[PL OK]My first test audio

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
bradmurphy53

Post by bradmurphy53 » November 7th, 2018, 10:06 am

Here is the link to my first test audio

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_bradmurphy53.mp3

Thanks,

Brad

bradmurphy53

Post by bradmurphy53 » November 7th, 2018, 10:09 am

Recorded with Audacity on Mac OS 10.13.4 along with a USB Samson Go Mic

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » November 7th, 2018, 1:31 pm

Hi!
I can check this later this afternoon.

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » November 7th, 2018, 4:17 pm

Hi bradmurphy,
You have a very good reading voice- nice and clear, and well-paced. Just a few pointers:

The bit rate should be 128 kbps constant. You can fix this by going to Audacity, clicking File>Export>Export as MP3, and under Format Options save this as Bit Rate Mode=Constant and Quality=128 kbps.
You've left about 7 seconds of silence, most- if not all- projects require only 5.
The volume falls just within the boundaries (85-92 dB, and it's at 86.1) so technically that's ok, but an optional fix is to Amplify it just by 3 or something. You can do this by going to Effect>Amplify and typing in 3, then hitting OK.

Your reading speed is good, and your background noise is almost non-existent (which is an excellent thing). Just reupload and post back here with the corrections, and I can mark it PL OK.

bradmurphy53

Post by bradmurphy53 » November 7th, 2018, 6:27 pm

Hey there,

Thanks for taking a listen to my test audio and thank you for the helpful feedback. I adjusted the levels that you mentioned and have re-uploaded the audio file. I had a little difficulty amplifying the audio until I checked the allowed clipping box, and then proceeded to boost by 2.

I hope everything is fixed with this version:

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_bradmurphy53.mp3

Thanks again,

Brad

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » November 8th, 2018, 12:17 pm

Hi Brad,
This recording is excellent- I ran it through Checker and the volume is spot-on, congratulations! This recording is PL OK so have fun recording for projects!

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » November 8th, 2018, 4:15 pm

Sorry, but just to clarify:

you should NOT check the "allow clipping" box when you amplify!

"Clipping" means that the waveforms hit the window on top or on bottom, and when that happens, they are simply cut off - which leads to a loss of data and distortions. This did not happen in your test, but you are dangerously close to the top of the window already. Which means that when you read something more exciting than our test, it is likely that you will be clipping and get those distortions which are not fixable other than by rerecording.

To get a more even recording (which will help with the amplifying), play around a bit with the compressor and/or leveler effect in audacity. Here is a list of helpful videos by Phil, one of our admins.
Cheers,
Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com

Inspired by LibriVox: The 8 Views of Lake Biwa

bradmurphy53

Post by bradmurphy53 » November 8th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Thanks for all the great feedback. I'll be sure to check out those links and continue to fine tune my audio files.

Looking forward to contributing to Librivox!

Brad