COMPLETE: Love's Coming-of-Age: A Series of Papers on the Relations of the Sexes by Edward Carpenter -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Ariellerush wrote: August 25th, 2021, 2:10 pm I would love to do section 3 please
Welcome to LV! :) I'll sign you up for section 3, but before you start recording, I'd strongly recommend completing a 1-minute test. It's not an audition, it's just a way to check for sound problems and to make sure that your recording software settings are correct.

Section 3 is a bit lengthy, so I'd also recommend starting off by recording something shorter so that you get a feel for the recording and editing process. Feel free to claim one of the 500-800-word sections of this project if they interest you! You'll have two months to submit section 3, so that should give you plenty of time to do a shorter section first as well as this one.

Could you let me know what name you'd like to be listed under in the LV catalog?

I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Scarbo wrote: August 25th, 2021, 4:49 pm
Thank you for your sections! It will probably be tomorrow before I'll be able to give section 1 a listen, but I've PL'd section 2, and it sounds great. I have just one note: at 1:48, "all this is reversed," you say "all this is reserved."
Oops! Thank you for spotting it. I've corrected it and reuploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/lovescomingofage_02_carpenter_128kb.mp3 - 14m05s
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

jakemalizia wrote: August 26th, 2021, 12:21 am Oops! Thank you for spotting it. I've corrected it and reuploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/lovescomingofage_02_carpenter_128kb.mp3 - 14m05s
PL OK! Thank you!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Ariellerush

Post by Ariellerush »

Hello thank you for the advice!! ill start with the section named "on jealousy", you are very right. starting out small is a much better idea. ill start there send it to you and then go from there. I have been practicing a bit with audacity and my environment before I even volunteered so I think a 500-600 word one is the next transition. thank you!

you can name me: Arielle Rush
ComfortKC

Post by ComfortKC »

Can I read Section 8? Thanks.

Kevin
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Section 2 sounds great as well! Thank you! I have just two notes:

- At 7:22, "equal rights of others with himself," I hear "equal rights of others within himself."
- At 13:35, "her or his own," you say "her and his own." (It seems like a minor difference, but with "and," the "her" appears to be an object pronoun instead of a possessive.)

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Ariellerush wrote: August 26th, 2021, 11:18 am Hello thank you for the advice!! ill start with the section named "on jealousy", you are very right. starting out small is a much better idea. ill start there send it to you and then go from there. I have been practicing a bit with audacity and my environment before I even volunteered so I think a 500-600 word one is the next transition. thank you!

you can name me: Arielle Rush
Happy to help! I've signed you up for section 10 as well. Thank you for claiming! Feel free to ask if you have any questions along the way.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

ComfortKC wrote: August 26th, 2021, 12:01 pm Can I read Section 8? Thanks.

Kevin
Sure thing, thank you for claiming!

Sarah
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

Scarbo wrote: August 26th, 2021, 4:19 pm
Section 2 sounds great as well! Thank you! I have just two notes:

- At 7:22, "equal rights of others with himself," I hear "equal rights of others within himself."
- At 13:35, "her or his own," you say "her and his own." (It seems like a minor difference, but with "and," the "her" appears to be an object pronoun instead of a possessive.)
Thanks, I appreciate your diligence.
Here is my reuploaded Section 1, with corrections:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/lovescomingofage_01_carpenter_128kb.mp3 - 34m31s
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

jakemalizia wrote: August 27th, 2021, 11:53 pm Thanks, I appreciate your diligence.
Here is my reuploaded Section 1, with corrections:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/lovescomingofage_01_carpenter_128kb.mp3 - 34m31s
PL OK! Thank you!

Sarah
Arden

Post by Arden »

May I claim 5, 6, and 7? Thanks.
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Arden wrote: September 3rd, 2021, 8:36 pm May I claim 5, 6, and 7? Thanks.
Certainly, thank you for claiming!

Sarah
Ariellerush

Post by Ariellerush »

docdlmartin

Post by docdlmartin »

may I claim chapter 13 (appendix)?
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thank you for section 10! This is a very nicely done first reading! I have a few notes, but please don't be discouraged by them. There's a bit of a learning curve with recording specifications starting out, but everything gets easier soon. :)

- Could you reduce the silence at the very beginning to between 0.5 and 1 second(s) of silence?
- At 1:16, "at any rate for a period," you say "at any rate for the period." (It seems like a minor difference, but "the period" suggests the meaning of "era/epoch" rather than "amount of time.")
- At 2:25, "from which depend," you say "from which she depends."
- The volume is at 76.8 dB. Could you amplify it to somewhere within the target range of 87-92 dB? In Audacity, you can amplify by going to Effect>Amplify. By the way, you can check the volume of a file by using the Checker tool.
- I'm also seeing a message in Checker that the bit rate should be 128 kbps and that the recording should use a constant bit rate rather than a variable bit rate. This page will take you through the steps to changing the default settings in Audacity so that they meet LV tech specs. After that, you'll just need to import the mp3 file into Audacity again and then export it, and it should save the file with the right bit rate.

You might already know this as well, but just in case, I wanted to mention that you don't have to re-record an entire chapter if you get notes on word changes. You can just record the word or phrase that needs to be redone, paste the new word/phrase in, and delete the old one. You might find this brief tutorial on replacing words helpful. (This also helps out the proof-listener, because they can just spot-check what they had notes on instead of listening to the entire file again.)

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have questions about anything!

Sarah