1 minute test recording [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
RedRaspberry

Post by RedRaspberry » October 29th, 2019, 10:21 am

Hi
I am submitting my first ever recording here. Please review it and let me know if there are any issues with my recording, technical aspects and if I can be understood clearly as I am a non native English speaker.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_redraspberry.mp3

1) Operating system : Mac OS

2) Mic : Samson Meteor Mic USB

3) Recording software : Audacity

Thank you for your time
Srikala

Thirsch

Post by Thirsch » October 30th, 2019, 7:00 pm

Hi Srikala :)

Welcome to LibriVox. You'll discover the things we accomplish here are both rewarding and often educational. Most of all . . . . always have fun with the time you spend here. I've found myself exposed to books I doubt I'd have ever known about were it not for LibriVox - - - learning a lot in the process. You'll also be working with a great group of fellow volunteers who will always be available to help whenever assistance is needed.

I've downloaded your 1-Minute Test recording and I'll set aside time tomorrow morning to listen to it and get back to you with the results.

Until then . . . .

Tom Hirsch
See you in the library . . . . .

Thirsch

Post by Thirsch » October 31st, 2019, 6:44 am

Good morning, Srikala

Overall it was a good recording. But there are a couple items about it worthy of discussion.

Always remember to have only about 1/2 second or so of silence ("room noise") at the beginning of the file and 5 seconds at the end (if the recording is 30 minutes or less). For longer recordings increase the silence at the end to 10 seconds.

There were a few artifacts ("clicks" -- probably "lip smacks") at the beginning and during the recording that ought to be edited out during post-production. We all do it :oops: They can become distracting after a while.

I see you're using Audacity - - - it offers an easy way to remove DC Bias (your file had 0.0017%) using the Normalize command under the Effects menu. Read the associated help file for easy instructions on how to do it.

Finally, while within parameters, the recording was a touch on the loud side. If I was going to listen to a full recording I would want to turn my volume down. The LV standard for amplitude is 86.0 to 92.0dB with 89dB being the ideal target. Yours was 91.2dB. Again, this is easy to adjust in Audacity.

Background Noise is also easy to deal with in Audacity. Your file came in at 38.3dB of Background Noise - - - I generally try to shoot for about 24.0dB.

I'm going to suggest you do one of two things:
1. Practice your post-production editing skills by correcting the things I mentioned above and resubmitting the file. Or - - -

2. Record a new test file looking for such items and upload it again.

I'll watch for it and get back to you promptly. Keep up the good work :D

Tom

RedRaspberry

Post by RedRaspberry » October 31st, 2019, 7:20 am

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the feedback. Will work on all the parameters mentioned in your mail and get back to you with a new recording.

Srikala

RedRaspberry

Post by RedRaspberry » November 8th, 2019, 8:16 pm

Hi Tom,

I have worked on all the technical aspects (DC Bias, Amplitude and Background noise) as mentioned in your earlier post and have sent you a new recording. Please listen to it and share your feedback.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_redraspberry1.mp3

Thank you
Srikala

Thirsch

Post by Thirsch » November 8th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Srikala

Bravo :clap: It just doesn't get much better than that :thumbs: You "nailed" all the technical specs. Your voice and tempo were also very good. The recording was easy to listen to.

You are good to go.

If you haven't already - - - I suggest you devote some time to browsing through the LibriVox Wiki. It contains a wealth of great information that you'll find useful and informative.

Then spend some time becoming familiar with the forum and looking for projects that you think you'd enjoy working on. Just jump right in wherever it feels comfortable. Most of all - - - always have fun :D You'll find lots of interesting material to record. If you're like me, you'll also discover you're learning a lot in the process. Most important - - - you'll be contributing to a wonderful project and interacting with a lot of fun and interesting fellow LibriVox volunteers in the process.

Welcome aboard.

Tom

RedRaspberry

Post by RedRaspberry » November 9th, 2019, 9:59 am

Thanks a lot, Tom. You made my day! Can't wait to get started. I am really excited but will take time to go through the wiki again to get familiar with the site before I get started

Thanks for all the inputs and help
Srikala