1 minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
NightRose

Post by NightRose » June 13th, 2018, 2:27 pm

Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_nightrose.mp3

Recording Software: Audacity

Operating System: Windows

Mic Type: USB
~NightRose
----------------

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » June 13th, 2018, 5:04 pm

Hello NightRose,

Thanks for the test. You got a good voice and the volume is where we like it! :thumbs:

You'll need to fix a couple of things, though.

First, make sure you're recording in mono, not stereo. Go Edit->Preferences->Devices->Recording and set number of channels to 1.
Second, when you are ready to export, make sure you set the "Bitrate mode" to "constant" (yours is variable). And quality to 128 kbps.

Then export like before, upload like before, and post a reply here.

Hope to hear you soon! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

NightRose

Post by NightRose » June 13th, 2018, 5:49 pm

~NightRose
----------------

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » June 13th, 2018, 6:01 pm

It's definitely better. In fact, it satisfies our requirements. :thumbs:

You can go sign up to a group project in our "Readers Wanted" forums and read for real, even before this thread is marked with an OK by a passing admin.

Now that I've listened a bit closer to your recording, I would like to ask whether your audio driver has some kind of AGC and/or noise reduction filter engaged. If so (and you can record as is, don't get me wrong), I would still try to disengage it/them and try recording without them.

You already have the export settings right, there is no need to check them, Audacity will keep those. You record in mono, which is also good.

But your voice comes through a bit distorted, and with a USB microphone I expected the quality much higher.

Would you like to try finding it out? In your system tray, right-click on the small speaker icon, select "Open Sound Settings" or something like that, then (on the right-hand side) click "Sound control panel" (presuming you're on Win10), see "Recording" tab, select your microphone, then click "Properties" button below. Is there a "Custom" tab? If yes, on it there might be "AGC" checkbox. Uncheck it. Look around for "Noise Reduction" or "Noise Cancellation" or something like that. Make sure it's turned off as well. Will you try it?
tovarisch

NightRose

Post by NightRose » June 14th, 2018, 9:02 am

I got as far as properties. There wasn't a custom or AGC tab, but I looked around a bit and found that noise suppression was checked and unchecked it. There's background hum now, but with manual noise reduction, it sounds way better when speaking. I thought that the echo on my previous recordings was just an echo, but I guess not. I assume you don't need another take. Thanks for your help!
~NightRose
----------------

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » June 14th, 2018, 9:09 am

NightRose wrote:
June 14th, 2018, 9:02 am
I assume you don't need another take.
It's up to you whether you want anybody to take a listen and give you some feedback or advise on the ways to further improve your audio. For noise cleaning recommendations see our wiki (the link is at the top of any forum page).
tovarisch

NightRose

Post by NightRose » June 14th, 2018, 9:16 am

Sounds good.
~NightRose
----------------