COMPLETE: Popular Lectures on Scientific Subjects by Hermann Helmholtz - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Popular Lectures on Scientific Subjects, by Hermann von Helmholtz (1821 - 1894)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/popular-lectures-on-scientific-subjects-by-hermann-von-helmholtz/
This book presents a summary of many of Hemholtz's areas of research. He investigated the workings of the brain in its appreciation of art and music, and also developed some of the first rigorous ideas of how our solar system formed itself. Then, he was a contributor to the new theories of Einstein's curved space-time universe, and lastly, worked with the nascent Quantum Theory. He lived one of the most scientifically productive eras of history.

The intent of the series of Librivox project of which this book is the second part, is to get a double-barreled insight into the great 19th century scientists on whose shoulders Einstein stood in developing his Theory of Relativity. One "barrel" was to be a BIOGRAPHICAL ESSAY ABOUT each one, and the second barrel was to be a selection of that scientist's own writings about his own life and work. This book does both in one: the first part is a selection of his works and then follows an autobiography. (Summary by William Jones)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.278054/mode/2up

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
Section# of Popular Lectures on Scientific Subjects. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org. [Optional: Read by your name, City, Date] Popular Lectures on Scientific Subjects, by Hermann von Helmholtz, Chapter #, Part #, Title
End of recording:
Say:
End of section #. [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: Read by your name, city, date.]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Popular Lectures on Scientific Subjects, by Hermann von Helmholtz"
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: popularlectures_##_helmholtz_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. popularlectures_01_helmholtz_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: TriciaG

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by williamjones on November 15th, 2021, 11:12 am, edited 10 times in total.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

The BC will be the reader for
Sections 01 & 02 (the entirety of Lecture 02),
and
Sections 11 & 12 (Parts 4 and 5 of Lecture 04: On the origin of the planetary system)
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is set up.

I shortened the file name a bit, but that's per your discretion. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Thank you again, Tricia, for setting this up.
I see only one tiny faux pas: there should be 19 sections.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You can't delete sections, but you can add them. Click the Add New Section button. It'll show up at the bottom of the list. (You can add the section title when you add the section, to save a step.)
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

TriciaG wrote: August 31st, 2021, 2:39 pm You can't delete sections, but you can add them. Click the Add New Section button. It'll show up at the bottom of the list. (You can add the section title when you add the section, to save a step.)
Fantastic!! I'm getting so smart I'm about to bust my pants. Thank you.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Matulism

Post by Matulism »

This looks like an interesting book and I'd like to contribute but am a little confused about how to select a section. Am I missing something ?
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

Hi There!

I would like to claim the last sections of the Autobiographical Sketch, please.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Matulism wrote: August 31st, 2021, 7:44 pm This looks like an interesting book and I'd like to contribute but am a little confused about how to select a section. Am I missing something ?
It's not set up quite yet. When the sections have titles in the Magic Window, it'll be easier to say, "I want to claim lecture 4" or whatever. :)

Some people do jump the gun a little bit and claim sections before the Magic Window is filled in, which I find confusing because we don't know exactly how the text is going to broken down into sections. :)
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Matulism wrote: August 31st, 2021, 7:44 pm This looks like an interesting book and I'd like to contribute but am a little confused about how to select a section. Am I missing something ?
Yes, you ARE missing something: the Magic Window which lists all the sections awaiting the attention of avid readers! I'll be filling in the Magic Window later this morning (after a doctor's appointment).
I see that TriciaG has already mentioned this. Please be patient for a few hours, then you'll see the 19 sections and which areas of the book are addressed by them.
Thank you for your interest!
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

realisticspeakers wrote: August 31st, 2021, 8:40 pm Hi There!

Until I've filled in the Magic Window, "the last sections of the autobiographical sketch" are undefined. Hold on a couple of hours, until the Magic Window is filled in, THEN place your request, please. It will be good to hear your talents applied to these sections.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

The Magic Window for the Helmholtz project is UP!!
Take a look.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

I'll claim Lucky 13, On Thought in Medicine, part 1
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving to Readers Wanted...
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

williamjones wrote: September 1st, 2021, 4:59 am
realisticspeakers wrote: August 31st, 2021, 8:40 pm Hi There!

Until I've filled in the Magic Window, "the last sections of the autobiographical sketch" are undefined. Hold on a couple of hours, until the Magic Window is filled in, THEN place your request, please. It will be good to hear your talents applied to these sections.
opthalmoscope...yeeeha!
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."