[COMPLETE] The Youth of Washington: Told in the Form of an Autobiography - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

The Youth of Washington: Told in the Form of an Autobiography, by S. Weir Mitchell (1829 - 1914)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-youth-of-washington-told-in-the-form-of-an-autobiography-by-silas-weir-mitchell/
Departing from the usual third person narratives of biographies, this account is told in the first person as the reminiscences of a now retired George Washington. Reflecting on his days as a youth, he relates his family history, education, and military life up to the age of about 26 when he was a colonel. Naturally the author takes much liberty in filling in the details of Washington’s life, but largely remains true to history and the spirit of the man. The result is an engaging story that flows naturally, entertaining as it informs. (Summary by Larry Wilson)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/65513

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: WBHiUacz
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silas_Weir_Mitchell_(phys (S. Weir Mitchell)
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 40
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1904
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography; *Non-fiction/War & Military; *Non-fiction/History/Early Modern

Keywords that describe the book: Americana, biography, war, military history, U.S. History, colonial america, american history, american patriots, u.s. presidents

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
" Chapter number of The Youth of Washington: Told in the Form of an Autobiography. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "The Youth of Washington: Told in the Form of an Autobiography, by S. Weir Mitchell. Chapter Number."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter number." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Youth of Washington: Told in the Form of an Autobiography, by S. Weir Mitchell."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: youthofwashington_##_mitchell_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. youthofwashington_01_mitchell_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: icequeen

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Hi Larry! I can MC this one for you! Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready! We will wait here a day or two to see if we can pick up a DPL.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Hi Larry,

I'm always pleased and grateful to see one of my ebook submissions to PG (with the invaluable assistance of the Distributed Proofreaders volunteers) selected as an audio project here at LV.

Having enjoyed working on the ebook, I'd doubly enjoy contributing a recording of the first (Section 1) and last (Section 40) chapters to the project, if agreeable with you.

Thank you,
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

DACSoft wrote: September 5th, 2021, 9:23 pm Hi Larry,

I'm always pleased and grateful to see one of my ebook submissions to PG (with the invaluable assistance of the Distributed Proofreaders volunteers) selected as an audio project here at LV.

Having enjoyed working on the ebook, I'd doubly enjoy contributing a recording of the first (Section 1) and last (Section 40) chapters to the project, if agreeable with you.

Thank you,
Oh, I think I BC'd another of your GP books! How, cool.
Well, I was going to take the last chapter, but I certainly defer to you.
Honored to have you. :clap:
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you, Ann, for setting this up.
MW is populated and we are ready for readers.

A DPL would be most welcome!
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you,
If you have any of your other submissions that you might like to see recorded, let me know. If it is something suitable, I would certainly consider doing it. This won has been on my list and formatted ready to go for awhile, so I'm glad I got it launched.
~ Larry
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

silverquill wrote: September 5th, 2021, 11:32 pm

Thank you,
Oh, I think I BC'd another of your GP books! How, cool.
Well, I was going to take the last chapter, but I certainly defer to you.
Honored to have you. :clap:
Thank you! My thought reading both the first and last chapters by the same individual is that these two are "present day diary entries" by Washington about his youth, and like prologue and epilogue bookends to Washington's "autobiographical" youth in the rest of the chapters.
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Moving on to Readers Wanted!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
yourbookvoice

Post by yourbookvoice »

This looks like a great read! I would like to claim the following chapters:

2 Chapter 2 1814 Words Open
3 Chapter 3 1329 Words Open
4 Chapter 4 1523 Words Open
5 Chapter 5 767 Words Open
6 Chapter 6 1446 Words Open

Thank you,
Kerry Adams
yourbookvoice
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

yourbookvoice wrote: September 6th, 2021, 10:28 pm This looks like a great read! I would like to claim the following chapters:

2 Chapter 2 1814 Words Open
3 Chapter 3 1329 Words Open
4 Chapter 4 1523 Words Open
5 Chapter 5 767 Words Open
6 Chapter 6 1446 Words Open

Thank you,
Kerry Adams
yourbookvoice
Well, that's a big chunk, but glad to have you reading for us.
Thank you!
~ Larry
yourbookvoice

Post by yourbookvoice »

Thank you Larry, I am looking forward to it... :)

Kerry Adams
yourbookvoice
TheSheepGal

Post by TheSheepGal »

Hi Larry,

I'm available to DPL or at least PL for a time, only I haven't PLed before, but have been trying to prepare myself by reading all the Proof Listening information pages. I'm willing to give it a shot, but it really depends upon if you are willing to give me a shot! :D :lol:

Cheers, Cindy.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

TheSheepGal wrote: September 9th, 2021, 7:23 pm Hi Larry,

I'm available to DPL or at least PL for a time, only I haven't PLed before, but have been trying to prepare myself by reading all the Proof Listening information pages. I'm willing to give it a shot, but it really depends upon if you are willing to give me a shot! :D :lol:

Cheers, Cindy.
Well, we all start somewhere, and I think this is an excellent place.
I love working with new proof listeners. :D

I will send you a PM with a little introduction that I send to new proof listeners, and then you can tell me if it is something you want to take one. We're all volunteers, so if you want to give it a try and then feel it's not for you, that is fine. But, we do :9: our DPLs!
~ Larry
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

And, I will go ahead and put you in as DPL, Cindy! Welcome aboard and thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!