1-minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
sonora

Post by sonora » March 27th, 2018, 8:07 am

Hello to everyone!

I have made my first raw recording, you can listen to it here: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_martinanovotna.mp3
Anyway, I am using Audacity, Windows 8, microphone Trust MCP-200 and I haven't done any editing to the recording, no DC offset cancellation, noise suppression nor acoustic echo cancellation.

A million thanks in advance for all your suggestions and comments!:)

M

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » March 27th, 2018, 9:42 am

Hello Martina,

Welcome to LibriVox! Good to have you with us. :)

Thanks for the test. The MP3's technical aspects are all good. :thumbs:

The audio... :hmm: Well, I don't know that microphone, and can't find any audio samples from it on the web, and the amount of noise in your recording suggests that, if your microphone was used to make it, perhaps you have not connected it correctly or something else is the matter. There is so much static and low-frequency hum that I can only suggest trying a different device or at least making sure that the one you have is not malfunctioning. The last two seconds of your track can be used as the noise sample/profile to try to clean the rest, but if done, it will leave your voice affected adversely too much...

Can you try again, maybe? What computer is it? If it's a laptop, do you have a built-in microphone? If yes on both, try that (you need to choose it as input in Audacity).
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please

sonora

Post by sonora » March 28th, 2018, 12:37 am

Thank you very much for your comment!
The build-in microphone in my laptop is not any better so I guess I just picked the wrong microphone to buy and need another one :(

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » March 28th, 2018, 5:42 am

Martina,

Could you perhaps try the built-in mic to see what the difference is between them?
tovarisch

sonora

Post by sonora » March 31st, 2018, 1:48 am

Hello,

here it is: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test2_martinanovotna.mp3

I appreciate your suggestions!
Martina

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » March 31st, 2018, 4:31 am

Hello Martina,

Thank you for that recording.

You can probably (hopefully) hear the difference yourself, and you can see it in the waveform. The second recording has so much less noise in it that, hearing some rumble in the first couple of seconds and how tinny your voice comes through, I tend to think that you have some kind of noise cancelling active for the built-in microphone. You did say that the MCP-200 had no "noise suppression", and I can only suggest trying to turn it off for the built-in one as well.

The problem with noise cancelling (suppression) is that it tries to guess what the noise is going to be, and to perform it in real time. That usually leads to exclusion of some frequency ranges and affects the quality of the sound being recorded too much. For communication, like Skype or similar programs, it's acceptable, but for audiobooks I would argue that separate noise reduction (like one in Audacity) - with special noise profile selection and subsequent subtraction of that noise - works much better.

Lately our members have been finding that USB microphones are the preferred device for audiobook recording. One main advantage those have is that their circuitry can be (and usually is) electrically isolated from the rest of the computer. This allows their pre-amplifier and analog-to-digital converters work with relatively clean audio signal and deliver it with much less additional noise to the computer. That is another recommendation that I can give.

If you can trade your MCP-200 in for a USB microphone (even a cheap one), you may find that there is a world of difference in how your recordings will sound.

Whatever you decide, good luck! And please keep the discussion going, post audio samples, ask questions. We're here to help!
tovarisch

sonora

Post by sonora » April 9th, 2018, 2:23 am

Thank you! Will do. A new mic should be on its way..

sonora

Post by sonora » April 16th, 2018, 4:45 am

Hello,

you can listen to another test here: https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test6_martinanovotna.mp3
I am using Audacity, Windows 8, microphone Blue Snowball and there hasn't been any editing to the recording.

Looking forward to your reply!:)
M

tovarisch

Post by tovarisch » April 16th, 2018, 5:02 am

Thank you, Martina!

What a difference a decent microphone makes! :thumbs:

Your test passes; I would only like to urge you to adjust the volume a bit up. Checker reads it as 86.3 dB, which is within the (newly expanded) LibriVox range, but don't go any lower. In fact, if you bring it up by 3 dB by amplifying, you should be better still. I also recommend to install and use Checker.

Anyway, you are ready for LibriVox! :clap: I am told that it might take a few days for an admin to stop by and mark this thread with an OK, and you don't have to wait, go straight to our "Readers Wanted" forums, look around and sign up to a group project that strikes your fancy.

Happy recording! :)
tovarisch

sonora

Post by sonora » April 16th, 2018, 11:00 am

So happy to read your reply! Thank you :))