[COMPLETE]The Boy Scouts at the Battle of Saratoga, by Herbert Carter - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

For this project, I’ll just record.
Ella
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

For this book, I’ll just record. But the other book has really let me down. I like Margaret Vandercook, but this one is not my favorite. So, I’d like to resign those chapters.
Ella
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

EllaTandilyan wrote: July 25th, 2021, 9:40 am I mean just in general, how does it work? I’m not saying to take over the project, just in future can that be a possibility?

OK, basically you are listening to sections as a second set of ears. You are listening for stumbles and repeats, most PL'ers also check the technical stuff, i.e. mono/stereo, the bit rate. You don't have to follow along with the text, but some do depending on what the book coordinator wants flagged. I can definitely be a possibility in the future, we are all volunteers and we decide how much work we can take on. Some projects can have a light amount of work, others can get pretty heavy. Check out the link that has the information about PL'ing and see if it is for you or not.

I will take you off the Red Cross Girls project, and leave you on this one!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

Hi again! Managed to set up Audacity on Mac. The video was a big help by the way. There may be tank sounds in the background because my brother has an obsession with fish.
Ella
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

Ella
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Thank you! What is the time duration for your recording? I need it to make sure I have the whole file.
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

15 minutes 57 seconds.
Ella
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

I sent all of it. When converted to mp3 it was only 12 MB.
Ella
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Chapter 1 needs a few things fixed.

The bit rate of your recording is 101 kbps and variable. That needs to be changed to 128 kbps and constant.

There is a fair amount of background noise, 52.9 db, so you will need to do some noise cleaning.

In the intro, you need to add "Chapter 1 of" at the very beginning.

5:15-:48, somehow the intro and the first little bit of the book got pasted in the middle of a sentence.

6:24-:33 significant drop in volume.

7:01 stumble that needs to be edited out.

7:35-:39 a long pause that needs to be shortened.

7:54 stumble.

8:07-12:27 a significant drop in volume.

10:51 stumble

11:24 stumble

12:57-14:05 a significant drop in volume

15:14-:15 stumble and pause

15:56, the volume in your outro drops, and I think you stumbled on "End of Chapter 1."

You need to add 5 seconds of silence to the end of your recording, right after you say, "End of Chapter 1."

When you upload your recording again, please use the correct file name, which should be boyscoutssaratoga_01_carter_128kb
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Lector1

Post by Lector1 »

I'd like to take section 9.
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

Ok, the background noise is not surprising because my of brother's fishtanks. You would not believe how loud they are. I also tend to stumble because I don't usually, read aloud. I’ll trim it.
Ella
EllaTandilyan

Post by EllaTandilyan »

Ok, the background noise is not surprising because my of brother's fishtanks. You would not believe how loud they are. I also tend to stumble because I don't usually, read aloud. I’ll trim it.
Ella
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

EllaTandilyan wrote: July 28th, 2021, 2:56 pm Ok, the background noise is not surprising because my of brother's fishtanks. You would not believe how loud they are. I also tend to stumble because I don't usually, read aloud. I’ll trim it.
I use to have a fish tank, so I totally get it! They can be very loud and they hum all the time! As far as the stumble, the best thing I have found is to slow down a little bit. And, if I stumble, I just read the whole sentence again so that I can cut out that stumble. Being able to read smoothly takes a lot of practice, and relaxing helps with that. Just remember, we all stumble through these texts. It is totally normal. If you want to see how normal it is, head over to the Bloopers thread, you will find that we all do it. Plus, you might hear the occasional cat purring!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Lector1 wrote: July 28th, 2021, 11:47 am I'd like to take section 9.

Section 9 is yours, thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!