1 minute test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
GreenEggs1700

Post by GreenEggs1700 » March 13th, 2018, 4:44 pm

Here is my audio test. Any feedback is appreciated :D

Cheers,
Green

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1mintest_greeneggs1700.mp3

GreenEggs1700

Post by GreenEggs1700 » March 13th, 2018, 9:05 pm

lol that nose whistle at the end

GreenEggs1700

Post by GreenEggs1700 » March 14th, 2018, 5:12 pm

Here is my audio test. Any feedback is appreciated :D

Cheers,
Green

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1mintest_greeneggs1700.mp3

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » March 15th, 2018, 4:44 am

Hello Green :D welcome to our forum

I merged your two threads into one, so we have everything in one thread. I am basing my review on the final recording now:

Well, your reading as such is quite good, nothing to complain there. The technical settings are all correct as well. The volume is almost 88 dB, which is still inside our limit (86-92 dB).

I would only recommend one thing and that is a bit of noise-cleaning. You have quite a lot of background noise going on. Could you try and find the source of the noise and maybe do something about it ? Closing windows, recording in a quieter room, unplugged electric devices like fans and such.

Well, for this recording, could you please use the noise-cleaning function in Audacity (I hope you are using this program). Here is the step-by-step:

> select a small portion where you don't speak (usually at the end of your file)
> go to Effect - Noise Cleaning
> first select Get Noise Profile
> then highlight the entire recording
> again Effect - Noise Cleaning
> now select OK

I think for your level of background noise, it may be a helpful to run this twice.

Could you please try this and reupload in this same thread (don't start a new thread ;) ) I will have a second listen then.

If anything is still unclear, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Sonia

GreenEggs1700

Post by GreenEggs1700 » March 15th, 2018, 3:17 pm

Thank you for the reply. I am using audacity and will try the noise cleaning function. I will reupload once I get a minute and can try out the fix.

GreenEggs1700

Post by GreenEggs1700 » March 15th, 2018, 3:30 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/1mintest_greeneggs1700(2).mp3

here is the file again with the noise reduction. Only reduced once. Doing it a second time made the reading too quite. I am aware there are some pops/clipping at the start of the recording. I could attempt to rerecord the 1 min test. But I just want to make sure the voice and background noise is good, so I know how to do my set up.

Let me know if there is anything else to do.

Cheers,
Green

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » March 16th, 2018, 12:42 am

hmm it doesn't sound much changed to me, and the background noise is still there. You also have a bit of clipping, in parts where you are suddenly speaking louder. Excessive clipping can distort the sound, so try to keep your voice more level al the time, that makes it also easier to amplify the overall volume if needed.

Well, other than the background noise, all is fine though. So I think I'll give the test an OK now, but please, try to find the source of the noise, maybe it's something that can easily be changed.

All right, I see you have claimed in the Songs of the Sea and Lays of the Land, so I can check up on you once more, because I am the DPL there ;) see you soon and good luck !

Sonia