1-Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
markeb04

Post by markeb04 » August 22nd, 2019, 1:41 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_markeb04.mp3

Audacity running on Windows with a USB mic.

I have plenty to learn, but some issues I had were plosives, breathing sounds, smacking lips, working out background noise, and adjusting to volume 89db. Also, I am still learning about leveling (?). I am looking at tutorials, but since this version of Audacity has done away with the Leveler effect, I am looking at how to use Compression.

I got a Blue Yeti Mic on a scissor arm and pop filters, did some experimenting with the mic gain. Also, did some work to reduce background noise (e.g. cut off ceiling fan), but I think that the environmental background noise will improve as I intend to record at night, experiment more with the mic gain, learn to use Audacity better.

Thanks for your input!
Mark

dannielunb

Post by dannielunb » August 23rd, 2019, 4:19 am

Hi.

The quality is great. Congratulations.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards.
Dannielunb

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 23rd, 2019, 6:28 am

Welcome!

Well, whatever you did, this is darn near perfect. Volume is dead-on, the background noise is nonexistent, tech settings all OK. No need to experiment further!

Note that for OUR purposes, some breathing and other human noises are fine. (Some listeners have told us that leaving out breaths entirely makes the recording sound unnatural.) Unless you're breathing like an asthmatic rhinoceros, it's probably OK to not worry about breaths. ;)

You're good to go. Have fun!
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Insomnia Collection - boring works 30-70 minutes long
Australia & New Zealand history: LINK