1 min test - LibriVox n00b [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
amprobst

Post by amprobst » August 9th, 2018, 11:56 am

(*NOTE* New test at https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_amprobst2.mp3 as stated in more recent post below)
____ _____ _____ ______ ____ ____ ____ ____

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_amprobst.mp3

Recorded on Adobe Audition 11.1.1.3, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, analog mic Audio-Technica AT2020

This is my first recording on this mic, and on this forum. Particularly trying to figure out if I'll need to create any sort of sound dampening for the mic/setup. All advice is appreciated!
Last edited by amprobst on August 13th, 2018, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ohne Musik wäre das Leben ein Irrtum" -Nietzsche
[but add to that "Musik" list: books, art, theatre, film, DnD...]

msfry

Post by msfry » August 10th, 2018, 9:13 am

amprobst wrote:
August 9th, 2018, 11:56 am
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_amprobst.mp3

Recorded on Adobe Audition 11.1.1.3, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, analog mic Audio-Technica AT2020

This is my first recording on this mic, and on this forum. Particularly trying to figure out if I'll need to create any sort of sound dampening for the mic/setup. All advice is appreciated!
Hi Amprobst (not your real name I'm sure). :D

I listened to your recording and checked the specs using Checker. Your tech settings are okay.
There is quite a bit of background noise, which you can reduce easily, but I'm not sure how to do it with Adobe Audition. In Audacity you just grab a few seconds of silence before or after, or between words, to get an Noise Profile, then establish some settings in your Noise Reduction Effect by fiddling around (nothing too extreme) and see what happens. Two light passes are better than one, but more than 2 heavy passes can distort your voice.
There were lots of plosives (sharp p's) in your recording, which can easily be avoided by placing your mike at a 45 degree angle to your mouth, at least a foot away, and using a sock over your mike.

All else sounds fine, and as your tech specs are okay, you are good to go. Or you can upload a second version here and I'll have another listen.

And if you like poetry, head on over to my project and make your first recording WITH ME! Tee hee. I would love that. No pressure. We all just have fun, and you could be in our catalog and a published reader by Sunday!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=71196&sid=f00fd583d10016ff096017646fdee752
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
"Knowing that a tomato is actually a fruit is Knowledge. Wisdom is not putting one in a fruit salad."

amprobst

Post by amprobst » August 10th, 2018, 10:10 am

msfry wrote:
August 10th, 2018, 9:13 am
I listened to your recording and checked the specs using Checker. Your tech settings are okay.
There is quite a bit of background noise, which you can reduce easily, but I'm not sure how to do it with Adobe Audition. In Audacity you just grab a few seconds of silence before or after, or between words, to get an Noise Profile, then establish some settings in your Noise Reduction Effect by fiddling around (nothing too extreme) and see what happens. Two light passes are better than one, but more than 2 heavy passes can distort your voice.
Good to know! In light of this, I now have some acoustic panelling on its way. I'm hoping to create a very simple little dampening cave around my mic, which should *hopefully!* get rid of a lot of the noise. We'll see what I can come up with between the internet (including that absolutely fantastic LibriVox wiki!) and my crafting *ahem* "skills."

And I'll play around with Adobe Audition's noise reduction features in the meantime-- because one can never have too much practice with that sort of thing :)
msfry wrote:
There were lots of plosives (sharp p's) in your recording, which can easily be avoided by placing your mike at a 45 degree angle to your mouth, at least a foot away, and using a sock over your mike.
Haha I really should have guessed on that one... I've always tended toward over-exuberance and over-pronunciation. I'll be sure to place the mic further away and at a much greater angle next time. And also to practice softening the plosives when recording... Thank you!
msfry wrote:
All else sounds fine, and as your tech specs are okay, you are good to go. Or you can upload a second version here and I'll have another listen.

And if you like poetry, head on over to my project and make your first recording WITH ME! Tee hee. I would love that. No pressure. We all just have fun, and you could be in our catalog and a published reader by Sunday!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=71196&sid=f00fd583d10016ff096017646fdee752
Thank you for giving the test a listen so quickly, and for such helpful feedback! I'll make a second test Monday for upload. That should give me time to have rigged something with the acoustic foam, and my (rather loud) family will be back at work like the lovely, productive people they are. Unfortunately, that also means I won't be able to participate in your fortnightly poem-- but I hope to be able to record for the next one!

amprobst

Post by amprobst » August 13th, 2018, 10:51 am

New test at https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_amprobst2.mp3
Added some acoustic foam to my setup, changed mic position and gain, got rid of a noise source in the room. The above file is unprocessed.

Played around with simple noise reduction to get: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_amprobst2_noiseredux.mp3