[COMPLETE] Little Journeys to the Homes of Great Lovers, by E. Hubbard - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Little Journeys to the Homes of Great Lovers, by Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)

This project is now complete. All files can be found on and downloaded from the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/little-journeys-to-the-homes-of-great-lovers-by-elbert-hubbard/

Elbert Hubbard describes the homes of authors, poets, social reformers and other prestigious people, reflecting on how their surroundings may have influenced them. These short essays are part biography and part pontification of Hubbard's opinion of the subject and their oeuvre.<br><br>

In this volume he reflects on famous love affairs by well-known couples like William Godwin and Mary Wollstonecraft, Dante and Beatrice, and Lord Nelson and Lady Hamilton. The play on the love story of Ferdinand Lassalle and Helene von Donniges was read by the following LibriVox volunteers:

(Summary by Lucy Perry, adapted by Ava)
This is Volume 13 in a series of 14 books.
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/23458

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography; *Non-fiction/Family & Relationships
Keywords that describe the book: romance, biography, essays, Lovers, authors, couples, politicians
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of Little Journeys to the Homes of Great Lovers. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Little Journeys to the Homes of Great Lovers, by Elbert Hubbard. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Little Journeys to the Homes of Great Lovers, by Elbert Hubbard."
If you'd like to read a part for the play on Lassalle and Helene, please read
"role read by" your forum/catalog name
at the very beginning. Please use the filename "littlejourneysgreatlovers_role_part#.mp3" for your files so I can tell them apart.

Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: littlejourneysgreatlovers_##_hubbard_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. littlejourneysgreatlovers_01_hubbard_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Availle

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

OMG, can I be Karl Marx? Also, that other guy. :mrgreen:

Michael
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Both yours, thank you! (although I'm not sure it is what you're expecting :wink:)
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
EltonTheSnowman

Post by EltonTheSnowman »

Hi Ava, I’d like to claim sections 5 and 6 :)
Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

All yours, thank you!

We're doing one couple as a play - because that's how it's written - so if you'd like to play an (important) role in that one as well, just let me know. Details are at the end of the MW. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
EltonTheSnowman

Availle wrote: June 20th, 2021, 5:08 pm We're doing one couple as a play - because that's how it's written - so if you'd like to play an (important) role in that one as well, just let me know. Details are at the end of the MW. :wink:
Oh dear, I got so excited about Godwin and Wollstonecraft that I didn't even notice that there was a play in the book! I'd like to claim Helene von Donniges, please. :D

I can see that the play also features Doctor Henle, who I can only assume is the same man who lent his name to (among other things) the loop of Henle in the kidney. Lovely to see his name outside of a physiology texbook for once. :lol:
Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

She's yours, enjoy. Please upload in two parts, the usual play intro "Helene von Donninges, read by..." in the beginning. You know the drill. :wink:

I have found a Christian Friedrich Haenle who would have been a contemporary of Lassalle and Helene, but the German wikipedia entry is not very detailed and there is no other language. It seems that he was an apothecary and studied physics and chemistry. Is that the same person you think?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
EltonTheSnowman

Availle wrote: June 21st, 2021, 8:32 am She's yours, enjoy. Please upload in two parts, the usual play intro "Helene von Donninges, read by..." in the beginning. You know the drill. :wink:

I have found a Christian Friedrich Haenle who would have been a contemporary of Lassalle and Helene, but the German wikipedia entry is not very detailed and there is no other language. It seems that he was an apothecary and studied physics and chemistry. Is that the same person you think?
Thank you!

Hmmm the one I was thinking of was Friedrich Gustav Jakob Henle and was also their contemporary, but it upon closer examination it looks like he never used an umlaut (or ae for that matter) in the spelling of his name. I got excited a bit too soon I guess. :lol:
The Haenle you mention could be a more likely candidate for the historic name drop in the play. Or I’m just reading too much into it. :mrgreen:
Matea Bracic

-Groucho Marx
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Oh, another Friedrich. :lol:

Hard to say, really. In German, we use the term Dr. almost exclusively to address people with an MD, which rules out my guy. It's also possible that the text is wrong about the Umlaut. They both fit though, and as scientists, it is possible that they did a lot of travelling and met plenty of people of all classes. Oh well, we'll probably never know.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Maddie

Post by Maddie »

Could I be the DPL? If that's alright with you?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

That would be cool, thanks Maddie! :thumbs:

There is one part that will be done as play/dramatic reading (because that's how it's written). I will do the editing, but I would like somebody to PL the part files against the text. Is that okay with you? You would also have to listen to the whole thing again (standard PL) once it's assembled. If you don't want to do the double take on PLing I can do the parts myself.
Just let me know. :)
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Maddie

Post by Maddie »

Okay! I'd be happy to do all of that! :D
tac107

Post by tac107 »

Can I have sections 13 and 14?
If she's passin' back this way
I'm not that hard to find
Tell her she can look me up
If she's got the time

Tatiana
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Sure, have fun! 8-)
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
dwolfe

Post by dwolfe »

Hi, Availle:

I'm absolutely brand new and figuring out all the details and process. Not sure whether I got it all right. Please find my test recording below. Thank you.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/test_littlejourneysgreatlovers.mp3

Dee