1_minute_test_for_comment [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
DavidReader

Post by DavidReader » December 3rd, 2018, 9:10 pm

Hi Kitty,
This is my 1 minute test for your comment please:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/test_davidreader.mp3

I am using an iMac built-in internal microphone for this recording, input volume set to maximum;
as to the Audacity setting, the recording volume is also set to the maximum.
Thanks for your advice.

DavidReader

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 6th, 2018, 4:29 am

hi David :)

why am I addressed personally ? I don't think we have met before, or have we ? :hmm:

Anyway, welcome to the forum and thank you for your test :) your voice cadence and reading pace are very nice to listen to and understand. The technical settings are all LV standard as well (thank you for doing your homework :9: ) In a "real" recording you would have to cut out the initial noise but that doesn't matter for the test.

You get your OK on the first go :thumbs: The only thing I noticed is a bit of a hollow or echoey quality to the sound. Maybe the room is a bit empty ? Carpets or pillows would probably help a bit. But it doesn't diminish the pleasure in listening to the recording, so you are good to go.

Feel free to participate in any project on offer ! Have fun

Sonia

DavidReader

Post by DavidReader » December 6th, 2018, 8:12 pm

Hi!
When I am uploading my file, there is a box requesting us to 'Select mc', and I select 'Kitty' as I have read a few of her replies to newbies. Therefore, I use that name as my opening address in the post. I don't know that this is an unusual practice.
I really feel flattered by your remarks on my voice, since I am not a native English speaker, and the lines of the test are a bit tongue-twisting, and I have to practice it a bit before making the recording. I am at first a bit apprehensive that my accent may make my reading not sounding natural. Your encouragement really give a boost to my confidence in making contributions to Librivox. Thanks.
I am a bit overwhelmed and undecided as to find a suitable place to start, can you provide some tips?
Thanks again.
David

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 6th, 2018, 11:58 pm

DavidReader wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 8:12 pm
When I am uploading my file, there is a box requesting us to 'Select mc', and I select 'Kitty' as I have read a few of her replies to newbies. Therefore, I use that name as my opening address in the post. I don't know that this is an unusual practice.
ah ok, this explains it. Well anybody who has been on here for some time and knows the basic requirements can check the one-minute-tests. And as "MC" for the tests we have a special folder "tests" ;) But that's ok, it doesn't matter.
I really feel flattered by your remarks on my voice, since I am not a native English speaker
oh really, ? I didin't notice a strong accent, but I am not a native English speaker either. What is your mothertongue, if I may ask ? Maybe you want to read a section in your own language as well, we also have a multilingual subforum. :)
I am at first a bit apprehensive that my accent may make my reading not sounding natural.
no not at all, I thought it sounded really good. And accents are not necessarily a bad thing, they give a certain exotic flair to the language. As long as you can speak the words understandable correct, accents are really welcome here :)
I am a bit overwhelmed and undecided as to find a suitable place to start, can you provide some tips?
well it really depends on what you like reading. There are poems, fiction, non-fiction and even drama. I would suggest, if this is really your first recording, to start with a short section, because you will notice that the post-processing, the editing out of errors and stumbles, the cleaning of background noise and other small tweakings will take much more time than some people realise. For me for example, the editing takes at least 3 times as long as the final result will be. So for a chapter of 45 minutes I easily spend half a day on editing. The times vary from reader to reader of course, but you should be prepared to dedicate some time on a good result.

That's why I said, start small. If you are not dead against poetry, I would suggest that as a starting point, because they are short and easily edited. Spending 10 minutes for a final result of a nice 2 minute poem is a good way to learn the ropes. There's always the weekly poem, which is a good starting point. Every week we have a new poem, so you will really get feedback very quickly and the project will be finished after a week ;) many other projects take much longer to finish. :lol:
Here is the link to the current weekly poem: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=72717 It will end on Sunday, so if you wish to make it, start now ;)

So if you tell me a bit more what you are looking for, I could suggest more precise projects. But you could also roam the forum and check out some projects on offer, and maybe you find something you like. I noticed that I often find authors or books I probably would never have read but who now have become favourites of mine. LV is really good for getting to know new things. :9:

Sonia

DavidReader

Post by DavidReader » December 8th, 2018, 9:36 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your advice, I have just posted my first ever LV contribution in the current poem thread. Looking forward to more work in the coming days.
Btw, my native tongue is Cantonese.
Best wishes,
DavidReader

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 9th, 2018, 2:08 am

DavidReader wrote:
December 8th, 2018, 9:36 pm
Thanks for your advice, I have just posted my first ever LV contribution in the current poem thread. Looking forward to more work in the coming days.
super, congratulations. :clap: Always check back in the project you are working on, in case there are PL notes to correct. And I see you need to tell the BC your reader name. You are a new reader, so we need to open up a reader page for you. There you will have listed all the projects you ever worked on. It will look like this (this is my reader page): https://librivox.org/reader/10179 You see my forum name is Kitty but my reader name is Sonia, my real name. You can choose whatever you want as reader name, just let the BC know and he will open it for you.
Btw, my native tongue is Cantonese.
ok...I would not be able to prooflisten that language I'm afraid, but I'm sure there will be someone around who can. So if you find a public domain text that is in Cantonese, feel free to offer it in the Multilingual project :9:

Have fun with your next project. If you like the weekly poetry, rest assured there will be a new one starting tonight, or tomorrow depending on the time zone. :)

Sonia

DavidReader

Post by DavidReader » December 9th, 2018, 8:02 pm

Hi Kitty,
Thanks again for your prompt response and advice.
But I have some naive questions here:
- what PL notes and BC stand for, and is David Lawrence my BC?
- you mention that I need to open a reader page, but it seems that one has already been opened up for me with both the forum name and reader name stated as DavidReader, and also why the need for choosing a different reader name?
See, I still have much to learn here.
Just to let you know, though Cantonese is spoken by a lot of people in the world (I guess it is near 100 million), as far as I know, there is almost no extant literary works in the public domain that are written in Cantonese.
Best Regards
David

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 10th, 2018, 2:08 am

DavidReader wrote:
December 9th, 2018, 8:02 pm
But I have some naive questions here:
there are no naive questions, never hesitate to ask. I have to apologize for using the abbreviations, you couldn't know the LibriVox lingo yet ;)
- what PL notes and BC stand for, and is David Lawrence my BC?
PL notes: Proof-Listening notes. A PLer or DPLer is a prooflistener or dedicated prooflistener. The DPL is responsible for one entire project to PL all the sections, while a PLer only may prooflisten a few of the sections if they don't have time enough to become DPL.

BC: Book-Coordinator, that's the one who is responsible for the smooth running of a specific project. You see who the BC is by looking at the first post of each project, the one who started the project is the BC

MC: Meta-Coordinator, they are part of the Admin team and are responsible for archiving the project later on. In the weekly poetry project, David Lawrence is actually the BC and the MC, but often those two can be different people. You always have to check who the MC of a project is, because you need to upload your files to that folder. In the first post somewhere, you always see the MC listed like this: "You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: aradlaw" (or another name)

MW: Magic Window, that's where all the sections are listed in the first post

I think these are the main abbreviations you will encounter in the next few days.
- you mention that I need to open a reader page, but it seems that one has already been opened up for me with both the forum name and reader name stated as DavidReader, and also why the need for choosing a different reader name?
yes the BC is opening a Reader page for you, you don't have anything to do for that. Only say if you wish another name as reader name. You don't have to have a different name, it can be your forum name. Usually it's the name you will say in your voice credit in the intro disclaimer "read for LibriVox.org by David Reader" if you say that, than your reader name should usually also be David Reader.
Just to let you know, though Cantonese is spoken by a lot of people in the world (I guess it is near 100 million), as far as I know, there is almost no extant literary works in the public domain that are written in Cantonese.
wow I had no idea. :shock: A widely spoken language that has no written literature. Interesting, any idea why ? Does China have a sort of only one official language where all the literature has to be written in ? :hmm: I would have thought that all the many languages of China have a literature of their own. But I don't know much about Chinese language to be really informed about it.

Anyway, your English is perfect, so no need for Cantonese to participate ;)

Sonia

DavidReader

Post by DavidReader » December 10th, 2018, 8:52 pm

Hi Kitty,
Again, thanks so much for your clear and detailed explanations; scales are falling from my eyes. As to the question of why almost no literary work was written in Cantonese, this is one that may worth a college thesis. Suffice it to say that most of the written Chinese are either in the form of Classical Chinese or Pai-Hua (modern written vernacular Chinese), both are in the style of Mandarin. The latter may be regarded as the standard style of writing for speakers of the other Chinese dialects at present, not just for Cantonese. But there is indeed a form of written Cantonese, but whose use nowadays are restricted to informal contexts. Anyway, a long story.

Best regards
David