SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

Thank you. This is loaded for proofing.
Scott
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Our first file :) Thank you, Ryan, this is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
vonkluver

Post by vonkluver »

Hello
I'll take on Chapter III please.
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

vonkluver wrote: December 21st, 2021, 6:48 pm Hello
I'll take on Chapter III please.
Appreciate your help! 3 is yours.

Happy Holidays to you
Scott
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

LCaulkins wrote: December 30th, 2021, 3:57 pm Here is Chapter 1:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/boytravellersmexico_01_knox_128kb.mp3 (24:45)
Appreciate it. I did the proofing since you're the PL. This is PL OK.
Scott
vonkluver

Post by vonkluver »

Just wanted to say hi & Happy New Year Chapter III is coming along nicely.
Cheers :D
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Happy New Year :)

Thanks for popping in.

Oops - I'm the DPL, not the BC on this one. Wrong work cap. :lol:
~Lynette * -
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

stealing my thunder, eh?

Appreciate your help, vonkluver.
Scott
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Here you go, Chapter 34 :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/boytravellersmexico_34_knox_128kb.mp3 (35:39)

. . . and, it looks like Section 21 is the longest open one, so put me on that. :D
~Lynette * -
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

done
Scott
vonkluver

Post by vonkluver »

Uploaded CH III : https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chapter_iii.mp3
Been a fast couple of months
SCaulkins

Post by SCaulkins »

Appreciate it. Chapter 3 is loaded.
Scott
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

vonkluver wrote: January 27th, 2022, 6:10 pm Uploaded CH III : https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/chapter_iii.mp3
Been a fast couple of months
Hello - welcome to LibriVox! And thank you for helping with this project. :)

Your reading is so nice! There are four things that need editing attention: Pauses, end-silence, a missing word, file name
  • First, the pauses - and I suspect this happened from using the Truncate Silence effect? - There are no pauses at all between sentences for most of the recording, so that everything mashes together.

I've never used the Truncate feature, so I don't know how to coach you on settings for a future use. I don't know if you have a copy of your recording you can revert to before the pauses were clipped, but this probably will need to be hand-groomed by copy/pasting a bit of silence between the silences.

(Open the recording and zoom in the track until you see the half-second tick marks. Copy a stretch of silence from the beginning that is a little longer than a half second. Now you can play the recording, and every time a sentence starts, paste in that pause. It'll probably be helpful to have the text open.)

*I found the stretch between 9:25 and 13:45 to be not so bad this way, so you can skip over that portion. I would start at 13:45 to do the back third first, then go to the beginning - please include the LibriVox intro portion - and work your way through the end of the poem. (which is where the OK part currently starts)
  • Missing word - If you scan the text while pasting in sentence pauses, you may see three places where words were omitted. Two of those I didn't notate, because it didn't change the meaning of the reading, but one word should be fixed. It is the very first "The" of the chapter. Can you please record that first sentence again and paste it into the recording to replace what is there currently (you'll want to do noise control on your fresh recording before pasting the sentence in, and then check to see if its volume matches well with the follow-on reading - may need to do positive or negative Amplification to get it to match well).
  • End Silence - This needs to be 5 seconds long (it is 1.5ish at the moment). Just copy/paste that end bit until it's long enough. :)
  • File name - after you have done the edits, when you export to MP3, can you change the file name to this: boytravellersmexico_03_knox_128kb
Thank you so much!

Sorry about the pauses. There are many editing tools that are awesome time savers, but they can go awry pretty easily. When we use them, it's best to play back a portion of our recording so we can tell by ear if the effect came off the way we wanted. Then, if things weren't so great with the settings - pauses all completely gone, noise reduction so strong that now it sounds like Darth Vader, compression so much that now my voice sounds super weird - we can just click control-Z and try gentler settings. Once it's saved, though, I don't know how to go back to the original recording, and I think all that's left is to re-record, or hand groom with real-time edits as I listen to the track. Can you tell how I learned to play back before saving? :lol: I'm pretty sure control-Z is my best friend now

When you upload your edited file, don't forget to post the link and the file's length of time again so we know it's here. :)
~Lynette * -