Post by tomewing » December 1st, 2019, 2:01 am

BTW: forgot to mention, after applying the Noise Reduction per your directions the wave form interestingly came out noticeably reduced. No clue if that's significant. Thanks

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » December 1st, 2019, 7:55 am

Well this recording is tough for so many people, regardless of age (I know I had difficulty with it at first, but it became easier). I'm glad you have a son who can help. And great job with the programs! No wonder you were so close!

As to the background noise, I do note that it was pretty slight. Also, I don't know what you were listening through, but I know listening through headphones tend to increase the sound. It was most noticeable during the silence, but even with the talking I could hear a bit of a high pitch hum.

I do want to address your comment about the noise reduction reducing wave form. I know you touched on this, but I just want to double check. When I meant pure noise, I meant a moment of silence that does not have any vocals in it. I apologize if that wasn't clear. Did you do that? If you selected a portion with vocals, it would reduce the waveform significantly. In addition, I noticed that this second test sounds more muffled, suggesting the same thing. I tried running noise reduction on your first test, and it did not change the wave form at all, nor make it more muffled. Do you think you might be able to try this process on your first test so that I can compare results? I apologize for the hassle, but it is very nice to have things settled down before beginning real recordings to make the process easier.

tomewing

Post by tomewing » December 1st, 2019, 12:52 pm

Hello again. This is no hassle. You've been very kind with your time. Yes, I did misunderstand your comment "pure noise" and so selected a piece for the profile that was pure vocal. It's clear now this is exactly what you did NOT want. You wanted silence which was my previous understanding of the correct way to do noise reduction. In the first recording (I'm certain but have no independent recollection) that I selected the five seconds at the end for the profile--I would never have submitted the recording without noise reduction. The only other difference between the first and second recordings was that in the first I simply applied Audacity's default settings; in the second I adjusted per your directions. Regarding how I listened: was with a full headset (not top of the line, mind you, but completely closed the ears with padding if that makes sense).

So, where to go from here? I fear my original recording with the latest noise reduction may be pretty corrupted by now. I don't know. Or, make a whole new recording for your review. No problem either way. My son thinks the "hum" you heard may be from the laptop. I've read that elsewhere though he believes noise reduction should have cured that.

Finally, as an aside, in addition to studying Wiki articles & Utube tutorials (love Phil Chenevert's; he talks "human" talk) I've also listened to perhaps thirty 1 minute tests submitted by others, studied evaluators' comments and then practiced on them to learn Audacity and its features. Wanted to avoid common mistakes. You evaluators really do care and are extremely helpful. All this is to say that before submitting my 1 min. recording I really "studied for the test" best I could.

Apologies for the long message. I'm the chatty type. :(

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » December 1st, 2019, 1:07 pm

tomewing wrote:
December 1st, 2019, 12:52 pm
by tomewing » 7 minutes ago

Hello again. This is no hassle. You've been very kind with your time. Yes, I did misunderstand your comment "pure noise" and so selected a piece for the profile that was pure vocal. It's clear now this is exactly what you did NOT want. You wanted silence which was my previous understanding of the correct way to do noise reduction. In the first recording (I'm certain but have no independent recollection) that I selected the five seconds at the end for the profile--I would never have submitted the recording without noise reduction. The only other difference between the first and second recordings was that in the first I simply applied Audacity's default settings; in the second I adjusted per your directions. Regarding how I listened: was with a full headset (not top of the line, mind you, but completely closed the ears with padding if that makes sense).
Thanks for catching my unclear instructions, I will definitely modify it when I give instructions to others. Ah, so it sounds like you have an understanding of noise reduction and I just confused you a bit, my apologies. As to the headphones, mine aren't that great either, but maybe I listened louder or something. I did hear a hum though.
tomewing wrote:
So, where to go from here? I fear my original recording with the latest noise reduction may be pretty corrupted by now. I don't know. Or, make a whole new recording for your review. No problem either way. My son thinks the "hum" you heard may be from the laptop. I've read that elsewhere though he believes noise reduction should have cured that.
I do have a handy way of finding older uploaded recordings, so here is the original one without the messed up noise reduction: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tomewing2019_11_30_22_43_09.mp3. I do think with all of the confusion, it may be best just to run one more noise reduction on it and I'll just make sure it's ok. I'm sure the first noise reduction did well and eliminated most of it, but sometimes recordings could use multiple runs. I know when I began recording, I always ran two rounds to eliminate all noise for me, then checked to make sure my voice sounded ok. You may want to do the same.
tomewing wrote:
Finally, as an aside, in addition to studying Wiki articles & Utube tutorials (love Phil Chenevert's; he talks "human" talk) I've also listened to perhaps thirty 1 minute tests submitted by others, studied evaluators' comments and then practiced on them to learn Audacity and its features. Wanted to avoid common mistakes. You evaluators really do care and are extremely helpful. All this is to say that before submitting my 1 min. recording I really "studied for the test" best I could.
Nice work! No wonder you had a near-perfect test, those aren't too common. It would be more difficult if there were other things to work on. And I agree, Phil's videos are exceptional helpful and fun. So, just one more upload please, just to make sure we're all good, and then I'll hurry to mark it OK.

tomewing

Post by tomewing » December 1st, 2019, 4:40 pm

Thanks for your reply. No problem on the noise reduction confusion. I should have inquired because I had my doubts. My fault. Yes, I do think that professionals (of all professions) assume understanding of jargon. But the challenge is just how much do you dumb it down? Difficult. Anyway, unless you tell me differently, I would like to try to repair the original test recording and do a second new one. But if this is too much for you, please advise.

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » December 1st, 2019, 7:56 pm

Very difficult. Some people get offended when I get too specific and stuff. At one point I did not even provide instructions, but people struggled so much I thought I would risk offending the people who knew what they were doing very well. I will make sure in the future to specify that it is only vocals to avoid more confusion. That plan you said works for me! These tests are short and I have no problem looking at two of them! It sounds like you are looking to make your recordings very great, you will be a great LibriVox addition! (sorry if this message is a bit strange, I am on my phone which is harder to write on).

EDIT: (on my computer now). Please make sure that if you make two tests, you name them slightly differently as to not overwrite the uploads.

tomewing

Post by tomewing » December 2nd, 2019, 12:09 am

Hi Lymie. You didn't offend me in the slightest. You set a high bar which I won't be satisfied until I meet it. All that I wrote about "studying for the test" is accurate. Just add many hours to it. This is quite a challenge for me and I'm determined to do my best. I'm glad you drew the short straw and got me for review (as you shudder thinking "Why him???!!! Is this some form of LibriVox payback for past misdeeds?")

I'll be in touch in the next day or so. And, yes, had quite planned on distinguishing both. But good for you! Assume nothing from the newbies. Will be in touch.

tomewing

Post by tomewing » December 3rd, 2019, 1:31 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tomewing_new.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_tomewing_rev.mp3

Hi Lymiewithpurpose:

Above of course are the revised and new test recordings. A word about the revised: I restored the first recording sent to in the beginning. You were ready to pass it but heard slight background noise and suggested I apply noise reduction and try again. Well, that didn't work out so great. I told you I was just sure I had performed a noise reduction. Now I know that I did. HOWEVER (big however), I listened to it quite intently today. And, yes, there was slight noise which I had not noticed. My fault. Anyway, I reduced the noise again and hear nothing. It took three reductions of the new recording to eliminate the noise but, again, I hear nothing. Both have been through MP3 Gain and Checker. Sooo, I'm hoping for a :clap: and not a :(

I will wait with bated breath for your judgment. Thanks Lymie.

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » December 3rd, 2019, 7:26 am

tomewing wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 12:09 am
Hi Lymie. You didn't offend me in the slightest. You set a high bar which I won't be satisfied until I meet it. All that I wrote about "studying for the test" is accurate. Just add many hours to it. This is quite a challenge for me and I'm determined to do my best. I'm glad you drew the short straw and got me for review (as you shudder thinking "Why him???!!! Is this some form of LibriVox payback for past misdeeds?")
Not at all! I am always happy to work on these tests. It is fun to see the improvement and happiness when things finally go right. And all of this hard work you put in at the beginning will help things go very smoothly in the future!
tomewing wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 1:31 am
I restored the first recording sent to in the beginning. You were ready to pass it but heard slight background noise and suggested I apply noise reduction and try again. Well, that didn't work out so great. I told you I was just sure I had performed a noise reduction. Now I know that I did. HOWEVER (big however), I listened to it quite intently today. And, yes, there was slight noise which I had not noticed. My fault. Anyway, I reduced the noise again and hear nothing.
Nice work! And like I said before, I believe that you did do noise reduction before, but sometimes (like the new test) it can take multiple tries to get it completely reduced. Good news is, it sounds great and has totally passed! The second sounds great too. Word of caution: I hear absolutely no noise during the actual recording and then it starts about a second after the vocals end, which is quite interesting. Is there any chance you didn't quite select all of the recording when doing a round? I am also going to make a slight suggestion. The second one does sound slightly more muffled. What I might do is (going off of your try of 3 passes) apply noise reduction to the entire thing 2 times, and just to the ending silence 1 time. That way you can get rid of the ending noise without hurting the sound of your vocals at all.

Anyhow, I know you can effectively do this noise reduction now. So, here is the good news, I can give you the OK to record! Congrats! I hope to see you around.

tomewing

Post by tomewing » December 3rd, 2019, 12:17 pm

Hi Lymie. First of all, my thanks for ALL your work. As you know, I've listened to many test recordings. I can think of no reader-wannabe who's been more needy than I or an evaluator more generous with time and thoughtful suggestions.

I listened again to the new (second) recording. You're absolutely right. There was a very slight hiss in the silent portion at the end which I just missed. No excuse. I did do a review after the third reduction and heard nothing in the vocals so assumed (the "mother of all f-ups"--forgive my language) the last five seconds would also be good. Well, they weren't. Needed a separate reduction. Lesson learned. I was troubled by three very slight and brief sounds of static, none lasting more than a nanosecond but audible in the first two sentences. I knew that before sending it off but, first, didn't know how to fix it other than re-record (weary of that, to be frank) and, second, it was tiny and the rest of the vocals were fine to my ear so decided to let it go; besides, we were focused on noise reduction.

I'm off to find something to record. I will apply all your lessons, esp careful review after recording. I think I've FINALLY gotten Audacity down, though there are other features I need to master before I'm satisfied, esp how to repair mistakes mid-sentence or mid-paragraph; I've practiced on sample recordings but not easy. Whew! Suuuch a challenge for a duffer with zero, zip acquaintance with technology. Heck. I wrote my doctoral dissertation, 600 pages and six drafts, on a manual typewriter forty years ago! I probably haven't moved much since. Now off to the next challenge: to teach myself good vocal techniques--intonation, crisp speech, timing, expressiveness--to make a pleasant recording.

Another long message from me. Devil makes me do it. Ain't my fault. But good news is that you're rid of me and can devote your excellent efforts elsewhere. Again, many thanks. You went above & beyond.

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » December 3rd, 2019, 12:52 pm

tomewing wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 12:17 pm
Hi Lymie. First of all, my thanks for ALL your work. As you know, I've listened to many test recordings. I can think of no reader-wannabe who's been more needy than I or an evaluator more generous with time and thoughtful suggestions.
Well thank you for the compliment! Don't think you needed that much attention. I have seen a few where things are really funky (Audacity doesn't do what it's told or something) and it is very hard to help from a computer miles away.
tomewing wrote:
I listened again to the new (second) recording. You're absolutely right. There was a very slight hiss in the silent portion at the end which I just missed. No excuse. I did do a review after the third reduction and heard nothing in the vocals so assumed (the "mother of all f-ups"--forgive my language) the last five seconds would also be good. Well, they weren't. Needed a separate reduction. Lesson learned. I was troubled by three very slight and brief sounds of static, none lasting more than a nanosecond but audible in the first two sentences. I knew that before sending it off but, first, didn't know how to fix it other than re-record (weary of that, to be frank) and, second, it was tiny and the rest of the vocals were fine to my ear so decided to let it go; besides, we were focused on noise reduction.
Don't be too hard on yourself. None of these recordings would prevent you from recording anything, I just sensed that you wanted your recordings to be as perfect as you could make them so I thought I'd try to help out with that. The ending silence is one of those things that often has more noise, perhaps because it is not shielded by vocals. Just a good thing to keep in mind. Ah, I'm sorry about the static. I've had a few problems like that, which I believe is more of a mic/computer issue. I do hope you know that when reading longer texts you do not need to redo every time you mess up, but repeat and edit it out later. Of course, it is harder to do that when you can't hear the static when recording... I did not notice those micro statics so you sounded great!
tomewing wrote:
I'm off to find something to record. I will apply all your lessons, esp careful review after recording. I think I've FINALLY gotten Audacity down, though there are other features I need to master before I'm satisfied, esp how to repair mistakes mid-sentence or mid-paragraph; I've practiced on sample recordings but not easy. Whew! Suuuch a challenge for a duffer with zero, zip acquaintance with technology. Heck. I wrote my doctoral dissertation, 600 pages and six drafts, on a manual typewriter forty years ago! I probably haven't moved much since. Now off to the next challenge: to teach myself good vocal techniques--intonation, crisp speech, timing, expressiveness--to make a pleasant recording.
Yay to Audacity! Not to rain on your parade, but I feel that there are always more things to learn (I seem to learn more about it every day!) but as long as you have the basic and most common things down you should be fine. As to mistakes mid-sentence/paragraph, if you catch it while you are recording, you can always repeat the sentence and then delete the bad one. If you catch it afterwards, what I do is find a separate place to record (a new track, the end of the recording, etc.) and record that sentence over If you just do the word, it will sound more choppy most likely. Then, I delete the bad one and insert the new one with a simple cut and paste. I hope that makes sense! Wow, that dissertation sounds rough now that we have computers! Good job to you. For good vocal techniques, I'm sure there are some good YouTube videos and stuff out there. If you ever want feedback, you can ask for constructive criticism when submitting recordings, and the PLer will sometimes then give you feedback. We do not give feedback on reading style and stuff unless the reader specifically asks.
tomewing wrote:
Another long message from me. Devil makes me do it. Ain't my fault. But good news is that you're rid of me and can devote your excellent efforts elsewhere. Again, many thanks. You went above & beyond.
Well my messages are just about as long... Anyways, I was happy to help! I am very glad you can begin recording, and sincerely hope to see you around here. Have fun!