[OK]One-minute test from Inquoate: feedback requested

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Inquoate

Post by Inquoate » November 30th, 2019, 8:00 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_inquoate.mp3

MacOS Catalina
Audacity
USB mic (Samson Q2U)

Any adjustments needed?

Thank you!

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » November 30th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Welcome to LibriVox! I hope you are excited, it is very fun here. Only one adjustment needs to be made. That is the level of background noise. It is a bit high. Luckily in Audacity, there is a simple way to fix it:
1. Select a small piece of your recording that is pure noise
2. Go into menu items Effect>Noise Reduction
3. In Section 2 on the screen, choose your settings. My settings are Noise Reduction: 12, Sensitivity: 6, Frequency: 0.
4. Select 'Get Noise Profile'.
5. Select your entire recording.
6. Go to menu items Effect>Repeat Noise Reduction.
7. Take a listen, you may find that you want to do this over again to reduce more noise.

Once you do that, please re upload, post in this thread, and I'll hurry over to check it again.

Note: Be careful with your volume, it is on the high side at 91.4 dbs (if you haven't read it yet, our range is 86-92, 89 preferred). So this would be accepted for a recording, just watch that it doesn't get much louder. The noise reduction should also help. You may have found this already, but I will share the Checker program with you. If you haven't heard of it, this is a tool I use on all of my recordings to make sure the volume and other specs are fine. Ask if you need help!

Inquoate

Post by Inquoate » December 2nd, 2019, 6:20 pm

Hey, thanks so much! I couldn't hear the background noise—likely because of all the background noise.

See if the updated file is better: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_inquoate_nr.mp3.

I ran the original file through Checker; I had to amplify it to get it within range. I'll be sure to follow the guidelines on preferred dB.

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » December 2nd, 2019, 6:38 pm

Inquoate wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 6:20 pm
Hey, thanks so much! I couldn't hear the background noise—likely because of all the background noise.

See if the updated file is better: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_inquoate_nr.mp3.

I ran the original file through Checker; I had to amplify it to get it within range. I'll be sure to follow the guidelines on preferred dB.
Nice work, and that is a funny (but probably true) reason why you couldn't hear it! It is much better now. I am glad you had already found the Checker, it is quite useful. Anyways, you have the OK to record your heart away!

Inquoate

Post by Inquoate » December 2nd, 2019, 6:52 pm

:thumbs:

Yay! Thanks!