COMPLETE: Love's Coming-of-Age: A Series of Papers on the Relations of the Sexes by Edward Carpenter -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Love's Coming-of-Age: A Series of Papers on the Relations of the Sexes, by Edward Carpenter (1844 - 1929)

This project is now complete.  All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/loves-coming-of-age-by-edward-carpenter/

"The little god of Love is generally represented as a child; and rightly, perhaps, considering the erratic character of his ways among the human race. There are signs, however, of a new order in the relations of the Sexes; and the following papers are, among other things, an attempt to indicate the inner laws which, rather than the outer, may guide Love when—some day—he shall have come to his full estate." (Summary by Edward Carpenter)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/63081

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Special: Please follow along with the text and check for any word changes that affect the meaning.
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Family & Relationships

Keywords that describe the book: relationships, love, feminism

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of Love's Coming-of-Age. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Love's Coming-of-Age: A Series of Papers on the Relations of the Sexes, by Edward Carpenter. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Love's Coming-of-Age: A Series of Papers on the Relations of the Sexes, by Edward Carpenter."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: lovescomingofage_##_carpenter_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. lovescomingofage_01_carpenter_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by Scarbo on August 23rd, 2021, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

I'd like to be my own DPL, if I may.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
TrashSamurai

Post by TrashSamurai »

Hello! I would like to read for this!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

TrashSamurai wrote: August 20th, 2021, 1:29 pm Hello! I would like to read for this!
Welcome to LV! :) Thanks for your interest! Keep an eye on this thread - this project hasn't been adopted by an MC yet, but if it is, the Magic Window will appear in the first post, and once I've updated it, you'll be able to see a list of individual sections with word counts and decide which ones you'd like to read.

In the meantime, I would strongly suggest completing a 1-minute test. It's not an audition, it's just a way to make sure that your recording equipment is set up according to specifications and to check for sound problems. It's not required, but if there happen to be any adjustments you need to make to your equipment settings, it'll be much easier to fix them in the test than to find out about them after you've gone to the effort of recording a much longer file.

Once your 1-minute test is OK'd, I'd recommend starting off with claiming one section of this project at first, preferably with a smaller word count, so that you're not overwhelmed. That will give you an idea of what the recording and editing process is like. Then once you've completed that section and gotten more comfortable with the process, feel free to claim more.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have!

Sarah
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

MW is up, Scarbo.
Jo
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thank you, Jo!

Sarah
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Nice to see some more Edward Carpenter popping up :)

Could I do Section 1 and 2?
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

jakemalizia wrote: August 21st, 2021, 4:32 am Nice to see some more Edward Carpenter popping up :)

Certainly, thank you for claiming! By the way, I tried to make the instructions on footnotes, etc. as clear as I could, but let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

jakemalizia wrote: August 21st, 2021, 4:32 am Nice to see some more Edward Carpenter popping up :)

By the way, I hope you haven't already recorded the appendix notes part of section 1, but I wanted to let you know that I'm just going to have the appendix be its own separate section, so you don't need to worry about including the notes in section 1. I wanted to try to have the appendix notes included in their corresponding chapters, but it's too complicated. :lol: I apologize for any confusion!

Sarah
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Scarbo wrote: August 22nd, 2021, 5:18 pm

By the way, I hope you haven't already recorded the appendix notes part of section 1, but I wanted to let you know that I'm just going to have the appendix be its own separate section, so you don't need to worry about including the notes in section 1. I wanted to try to have the appendix notes included in their corresponding chapters, but it's too complicated. :lol: I apologize for any confusion!
Oh yeah that's no problem! Thanks for letting me know :)
EltonTheSnowman

Post by EltonTheSnowman »

Hi, I’d like to claim section 4 :)
Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

EltonTheSnowman wrote: August 23rd, 2021, 4:24 am Hi, I’d like to claim section 4 :)
Sure thing, thank you for claiming!

Sarah
Ariellerush

Post by Ariellerush »

I would love to do section 3 please
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thank you for your sections! It will probably be tomorrow before I'll be able to give section 1 a listen, but I've PL'd section 2, and it sounds great. I have just one note: at 1:48, "all this is reversed," you say "all this is reserved."

Sarah