COMPLETE: Forty Thousand Miles Over Land and Water by Ethyl G. Vincent -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Craig0a

Post by Craig0a »

Hello,

Part 42 is uploaded (31 minutes, 12 seconds): https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/fortythousandmiles_42_vincent_128kb.mp3

Thank you!

Best regards,
Anna
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Added. Thanks Anna.
Jo
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Craig0a wrote: September 18th, 2021, 6:42 pm Hello,

Part 16 is uploaded (25 minutes, 12 seconds): https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/fortythousandmiles_16_vincent_128kb.mp3

Thank you!

Best regards,
Anna
Hi, Anna :) Sections 14, 15, and 16 are all three PL OK :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

May I claim Sections 25 and 26, thank you
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

All yours, Roselbex.
Jo
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Thanks! MW updated ready for PL.
Jo
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Roselbex wrote: September 20th, 2021, 3:31 pm I have reuploaded Section 24 Length 23:23
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/fortythousandmiles_24_vincent_128kb.mp3
Hi, Roselbex :)

Your recording is terrific and ready to go . . . however . . .

Now that we're deep into this chapter and you and I see it up close and personal, it seems that it would be better to shift the ending a wee bit between this section and the next - since you're doing Section 25, as well. That portion seems more like it should be part of the preceding paragraph than the start of a new topic or idea, so it would be better kept in 24.

Would you mind, when recording 25, clipping out this portion and pasting it to the end of the reading in this Section 24 file?

"The lower end of the town seemed consecrated to the undertakers, for the curious wooden coffins, copies of the ancient sarcophagi of the Greeks, were lying in piles before the doors. The Chinese devote a great deal of thought and attention to their coffins, and keep them in readiness for years in their houses. Forges abounded too, for the Chinese are celebrated as the best blacksmiths of the world."

That way, Section 25 starts with the topic of the Javanese/Malay differences. (By the way, if you ever notice a better placement for chapter divisions than a BC was able to find, feel free to post a note to the BC to see if they want you to shift it. As BCs, we try our best to divide long chapters nicely, but without reading closely, our decision sometimes can be better.)

P.S. - I looked closely at the second division for this chapter, and made notes in the MW for a different shift there, between 25 and 26. Jo gets veto power, though. :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hey, Jo -

PL'ing on 24 for Roselbex, I noticed a better spot for dividing both between 24-25 and then 25-26 (to keep ideas together), since she is recording all three sections. I made DPL notes for starts/ends in the MW, but left the original divider cues in case you don't wish us to shift things.
~Lynette * -
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

LCaulkins wrote: September 21st, 2021, 7:33 am
Roselbex wrote: September 20th, 2021, 3:31 pm I have reuploaded Section 24 Length 23:23
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/fortythousandmiles_24_vincent_128kb.mp3
Hi, Roselbex :)

Your recording is terrific and ready to go . . . however . . .

Now that we're deep into this chapter and you and I see it up close and personal, it seems that it would be better to shift the ending a wee bit between this section and the next - since you're doing Section 25, as well. That portion seems more like it should be part of the preceding paragraph than the start of a new topic or idea, so it would be better kept in 24.

Would you mind, when recording 25, clipping out this portion and pasting it to the end of the reading in this Section 24 file?

"The lower end of the town seemed consecrated to the undertakers, for the curious wooden coffins, copies of the ancient sarcophagi of the Greeks, were lying in piles before the doors. The Chinese devote a great deal of thought and attention to their coffins, and keep them in readiness for years in their houses. Forges abounded too, for the Chinese are celebrated as the best blacksmiths of the world."

That way, Section 25 starts with the topic of the Javanese/Malay differences. (By the way, if you ever notice a better placement for chapter divisions than a BC was able to find, feel free to post a note to the BC to see if they want you to shift it. As BCs, we try our best to divide long chapters nicely, but without reading closely, our decision sometimes can be better.)

P.S. - I looked closely at the second division for this chapter, and made notes in the MW for a different shift there, between 25 and 26. Jo gets veto power, though. :)
I am happy to defer to your assessment, Lynette, as long as Roselbex doesn't mind making the adjustments. :) I've adjusted the instructions in the MW accordingly.
Jo
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

I have a question. In Chapter XIII, part 2, Page 223 there is a discussion of wages. I did some research into abbreviations of currencies, mostly Dutch and Javanese and could not find any reference to this symbol. 14,000 l. a year
I have no idea what the l. could stand for or how to read it. Actually I'm not even sure it is an "l"(L). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Roselbex wrote: September 21st, 2021, 2:13 pm I have a question. In Chapter XIII, part 2, Page 223 there is a discussion of wages. I did some research into abbreviations of currencies, mostly Dutch and Javanese and could not find any reference to this symbol. 14,000 l. a year
I have no idea what the l. could stand for or how to read it. Actually I'm not even sure it is an "l"(L). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you
The short answer is it is 'Pounds' as in Pounds Sterling. The authoress ( :mrgreen: ) is English and throughout the book almost all of her monetary references are in Pounds so her readers can relate.

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Craig0a

Post by Craig0a »

Also I have been reading "s" as "shilling" and "d" as "pence"
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »

I have reuploaded Ch 13 Pt 1 Section 24 with the new ending Length 23:61

Thank you Wayne for the answer to my monetary quandary. I did learn all kinds of things, which I have quickly forgotten, about Dutch and Javanese currency
Roselbex

Post by Roselbex »