LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently September 23rd, 2017, 11:39 pm

Post Posted:: September 12th, 2017, 1:04 am 

Hi There! So new at this and would Love your feedback.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_relagu.mp3

Audacity, Mac OS, Mic Headset

Post Posted:: September 12th, 2017, 1:10 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

hello Rel Agu, welcome to Librivox and thank you for starting with a One-Minute-Test. This is to ensure all your tech specs are up to LibriVox standard and it will save you a lot of time later on with your first "real" recording.

The most important thing first: your reading is absolutely ok, you don't speak too fast and you don't mumble, so everything is clearly understandable. This is an absolut bonus for an aspiring narrator of books :thumbs:

Now to the technical aspects, which unfortunately need a bit of tweaking still. So it was really good to have started here ;)

1) your volume is at 93.7 dB, which is over our maximum of 92 dB. We accept any files from 86 to 92 dB, with a preferred average of 89 dB. So could you please decrease the volume by about 3-4 dB, that would be perfect then. At the same time it will decrease the background noise, which wasn't too disturbing in the first place. So no further noise-cleaning is needed
Quote:
to decrease the volume in Audacity:
> highlight the entire text
> go to Effect - Amplify and put -3 (don't forget the minus sign) in the first slot and press ok

While it's easy to decrease the volume, it would be good if you didn't record too loud in the first place, as this might result in clipping. You see some clippings in your recording, marked by the red lines on top of your blue curves, for example between 0:18 and 0:19 it happened twice. The result of excessive clipping is distortion of the voice in the worst case, so it should be avoided if only possible. Maybe you could set the recording volume of your microphone to a lower level.

2) you exported with a variable bitrate of about ~97 kbps but we need a constant bitrate of 128 kbps. This is easily changed in Audacity.
Quote:
> open your file
> go to File - Export Audio
> select save as type: MP3 Files
> click on Options (last button in the bottom right corner)
> choose Bit Rate Mode: Constant / Quality: 128 kbps / Channel: Joint Stereo and press OK
> then press Save and your file should be correctly exported

after this you don't need to change anything in Audacity anymore, these settings will remain until you manually change them again

Could you please do these two corrections and reupload your file a second time, so I can have another listen ? :)

If anything is still unclear, don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you, and don't worry, this looks like a lot, but actually it's only two small things to change. Once this is sorted out, you're ready to roll.

Sonia

Post Posted:: September 12th, 2017, 3:23 pm 

Thank youu so much! Yes, I'm very new to this! Eeep. I'm glad it was okayy!! Thank you so much for the feedback, is this right?

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_relagu2.mp3

Post Posted:: September 12th, 2017, 11:38 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

Thank you Rel, and congrats, you corrected both the volume and the technical configurations perfectly. The volume is now at 90.1 dB and this is absolutely a good average to listen to. :thumbs:

I can give your Test the coveted OK and wish you fun roaming around the forum, hopefully you find a project to your taste.

Enjoy and good luck with your first LV recording. :)

Sonia

Post Posted:: September 13th, 2017, 9:46 am 

Thank YOUu!