one minute test for htrm [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
htrm

Post by htrm » August 17th, 2018, 10:13 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_htrm.mp3

Audacity
Windows
Built-in laptop microphone

kathrinee
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by kathrinee » August 17th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Thank your for your test, Heather -- you sound good!

All the technical stuff is correct in the test, well done!

I do recommend "cleaning" some of the background hum. It is easy to do in Audacity :) Select a few seconds of background noise only (no speech) and click Effect | Noise Reduction | Get Profile. Then select the whole recording (Ctrl+A), click Effect | Noise Reduction again, and use settings:

Noise Reduction: 10 dB
Sensitivity: 6
Frequency smoothing (bands) 6

and click OK. These settings are low but you can do it twice if you like.

It sounds a little as if you are fading in at the start of the recording. I don't know why that is, whether it is some setting that is activated. If so, I recommend doing a few seconds of nonsense talking or singing or whatever you like before you start reading the actual text (well, the actual intro). You can easily edit that out when you do the rest of the editing.

I'm happy for you to start recording for real so I will mark test [OK] :thumbs: If you'd like a dry run with the noise reduction tool, feel free to play with the test, and if you'd like us to listen again, feel free to upload and post again in this thread. I think the noise reduction is one of the tools Librivoxers use the most (I know I certainly use it for every single recording I make). You can head over to the Readers Wanted forums and claim a section or two that look appealing to you! Have fun :thumbs:
Kathrine

Fairytales in Danish, Swedish, or Norwegian

htrm

Post by htrm » August 17th, 2018, 8:19 pm

Thank you for all of the great advice!