[COMPLETE] Ninety-nine Homilies of St. Thomas Aquinas upon the Epistles and Gospels - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Ninety-nine Homilies of St. Thomas Aquinas upon the Epistles and Gospels, by Saint Thomas Aquinas (1225 - 1274), translated by John M. Ashley

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/ninety-nine-homilies-of-st-thomas-aquinas-upon-the-epistles-and-gospels/
The Homilies of the great "Angelical Doctor" are but outlines, the filling in of which are left to the preacher's own judgment and taste. It is because these outline Homilies are so very full of suggestive hints, and display such a very wonderful knowledge of Holy Scripture, that the experiment is made of presenting the Advent series to the reader in an English dress. The skeleton character of the original is preserved in the translation. (Summary by Notice in Preface)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/ninetyninehomili00thomuoft/page/n4/mode/1up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Homily # of Ninety-nine Homilies. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Ninety-nine Homilies of St. Thomas Aquinas upon the Epistles and Gospels, translated by John M. Ashley. Section Title."

Special Notes:
  • Don't read the homily number in the heading (eg: HOMILY VI.). Follow the MW intro, numbering and titles.
  • Do read the heading eg: TENTH SUNDAY AFTER TRINITY. (FROM THE GOSPEL.) This should be the first thing you read in the body of the recording (after the section title).
  • You can skip the Roman numerals (I, II etc.) which introduce the 'heads'. Just read the text as written. Eg: "On the third head etc."
  • Ignore the ellipsis (...) and just read straight through.
  • Read the numbers in brackets (1) (2) etc.
  • S. is an abbreviation for 'saint'.
  • I've tried my best to make the text links correct but if the title doesn't match, try flipping back or forward a page to find the right one.
End of recording:
Say:
"End of homily #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Ninety-nine Homilies of St. Thomas Aquinas upon the Epistles and Gospels, by Saint Thomas Aquinas, translated by John M. Ashley."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: homilieepistlegospels_##_aquinas_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. homilieepistlegospels_01_aquinas_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by InTheDesert on October 22nd, 2022, 8:06 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: DPL 43 27-28
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Since Ælfric's Homilies have proved popular, I thought I'd launch something similar. These are very short so it will take me a while to set up the MW with many sections.

I will DPL.

Here's the most I can find about the translator. He was active from ~1850 to ~1895 so there shouldn't be any issues with date of death.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
farnhamcrier

Post by farnhamcrier »

May be a bit premature, but I would like to claim Homily 1
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

farnhamcrier wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 12:16 pm May be a bit premature, but I would like to claim Homily 1
Nice that this one has interest already! I usually pick up the first and last sections for my BC projects myself but you'd be very welcome to any of the other ones if there isn't a special attachment to the actual content of the first one. Otherwise, I could be persuaded to hand it over :)
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Could I make an early request? If not, I can wait. :(

I'd like # 16 on "The Three trees". I find the fig tree most interesting.

Thank you,

M
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mleigh wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 6:16 pm Could I make an early request? If not, I can wait. :(

I'd like # 16 on "The Three trees". I find the fig tree most interesting.

Thank you,

M
Yes you may! Though I'm not sure which one you mean yet because the numbering restarts. Point it out once I get the MW sorted out :)
farnhamcrier

Post by farnhamcrier »

More than happy to select another.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

TriciaG wrote: September 25th, 2022, 6:05 pm This is set up. :)
Thankyou! It's a complex one so it will take me a while to set up ready for readers.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

In addition to the one I asked for earlier, I would like to add one more at this time if I may.

65 The Three Trees
43 The Good Shepherd

Thank you,

M
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mleigh wrote: September 26th, 2022, 8:48 am In addition to the one I asked for earlier, I would like to add one more at this time if I may.

65 The Three Trees
43 The Good Shepherd

Thank you,

M
Assigned! You can even get started if you can find the right pages. I'm still working on the text links.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

TriciaG wrote: September 25th, 2022, 6:05 pm This is set up. :)
I believe we are now ready for claims. That one is up there in my top 3 worst MW setting up experiences! Lots of sections and the IA links were very hard because of strange pagination.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

farnhamcrier wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 11:47 pm More than happy to select another.
Let me know which one you'd like.
farnhamcrier

Post by farnhamcrier »

3 The Teaching of Holy Scripture - No. 1
4 The Teaching of Holy Scripture - No. 2
5 The Advent of Justice

The above please
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

farnhamcrier wrote: September 27th, 2022, 1:08 am 3 The Teaching of Holy Scripture - No. 1
4 The Teaching of Holy Scripture - No. 2
5 The Advent of Justice

The above please
Done!