1 Minute Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
Shphynx

Post by Shphynx » April 24th, 2018, 3:54 pm

Here's my test!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_shphynx.mp3

Recorded in: Audacity / Windows / wired condenser mic: MTG-020

The audio is unprocessed and I didn't find out how to get rid of the noise.
The checker program says the audio is not good, but I don't know what to do to make it better.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » April 25th, 2018, 4:06 am

Hello Shphynx, welcome and thank you for starting with a one-minute test :)

you technical settings are all perfect, and your reading voice and narrative fluency are quite good. :thumbs:

But I agree, you need to work a bit on the background noise and volume. And since you are using Audacity, I can walk you through the process and you will see that is not so difficult.

1) your volume is over 94 dB, which is too loud. We accept between the range of 86-92, with a preferred average of 89 dB. So first, could you decrease the volume, like this:

> highlight your entire recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input -4 (don't forget the MINUS sign !) in the first slot (amplification dB)
> press ok

2) your background noise will be decreased by 4 as well, but still it's too audible. Cleaning the noise in Audacity works like this:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect
> go to Noise Cleaning
> first select "Get Noise Profile"
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect --> Noise Cleaning
> now select OK

You will see that the blue spiky lines at the end of your recording have visibly decreased already. I would suggest doing this procedure TWICE to get rid of the noise.

Please try to do these two step-by-steps and reupload your new file in this same thread, so I can have another look. Don't re-record, please work on your OLD file, because the numbers I gave you just now are based on that test and may vary with each recording.

Thanks

Sonia

Shphynx

Post by Shphynx » April 25th, 2018, 2:59 pm

Thank you for your reply, Sonia!
I followed every step, but the checker still said the audio wasn't good, so I put a -5 (instead of -4) and then it passed :clap:
This is the edited file, hope it is good now :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_shphynx.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » April 25th, 2018, 11:58 pm

great, now you passed every test. :clap: I will OK your test and you are ready to record for real now. I hope you find an interesting project to start it. Just look around in all the subforums, there's bound to be something that catches your interest :)

Have fun !

Sonia

Shphynx

Post by Shphynx » April 26th, 2018, 7:51 am

^^b
thank you so much! I will do my best to help the project :wink:

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » April 26th, 2018, 11:37 pm

hey, I have just read in another project, that you speak Portuguese. I didn't know that. Well if you want to read something in Portuguese, we have currently a group project running here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=57971

Some chapters are quite long, I would suggest starting with a shorter to begin with though. Maybe one of the last two chapters, they are the shortest of the book.

Well, maybe I see you in there :)

Sonia