[COMPLETE] GROUP - Civilisation: Its Cause and Cure, and Other Essays, by Edward Carpenter - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
vviera

Post by vviera »

jakemalizia wrote: September 26th, 2021, 6:48 am Here is the final section (Appendix):

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/civilisation_14_carpenter_128kb.mp3 - 60m21s
Great! I hope I have as much fun PLing as you did recording :wink:
I'll be away April 16-22.
Voy a estar fuera el 16-22 de abril.

Cheers, VERLA
tding

Post by tding »

vviera wrote: September 24th, 2021, 8:37 am
kathrinee wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 7:58 pm In the future, please post PL notes in the thread. That way they are there, for reference.
Sec. 8 notes
increase lead silence to .5-1.0 sec
16:06 – some odd noise. Should be easy to cut out because it’s between sentences.
32:04-32:13 – distracting background noises during narration
and one small noise in your 5 seconds of silence at the end that could be cut.
Did you get a chance to review the updated version?

Tina
vviera

Post by vviera »

tding wrote: September 27th, 2021, 11:43 am
vviera wrote: September 24th, 2021, 8:37 am
kathrinee wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 7:58 pm In the future, please post PL notes in the thread. That way they are there, for reference.
Sec. 8 notes
increase lead silence to .5-1.0 sec
16:06 – some odd noise. Should be easy to cut out because it’s between sentences.
32:04-32:13 – distracting background noises during narration
and one small noise in your 5 seconds of silence at the end that could be cut.
Did you get a chance to review the updated version?

Tina
No, sorry. I've got a PL backlog and am doing some of my own recording as well. (As well as remodeling a house we moved into :) ) PL starts now for this afternoon. Once I look, you will get a message either way, PL OK or comments - if you haven't heard anything, I haven't had time. I'm sure you're good, but I'll do yours first so you can get it off your plate!
Verla

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

tding wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 7:55 am Perhaps it's my system. I couldn't hear anything other than silence in the last seconds. I replaced them regardless and hope that they'll be ok.

A revised version(37:09) has been uploaded for your review.

Tina
Hi Tina - Sorry for that delay. The lead time and internal noises are fixed. On the last 5 sec, though, it now sounds quite static-y the whole way. Did you do noise reduction on just that short bit?

I'm pretty new to PLing, so I'm not sure how silent "silent" has to be, and I'm not sure what is done with that silence in the post-PL production process. But what's in that 5 sec now is different from your internal silences (between sentences or paragraphs) or from the original last 5 sec,which just had a little rustle in it at some point. Could you take another listen, please, and do noise reduction if possible?

kathrinee, could you comment on the nature of the silence needed for this purpose? I'm sure that's something that will come up sometimes, and it'll be good for my DPL learning curve. Depending on the answer to this, Tina may not need to do anything.

Thanks,
Verla

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

Hi all -

I believe I've caught up with all the PL for this project, except for the Appendix, which is my next listen.

Some of the sections were already done before I came on as DPL, and I want to make sure I haven't missed anything. Please let me know if you are waiting for initial PL or response to a repost link.

Thanks!
Verla

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

jakemalizia wrote: September 26th, 2021, 6:48 am Here is the final section (Appendix):

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/civilisation_14_carpenter_128kb.mp3 - 60m21s
Jake, that was a tour de force. In the entire hour, I find only one small thing necessitating redo.

18:02
text: hatred in which they hold their overlords
heard: hatred in which they hold over their lords.

Cheers, VERLA
tding

Post by tding »

vviera wrote: September 27th, 2021, 2:51 pm
tding wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 7:55 am Perhaps it's my system. I couldn't hear anything other than silence in the last seconds. I replaced them regardless and hope that they'll be ok.

A revised version(37:09) has been uploaded for your review.

Tina
Hi Tina - Sorry for that delay. The lead time and internal noises are fixed. On the last 5 sec, though, it now sounds quite static-y the whole way. Did you do noise reduction on just that short bit?

I'm pretty new to PLing, so I'm not sure how silent "silent" has to be, and I'm not sure what is done with that silence in the post-PL production process. But what's in that 5 sec now is different from your internal silences (between sentences or paragraphs) or from the original last 5 sec,which just had a little rustle in it at some point. Could you take another listen, please, and do noise reduction if possible?

kathrinee, could you comment on the nature of the silence needed for this purpose? I'm sure that's something that will come up sometimes, and it'll be good for my DPL learning curve. Depending on the answer to this, Tina may not need to do anything.

Thanks,
Verla
Hello, Verla,

I've uploaded another version for you. However, from version 1, 2 to this one, I honestly couldn't detect anything different in the last few padding seconds. I could only "hear" the silence when I turned the volume to the max, which probably would blow my ears off if I really tried to listen to the recording! The same equipment has been used for Librivox projects for close to three years. I'm at my wits' end now!

Tina
vviera

Post by vviera »

tding wrote: September 28th, 2021, 12:39 pm
Hello, Verla,

I've uploaded another version for you. However, from version 1, 2 to this one, I honestly couldn't detect anything different in the last few padding seconds.
Tina
It sounds great this time - marked PL OK!

I don't know what happened either. I have professional headphones, but it doesn't make sense that there would be that much difference. In any case - sounds perfect. I was ready to OK anyway. No reason to drive ourselves crazy. Thanks so much for your work on it.

Verla

Cheers, VERLA
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

vviera wrote: September 28th, 2021, 9:24 am

Jake, that was a tour de force. In the entire hour, I find only one small thing necessitating redo.

18:02
text: hatred in which they hold their overlords
heard: hatred in which they hold over their lords.
Oh, I'm surprised too! :lol: 1 mistake - I'll take that any day.
Thanks so much for the longggggg PL. I've (hopefully) corrected the mistake and it's now ready for spot PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/civilisation_14_carpenter_128kb.mp3
vviera

Post by vviera »

jakemalizia wrote: September 28th, 2021, 11:30 pm
Oh, I'm surprised too! :lol: 1 mistake - I'll take that any day.
Thanks so much for the longggggg PL. I've (hopefully) corrected the mistake and it's now ready for spot PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/civilisation_14_carpenter_128kb.mp3
Great, Jake, status updated to PL OK.

It was a great longggggg PL. The excerpts are fascinating, showing that the sounds of European "discovery" and "civilisation" of much of the rest of the world still echo loudly today. I came on late as DPL and have only listened to one half of another chapter so far. I'm thinking that the quotes in this appendix that he uses to justify his controversial thoughts so forcefully expounded on elsewhere will throw light on the entire text as I read it.

Thanks so much,
Verla

Cheers, VERLA
marissa27

Post by marissa27 »

Am I allowed to proof listen to the preface?
vviera

Post by vviera »

marissa27 wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 6:50 pm Am I allowed to proof listen to the preface?
Hi Marissa -
Looks like you're just getting started with LibriVox. Welcome aboard!

Section 0 was already proofed (or as we say, "PLed"). You can tell by the "PL OK" in the last column for the section in the Magic Window (MW). The section 0 is also a different color, that light green.

Some sections were already PLed before I came on, but I'm now DPL (dedicated proof listener), so that means I'll be PLing everything. Because of limited server capacity, LV asks that you not listen to or download sections from the MW unless you are PL or BC (Book Coordinator). There's a notice in red to that effect just above the MW.

If you're interested in PLing, take a look at this to get oriented:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/ProofListening_tips_and_quiz

To find projects that need PL work, check the Listeners & Editors wanted forum (most of which is one-minute tests, but there are also projects there that need PL). Or look at the Readers Wanted forums. If the project has a tilde (~) before the title, that means it needs PL work.

LibriVox needs people interested in PL, so hopefully you'll be able to do some!

Verla

Cheers, VERLA
czandra

Post by czandra »

Hi. Is this project fully assigned? It's still in the readers wanted thread.

Cz
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
jakemalizia

Post by jakemalizia »

czandra wrote: October 17th, 2021, 5:15 am Hi. Is this project fully assigned? It's still in the readers wanted thread.

Cz
I'm just waiting a few days to see if Mikciz responds to my DM. If I don't hear back, their sections will be opened up.
czandra

Post by czandra »

thanks, Jake
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!