Complete-GROUP: Pray You, Sir, Whose Daughter? by Helen H. Gardener-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Here's Chapter 1, duration 10:07. Sorry for the delay--during the hot weather I stopped recording as my recording setup is in a rather hot room under a wool blanket tent.
This conversation reminded me of some real ones that I've heard...
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/whosedaughter_01_gardener_128kb.mp3
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

May I read Chapter 3?
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

JoannaHoyt wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 12:02 pm Here's Chapter 1, duration 10:07. Sorry for the delay--during the hot weather I stopped recording as my recording setup is in a rather hot room under a wool blanket tent.
Thank you for chapter 1! It sounds great. It's word-perfect - I just have one note about 5:26, "sarcastic little drawl." There appears to be a bit of distortion happening over "little drawl."

The timing is not a problem at all, and in fact, this is a pretty quick turnaround! As long as recordings are in by the two-month deadline, it's all good. :)

I did want to mention one thing that you don't need to make any changes to this recording for, but can just keep in mind for future recordings. I'm noticing some clipping during dialogue that's at higher volumes. You might want to look into the compressor tool in Audacity - that way, you can reduce spikes in audio without clipping off the peaks of waveforms.

By the way, good catch on the "Mr. Foster" in the text that should be "Mrs. Foster"! This text has quite a few typos and OCR errors.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

JoannaHoyt wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 12:22 pm May I read Chapter 3?
By all means, thank you for claiming!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Scarbo wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 2:48 pm
JoannaHoyt wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 12:02 pm Here's Chapter 1, duration 10:07. Sorry for the delay--during the hot weather I stopped recording as my recording setup is in a rather hot room under a wool blanket tent.
Thank you for chapter 1! It sounds great. It's word-perfect - I just have one note about 5:26, "sarcastic little drawl." There appears to be a bit of distortion happening over "little drawl."

The timing is not a problem at all, and in fact, this is a pretty quick turnaround! As long as recordings are in by the two-month deadline, it's all good. :)

I did want to mention one thing that you don't need to make any changes to this recording for, but can just keep in mind for future recordings. I'm noticing some clipping during dialogue that's at higher volumes. You might want to look into the compressor tool in Audacity - that way, you can reduce spikes in audio without clipping off the peaks of waveforms.

By the way, good catch on the "Mr. Foster" in the text that should be "Mrs. Foster"! This text has quite a few typos and OCR errors.
Thank you! I will redo the little drawl, and I am glad to know about the compressor tool--I didn't know about that. And I forgot to double-check with you about Mr/Mrs Foster--I couldn't make sense of it as written but I did mean to acknowledge I'd deviated from the printed text. (I think the only other change I made was a glaringly obvious typo.)
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Here's the revised Chapter 1, duration 10:08:

Chapter 3 is read, but it may take me a while to edit it. (Compressor does help--thank you!)
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

JoannaHoyt wrote: July 4th, 2021, 12:18 pm Here's the revised Chapter 1, duration 10:08:

Chapter 3 is read, but it may take me a while to edit it. (Compressor does help--thank you!)
PL OK! Thank you! And no hurry at all on chapter 3. :) Glad the compressor is coming in handy!

Sarah
Nethra

Post by Nethra »

Can I do part 4
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Nethra wrote: July 10th, 2021, 10:05 am Can I do part 4
Certainly, thank you for claiming! Before you record this chapter, I would strongly suggest completing a 1-minute test first. It's not an audition, it's just to make sure that your tech specs are set up correctly and to check for any sound problems.

Could you also let me know what name you'd like to appear under in the catalog?

Welcome to LV, and feel free to ask if you have questions about anything! :)

Sarah
Sonrisaj

Post by Sonrisaj »

Hello,

May I record chapter 5 please?

Thank you.
Linda
What is laughter? It is the glorious sound of a soul waking up. -- Hafez
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Sonrisaj wrote: July 17th, 2021, 3:49 am Hello,

May I record chapter 5 please?

Thank you.
Linda
Certainly you may, thank you for claiming!

Sarah
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Here's Chapter 3. Sorry... when I said it might take me a while to edit I wasn't expecting this much delay. This summer has just gotten a bit ahead of me.
What an interesting book. I find myself oscillating between sympathy for Gertrude and her author trying to find a reasonable way of being women in a world with most unreasonable expectations, and feeling vexed with their way of seeing poorer folks...
Duration 24:08
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/whosedaughter_03_gardener_128kb.mp3
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

JoannaHoyt wrote: July 28th, 2021, 6:38 pm Here's Chapter 3. Sorry... when I said it might take me a while to edit I wasn't expecting this much delay. This summer has just gotten a bit ahead of me.
What an interesting book. I find myself oscillating between sympathy for Gertrude and her author trying to find a reasonable way of being women in a world with most unreasonable expectations, and feeling vexed with their way of seeing poorer folks...
Thank you for chapter 3 - it sounds great! And the timing is not a problem at all. I tend to take much more time getting my recordings to where I want them, so I'd be a hypocrite if I were impatient about sections of projects I'm coordinating. :lol:

I have just a few notes:
- At 18:01, "and the girl drew back," the R in "drew" isn't quite audible.
- At 20:57, "It would not look well," "look" is a little below the audible level.

Yes, although I can appreciate that their perspective is compassionate, they seem to have a rather patronizing attitude towards people less privileged than they are. But I loved Gertrude's realization about Mr. Martin in this chapter!

Sarah
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Scarbo wrote: July 29th, 2021, 6:52 pm
JoannaHoyt wrote: July 28th, 2021, 6:38 pm Here's Chapter 3. Sorry... when I said it might take me a while to edit I wasn't expecting this much delay. This summer has just gotten a bit ahead of me.
Thank you for chapter 3 - it sounds great! And the timing is not a problem at all. I tend to take much more time getting my recordings to where I want them, so I'd be a hypocrite if I were impatient about sections of projects I'm coordinating. :lol:

I have just a few notes:
- At 18:01, "and the girl drew back," the R in "drew" isn't quite audible.
- At 20:57, "It would not look well," "look" is a little below the audible level.

Yes, although I can appreciate that their perspective is compassionate, they seem to have a rather patronizing attitude towards people less privileged than they are. But I loved Gertrude's realization about Mr. Martin in this chapter!
Yes, I also love Gertrude's realization about Martin--and his utter inability to understand where she is coming from rings sadly true too.
I've patched the spots you mentioned. Thank you. Luckily the 18:01 was an easy patch as it was a short sentence with a different voice on either side...
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

JoannaHoyt wrote: July 30th, 2021, 5:34 pm Yes, I also love Gertrude's realization about Martin--and his utter inability to understand where she is coming from rings sadly true too.
I've patched the spots you mentioned. Thank you. Luckily the 18:01 was an easy patch as it was a short sentence with a different voice on either side...
PL OK! Thank you!

Sarah