[OK]One Minute test

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
AllisonRose

Post by AllisonRose » June 10th, 2018, 10:58 am

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » June 10th, 2018, 12:16 pm

Hello Allison,

Thank you for the test.

You've exported the MP3 with all the right settings, which is good. :thumbs:

The audio itself needs your attention. The volume (which our proof-listeners usually measure using Checker software) is too high (95.3 dB). Our target value is 89 dB. Anywhere between 87 and 91 dB is OK.

Please reduce the gain on your microphone for the future recordings. Set it so that the wave peaks reach about 0.5 height (and never touch the maximum). When the waveform touches the outside, it usually is caused by the signal which is too strong, and that distorts the sound.

Also, you have a great microphone, very sensitive. When recording, try not to touch the microphone or whatever is stands on, otherwise it records all those bumps.

To get your test recording pass, you need to reduce its volume by 6 dB. If you use Audacity (you didn't say), do Effect -> Amplify... and enter -6 (yes, minus six) as "value", then OK, then save and re-export.

Once you have fixed the volume and re-exported, run your MP3 though Checker (which I strongly recommend to download and install), and if you get green, upload again and post a reply in this thread.

Hope to hear you soon! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

AllisonRose

Post by AllisonRose » June 12th, 2018, 8:36 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/allisonrose_one_minute_test_two.mp3

I hope you don't mind - I re-did it. One of my issues was I'd changed my mic set up (I had it further back and hadn't adjusted how I spoke and I sorted it...)
thank you for telling me about the checker! It's super useful and helpful in understanding what was needed.

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » June 13th, 2018, 5:00 am

Thank you for your effort, Allison. :)

All the technical aspects are now OK. :thumbs:

The only remaining issue is the background noise. Would you like to try fixing it without re-recording? It's not difficult, one pass of noise reduction takes care of most of the crackling and hiss present. See if you can follow instructions on this wiki page on noise cleaning.

The simple steps are: (1) select a bit of room noise (I tried about 1.5 seconds at the end of your track, somewhere @57.0), (2) Effect -> Noise Reduction -> [Get Noise Profile], (3) Select the entire track (important!), then (4) Effect -> Noise Reduction -> [OK]. Then listen from the beginning and see how much quieter the background has become.

I strongly recommend you this if this background is going to be present in most of your tracks. It's a simple post-processing step (before you export), and will take care of all this stuff.

You are basically ready. Just a small additional step to get familiar with and used to. :)
tovarisch

AllisonRose

Post by AllisonRose » June 14th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Ah yes I see what you meant, sorry. Thanks for the help

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/allisonrose_oneminutetest3.mp3

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » June 14th, 2018, 6:15 pm

Wonderful result, Allison! :clap:

You have now learned the most important tools you will use in your recordings. Well, at least you've tried using those tools and know what they can do. This is great! :thumbs:

You are now ready for LibriVox.

An admin will stop by to mark this thread with an OK, and you go right to our "Readers Wanted" forums and find yourself a group project to join, claim a section or a few, and read away!

Happy recording! :)
tovarisch