[COMPLETE] A Dish of Orts by George MacDonald-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Oh yes, I forgot checker gets finicky about that. But I think it's because sections that long are relatively rare. And perhaps back when that software was created, it was required to stay under an hour. But I don't know, really; that was before my time. :)
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Here, finally, is Section 10. I loved the poem and the essay, but had to do a lot of patching before I felt at all confident of having gotten the pauses and emphases right.
Length 35:47
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/dishoforts_10_macdonald_128kb.mp3
ETA: I altered the Gutenberg text at one point. Where Gutenberg has "how can the result of much thought, the idea which for mouths has been shaping itself in the mind of one man, be at once received by another mind to which it comes a stranger and unexpected?" I changed "mouths" to "months," since it struck me as an obvious typo/mis-scan/something like that.
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

JoannaHoyt wrote: August 27th, 2021, 11:18 am Here, finally, is Section 10. I loved the poem and the essay, but had to do a lot of patching before I felt at all confident of having gotten the pauses and emphases right.
ETA: I altered the Gutenberg text at one point. Where Gutenberg has "how can the result of much thought, the idea which for mouths has been shaping itself in the mind of one man, be at once received by another mind to which it comes a stranger and unexpected?" I changed "mouths" to "months," since it struck me as an obvious typo/mis-scan/something like that.
Thank you! Yes, I found this text to be a challenging one, too. MacDonald is in deep waters here.

I did find a scan that has the word "months" there, so it looks like you are right: https://archive.org/details/dishofortschief06macduoft/page/197/
paulbrianstewart

Post by paulbrianstewart »

Gidday MightyFelix,

Here is section 12, The History and Heroes of Medicine"

FileSize: 13.8mb
TrackLength: 15:6.19

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/dishoforts_12_macdonald_128kb.mp3

Have a great week.

Thanks,
Paul Stewart
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

JoannaHoyt wrote: August 27th, 2021, 11:18 am Here, finally, is Section 10. I loved the poem and the essay, but had to do a lot of patching before I felt at all confident of having gotten the pauses and emphases right.
Nicely done, Joanna! Christmas Eve is PL OK :thumbs:
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

paulbrianstewart wrote: August 29th, 2021, 4:36 pm Gidday MightyFelix,

Thank you! MW updated.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

paulbrianstewart wrote: August 29th, 2021, 4:36 pm Gidday MightyFelix,

FileSize: 13.8mb
TrackLength: 15:6.19

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/dishoforts_12_macdonald_128kb.mp3

Have a great week.

Thanks,
Paul Stewart
Hi, Paul! Yet another superbly read section. :)

Section 12 is PL OK :thumbs:

I have one thought for your consideration for future recordings: In proof-listener mode, my ears pick up a small amount of tinny distortion in the sound quality that is likely coming from a little bit too much noise reduction on the recording track. It is nowhere near bad enough to do anything about here, and is not distracting to your reading, but you might try lowering the intensity of that treatment on your next recordings and see if that leaves the distortion out completely. :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
paulbrianstewart

Thank you for the specific suggestion. I'll definitely try that going forward. By any chance do you know any tutorials or videos that demonstrate how to do that? I'll google it of course, just thought I'd ask in case you or someone has a video they like/use.

Thanks again for your help, am always glad to improve.

Have a great week,
Paul Stewart
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

paulbrianstewart wrote: August 31st, 2021, 1:20 pm Thank you for the specific suggestion. I'll definitely try that going forward. By any chance do you know any tutorials or videos that demonstrate how to do that? I'll google it of course, just thought I'd ask in case you or someone has a video they like/use.

Have a great week,
Paul Stewart
Sure! Everything I've learned has come from people helping me, so I'm always happy to pass things along.

LibriVox has a discussion that includes using Noise Reduction here: Noisecleaning with Pics (This assumes you're using Audacity for your recording. If you're using a different platform, perhaps you can find a similar tool.)

In looking at the values that are typed in the pop up box in their example, though, a couple of those numbers seem really quite high to me in terms of potentially creating unwanted tinniness and what I call "space monkeys" that sneak into the track. I don't like going over 12 in the Noise Reduction value, or 3 in the Frequency Smoothing Bands. That's just me, though - those higher numbers leave no margin for further manipulation of the sound waves, which is desirable to have, particularly when we're contributing to dramatic readings and plays. The editors for such projects need room to adjust volume/tempo/etc. when splicing the different roles together into the master track. The 12 and 3 also leave room for me to do the rare second Noise Reduction on my track (where I'll drop that 12 down to 6 or 8), if, say, it's winter and the first noise reduction left some heater noise still there.

Maybe Devorah has some input on what numbers she likes to use. :)
~Lynette * -
paulbrianstewart

Thank you!

quote=LCaulkins post_id=1941958 time=1630446153 user_id=109608]
paulbrianstewart wrote: August 31st, 2021, 1:20 pm Thank you for the specific suggestion. I'll definitely try that going forward. By any chance do you know any tutorials or videos that demonstrate how to do that? I'll google it of course, just thought I'd ask in case you or someone has a video they like/use.

Have a great week,
Paul Stewart
Sure! Everything I've learned has come from people helping me, so I'm always happy to pass things along.

LibriVox has a discussion that includes using Noise Reduction here: Noisecleaning with Pics (This assumes you're using Audacity for your recording. If you're using a different platform, perhaps you can find a similar tool.)

In looking at the values that are typed in the pop up box in their example, though, a couple of those numbers seem really quite high to me in terms of potentially creating unwanted tinniness and what I call "space monkeys" that sneak into the track. I don't like going over 12 in the Noise Reduction value, or 3 in the Frequency Smoothing Bands. That's just me, though - those higher numbers leave no margin for further manipulation of the sound waves, which is desirable to have, particularly when we're contributing to dramatic readings and plays. The editors for such projects need room to adjust volume/tempo/etc. when splicing the different roles together into the master track. The 12 and 3 also leave room for me to do the rare second Noise Reduction on my track (where I'll drop that 12 down to 6 or 8), if, say, it's winter and the first noise reduction left some heater noise still there.

Maybe Devorah has some input on what numbers she likes to use. :)
[/quote]
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I use the numbers 10, 6, and 3, in that order, but I'm afraid I couldn't tell you why. I don't precisely know what all those numbers do, except for the first one (and I might be wrong about that one). I think that I either stuck with the default for the other two numbers or I took somebody's advice from some tutorial somewhere! :lol:
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you both!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

silverquill wrote: September 13th, 2021, 9:03 am Christian Ministering:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/dishoforts_16_macdonald_128kb.mp3 26:39
Beautiful recording, as always, Larry. There is one false start you might want to edit out, at 26:15.
~Lynette * -