[COMPLETE] The Guide for the Perplexed Part One, by Moses Maimonides - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Please do!

It appears we're following the text and noting any deviations that affect the meaning. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
czandra

Post by czandra »

Hi. I picked up this thread in its locked version at first, and listened to section 2, which appeared not to have been listened to from that MW. If you'd like, I can listen sporadically to other sections which I now find on this thread's MW, have not been PL'ed.

My unsollicited note on section 2: there is an omitted word whose absence muddies the meaning (there are a couple of other omitted words elsewhere which do not affect meaning): p. 116, line 6, at approx. 5min. 45s, you've read "had previously" instead of "had seen previously".

Let me know if you want help with PL. I appreciate hearing the full version of eg. and viz.! Thanks

Czandra
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
czandra

Post by czandra »

I'll read section 71

Cz

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

czandra wrote: October 20th, 2021, 7:12 am Hi. I picked up this thread in its locked version at first, and listened to section 2, which appeared not to have been listened to from that MW. If you'd like, I can listen sporadically to other sections which I now find on this thread's MW, have not been PL'ed.

My unsollicited note on section 2: there is an omitted word whose absence muddies the meaning (there are a couple of other omitted words elsewhere which do not affect meaning): p. 116, line 6, at approx. 5min. 45s, you've read "had previously" instead of "had seen previously".

Let me know if you want help with PL. I appreciate hearing the full version of eg. and viz.! Thanks

Czandra
The original reader is no longer around to make edits. One missed word is probably not enough to ditch the entire section, but the new BC will make that call. :)
czandra

Post by czandra »

here it is, horse out of the starting gate:

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/guidefortheperplexed_71_maimonides_128kb.mp3
19min 45s

Cz

czandra

Post by czandra »

TriciaG wrote: October 20th, 2021, 7:45 am

The original reader is no longer around to make edits. One missed word is probably not enough to ditch the entire section, but the new BC will make that call. :)
Sorry to hear. I hope the lack of breathing on LV recordings didn't affect his health! (Please forgive if you find this in bad taste. I do hope he's okay.)

Cz

erieston

Post by erieston »

Hello all! I'm the BC and I'm so sorry for any replies that are waiting for answers; earlier this month I found myself on the wrong side of a distracted driver :lol: but I am OK now and making my way through anything I've missed on this thread! Thank you all who have offered to PL—it is greatly appreciated on this post!

Please note:
As our MC (TriciaG) has stated, unfortunately the original reader is not longer around so there might be errors in the recording we are unable to correct. Please still note these as some might be able to be edited or manipulated to sound better or be corrected!
erieston

Post by erieston »

TriciaG wrote: October 6th, 2021, 3:57 pm
erieston wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 6:02 pm PL Notes
Chapter 23 - @ 03:24 I hear "...his fortune and misfortune then depart" instead of "...his fortune and misfortune then depend"

Chapter 24 - @ 02:44 I hear "...your God. (Deuteronomy twelve, nine)" instead of "...your God. (Deuteronomy thirteen, nine)"

Chapter 26 - @ 03:45 I hear "I would have been..." instead of "it would have been..."

Chapter 30 - @ 02:16 "come" in the scripture quote "come ye buy and eat" has been omitted | @ 03:28 I hear "Isaiah four, one" instead of "Isaiah fifty-five, one"
Chapter 36 PL Notes:

1:45-1:50 I hear "...daughters (Deuteronomy twelve nineteen)" instead of "...daughters (Deuteronomy thirty-two nineteen)"

5:52-5:58 I hear "'...the Lord,' etc. (Exodus thirteen twenty-five)" instead of "'...the Lord,' etc. (Exodus twenty-three twenty-five)"
These are fixed. Please spot-check to see what you think. The only not-very-seamless one, IMHO, is the one in chapter 26.

Chapter 30 had the "Isaiah 4" rather than "Isaiah 55" error also just after that quote at 2:16. I fixed that one, too.
Thank you SO MUCH! You are a real MVP!! :lol:
I'll work through these and spot-check once more then mark as PL OK (hopefully lol)

UPDATE: These are all PL OK! :thumbs: great work Tricia!! :clap:
Last edited by erieston on October 21st, 2021, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erieston

Post by erieston »

marissa27 wrote: October 18th, 2021, 10:13 pm May I proof read sections 40, 41, 42, 43, 44?
I'm not sure if you've been given the OK yet but please feel free to! It is standard proofreading, but I do recommend following the text given how dense some of the recordings and text can be :D
erieston

Post by erieston »

marissa27 wrote: October 18th, 2021, 10:13 pm May I proof read sections 40, 41, 42, 43, 44?
I'm not sure if you've been given the OK yet but please feel free to! It is standard proofreading, but I do recommend following the text given how dense some of the recordings and text can be :D
erieston

Post by erieston »

czandra wrote: October 20th, 2021, 7:12 am Hi. I picked up this thread in its locked version at first, and listened to section 2, which appeared not to have been listened to from that MW. If you'd like, I can listen sporadically to other sections which I now find on this thread's MW, have not been PL'ed.

Czandra
Yes, this I noticed as well however the first few sections had already been marked PL OK by the time I took over this project, and I do believe they are in the best condition they could be without our original reader being present so we will leave them as is 😊. Thank you for double checking the section though and catching it as well!
czandra

Post by czandra »

Good to have you back, Erin, with your tale of peril and empathy.
I'll do section 75.

Cz

czandra

Post by czandra »

https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/guidefortheperplexed_76_maimonides_128kb.mp3

10min 24s

Czandra

BTW, the uploader has just registered a databreach for the generic librivox username and password.
I don't know what that means for public domain recordings....

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

BTW, the uploader has just registered a databreach for the generic librivox username and password.
I don't understand this. Where was the breach reported?

But like you say, I'm not sure how important it is, since we display the login and password for everyone to see. People will be logging into it from all over the world at the same time; some places might consider that a data breach.
czandra

Post by czandra »

for the first time today, both times I uploaded files, a pop-up message appeared on my screen about "data breach". I've never seen it before. I thought I should pass it on just in case it means something. It didn't show up on my forum sign-in, just the uploader. :?: I think there's no cause for panic either.

Cz