One minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
kaydawidow

Post by kaydawidow » August 6th, 2018, 5:55 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_kaydawidow.mp3

The software I used is audacity, I'm on Windows 10, and I'm using a really basic mic that came with some headphones I got at Target--hopefully, they'll work. I did manage to figure out adjusting the volume myself so the sound is better, but I think I keep getting some background white noise every time I record.

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » August 7th, 2018, 11:18 am

Hi Kay -

Thanks very much for submitting your recording! Welcome to Librivox!

There are a couple of settings that need to be fixed in your recording for it to pass. I have listed them for you and how to resolve them. The GOOD thing is that once they are fixed, the settings will stay this way other than the volume, which is recording dependent.

The bit rate should be 128 kbps and the recording should use a constant bit rate rather than variable bit rate (VBR). Both of these settings are found on the File/Export/MP3 window when you are exporting the file. Please refer to the instructions on how to do a Librivox Test recording as to how to set them properly.

The recording should be in mono sound, not stereo sound.  This is found in Edit/Preferences/Devices (right at the top of the list) when you have your recording displayed in Audacity. Change Channels option to Mono.

The volume falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB). Your volume is 85.4 dB so just a bit under what we need. If you select your whole recording while in the Audacity window and then go to Effect/Amplify and change the number in the window to 6, then export (with new settings and the mono set) and then send the recording back to me the way you did the first time you should be at the correct volume.

If you want to test your recording first, this is a tool that some of us use at Librivox that can check how you are doing. https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html

Just select File and then upload your saved test recording - if you get a Passed you are good to go! If it says Failed or another message read what is says under the Validation tab and see if you can correct it. REGARDLESS of what it says, please upload the file and respond to this thread with your next try so I can help you or pass you! :)

Lynda

kaydawidow

Post by kaydawidow » August 8th, 2018, 3:37 pm

Here's my new link: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_kaydawidow.mp3
I changed the bit rate and fixed the stereo to mono, but when I used the amplification effect, the checker program said the audio was too loud. So I posted a version with the stereo changed to mono without the effect to see what you think. Thanks for your help!

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » August 8th, 2018, 4:30 pm

Hi Kay -

You are doing well - the volume is in the correct place as it is a 88 db now which is in the range (we aim for 89 db so you are just perfect where you are) however if you listen to the recording you will hear a bunch of noise - a hissing sound in the beginning and then you moving the mic etc. All that adds up to having too much noise in the recording so it does not pass.

I think now that you have all your Librivox settings correct it would be best for you to re-record the verse and see how that goes.

When you re-record it, export it and then run it through the Checker program that I sent you to see what it says - it should not have the same amount of noise this time as you should not have had to play with so many of the settings this time. The challenge with playing with Amplify is that if there is a low amount of noise it will amplify that also :( so sometimes the recording gets worse.

Also upload the link here in this thread and I am more than happy to take a peek at it - you are almost there!

Lynda

kaydawidow

Post by kaydawidow » August 8th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Okay, I don't know what I'm doing differently that's messing it up, but I think I broke Audacity. I've rerecorded a few times and I can't seem to get rid of that background noise even though I'm in a completely quiet room (save for those sadistic crickets right outside my window--it couldn't be that, though, could it? The mic's not that good...). Also, the checker says that I can't seem to get the volume right this time. By itself, the audio is too quiet, but when I used the amplify tool to adjust it even a little, the audio gets too loud. I'd wonder if it's my mic, but I could get the audio in range before, so I'm not sure what I did. Here's my retest: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_kaydawidow_3.mp3

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » August 8th, 2018, 11:01 pm

Hi there!

Well that recording was better!

Can you please do me a favour? Can you please do a recording and do not change it, export it and then upload it and post the link here?

I would like to hear what a recording sounds like before you try and modify it - perhaps I can help you with what settings to use to modify your recording so that it will pass. Trust me, once you understand your microphone and how loud your natural recording is and how to modify it, you will just repeat that with each recording in the future. It does get easier!

Lynda :)

kaydawidow

Post by kaydawidow » August 9th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Okay, I've rerecorded without any effects or editing. The audio was better on this one without me doing anything and it passed on the checker, so I think what I was doing wrong before was that I had the mic in a bad position (unfortunately, I think I still heard it moving toward the end of the recording, but I bet I can fix that with practice). It's a little sad how proud I am of myself for figuring that out right now! :D I'm not sure about the background noise, though. Here's my new link: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_kaydawidow_retest3.mp3

Thanks for your patience in helping me figure this out!

Lmnei

Post by Lmnei » August 9th, 2018, 7:14 pm

Hi Katie!

Thanks very much for your recording! You have passed! Way to go!

So just to address some of your concerns - I think your mic is fine - I think the noise that you are hearing is perhaps you moving some paper on your desk? That is what it sounds like to me as it only occurs twice in the recording - after you start talking and then just at the end.

What kind of mic are you using? Is it a mic on your desk? Or does it pin to your shirt or is it a headset?

I took your last recording and edited it a little so it still passes however it is a little more closer to a middle of the line recording with what Librivox is looking for such as 89 db plus the .5 to 1 second at the beginning and 5 seconds at the end. Here it is and also some information on what I did plus some tips after that.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_kaydawidow_retest4.mp3

1. Magnified the recording so it shows it in 1 second blocks (just before it switches to .5 second blocks). That is the icon looking like a magnifying glass with the + in it.
2. At the beginning you have some great quiet space so I highlighted about a second of it and then went to Effect > Noise Reduction Get Noise Profile button. That sets the noise profile you are trying to follow. Now highlight the whole recording (click on the right side or Ctrl-A) and select Effect > Noise Reduction and with the settings of 3, 6.0, 6 and Reduce select OK. This will take some of the background noise out. I THINK I did this only once.
3. Now I amplified it which you are used to doing - however I hardly ever amplify the amount that Audacity tells me to - I generally do it 2 or 3 dB at a time. I believe I selected 3 in this instance and did it twice in a row (there is a difference between doing 6 all at once and two times 3 - I would try 3 once and then do number 4 and see where you are at first while you are learning).
4. Now I exported the file and ran it through Checker. It said it passed and was at 89db.

Some other notes - in Amplify you CAN enter negative figures like -3 or -2 to reduce the volume of a recording if you amplified to high by mistake. The other thing you can do is Noise Reduction or Compressor sometimes works too.

I use Compressor when I want to Amplify and it will not let me enter the number I wish - for example if you go into Amplify and it will only allow you to go up 1db and you want to do 3db, then go to Compressor, leave all the settings the same except ratio which you slide the bar to 3:1 and press okay. That compresses your recording so that you can then amplify it.

Basically, you are ready to go now and record! Can I suggest a book that I am currently coordinating that has some very easy chapters for you to get your feet wet with? If you have any issues I can then still help you.

If you click here you will be able to see the book (The Tale of Old Dog Spot) and near the top of the 1st page there is a link to the book which you can look at prior to signing up if you want to read a chapter or two! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71303

Lynda

kaydawidow

Post by kaydawidow » August 22nd, 2018, 5:39 pm

Hi, sorry it's taken me time to respond--I caught a cold and haven't really been up to doing much. Thanks for your help, and I would love to read a chapter or two! I'll head over to sign up for a couple chapters for when my voice is back to normal!