1 minute test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
ThereseMarie

Post by ThereseMarie » August 14th, 2019, 4:45 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_theresemarie.mp3

Hello!

Attached is my test. I record on Audacity. My operating system is mac os mojave 10.14.6. I use a Blue Snowball USB microphone. Please let me know if I need to make any changes.

Thanks!

Thérèse

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 14th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Welcome!

The volume on the last iteration is just about perfect; the other ones are too quiet.

However, you have a lot of plosives on that last one (and on the second one). This is when your breath directly hits the microphone on letters like P, F, or TH. Move your microphone a little bit to the side of your mouth (I have mine at about 2:00, pointed at my mouth but my mouth not pointing at it). This will help the air pass by the mic instead of directly hitting it.

Make sense?

Please try that, and post another test (just one iteration is fine) with hopefully the better volume and mic placement. :) You can post the link in this same thread.
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Humorous Alcohol Fic/Poetry: The Old Soak, and Hail & Farewell
Insomnia Collection - boring works 30-70 minutes long

ThereseMarie

Post by ThereseMarie » August 21st, 2019, 5:33 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/_test_theresemarie.mp3

Hello!

I thought I would compress the existing audio file that passed muster. Let me know if it is okay. If not, I will rerecord.

Thanks,

Thérèse

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » August 21st, 2019, 5:35 pm

Well, it still has the plosives. Compression doesn't fix them. (No effect can really fix them.) Better to try a re-record because of the new mic placement. :)

Keep in mind we're trying to get your setup correct, not necessarily to finesse an old recording to make it acceptable - because then you'd have to do all that finessing on every file you produce! :P
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Humorous Alcohol Fic/Poetry: The Old Soak, and Hail & Farewell
Insomnia Collection - boring works 30-70 minutes long