Complete-GROUP: Pray You, Sir, Whose Daughter? by Helen H. Gardener-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Pray You, Sir, Whose Daughter?, by Helen H. Gardener (1853 - 1925)
Twenty-year-old Gertrude Foster has had the sheltered upbringing typical of women of her class. Yet, she questions the restrictive norms with which she has been raised and does not wish to marry a man who will not see her as an equal.

Gertrude receives a rude awakening to the state of society when she is brought face to face with poverty in her community, and she is further disturbed when she learns of shocking age of consent legislation being discussed in the state assembly. Her concerns hit close to home after she befriends two working-class girls. (Summary by Scarbo)
• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/pray-you-sir-whose-daughter-by-helen-h-gardener/

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/37355

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Special: Please follow along with the text to check for word changes that result in a change of meaning.
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published 1800 -1900

Keywords that describe the book: fiction, feminism

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of Pray You, Sir, Whose Daughter?. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Pray You, Sir, Whose Daughter?, by Helen H. Gardener. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Pray You, Sir, Whose Daughter?, by Helen H. Gardener."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: whosedaughter_##_gardener_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. whosedaughter_01_gardener_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: alg1001

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by Scarbo on June 18th, 2021, 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

I'd like to be my own DPL, if I may, except for any chapters I record myself.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi,
You certainly can. I'll mc this for you. You are entered as BC and DPL.
Thanks!
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thank you!

Sarah
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Hi Amy,

Might I claim Section 0? This sounds very interesting, and when I saw at the end of the Preface it was written by Elizabeth Cady Statton, it made sense. One question if I get this: In the MW you spell Olive's last name "Schreiner", but in Gutenberg, it is spelled "Schreener" which would be two different pronunciations. Which would your prefer?

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Kalamareader wrote: June 17th, 2021, 9:02 pm Hi Amy,

Might I claim Section 0? This sounds very interesting, and when I saw at the end of the Preface it was written by Elizabeth Cady Statton, it made sense. One question if I get this: In the MW you spell Olive's last name "Schreiner", but in Gutenberg, it is spelled "Schreener" which would be two different pronunciations. Which would your prefer?

Thanks,

Wayne
You may certainly claim section 0, thank you for claiming!

This text has a number of OCR errors and typos, including "Schreener." The actual name of the writer in question is Schreiner, so that's the pronunciation I'd prefer. Thanks for checking about that!

Sarah
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Over to Readers Wanted. :)
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Scarbo wrote: June 18th, 2021, 2:55 am
Kalamareader wrote: June 17th, 2021, 9:02 pm Hi Amy,
Might I claim Section 0?
Thanks,
Wayne
You may certainly claim section 0, thank you for claiming!
Hi Scarbo,

Here is "Preface"
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/whosedaughter_00_gardener_128kb.mp3

Time: 12:08

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

May I read Chapter 1?
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Kalamareader wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 4:55 pm
Hi Scarbo,

Here is "Preface"

Thanks,

Wayne
Thank you for section 0 - it sounds great! I have just two notes:

- At 1:21, could you include the dedication that's just after the Schreiner epigraph?
- At 10:55, "sad end," you say "sad life."

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

JoannaHoyt wrote: June 24th, 2021, 2:41 am May I read Chapter 1?
Certainly you may! Thank you for claiming!

Sarah
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Scarbo wrote: June 24th, 2021, 3:34 pm
Kalamareader wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 4:55 pm
Hi Scarbo,

Here is "Preface"

Thanks,

Wayne
Thank you for section 0 - it sounds great! I have just two notes:

- At 1:21, could you include the dedication that's just after the Schreiner epigraph?
- At 10:55, "sad end," you say "sad life."
Scarbo,

Here is the new and improved Preface, Section 0

Time: 12:54

Wayne
Wayne
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Kalamareader wrote: June 24th, 2021, 7:16 pm Scarbo,

Here is the new and improved Preface, Section 0

Time: 12:54

Wayne
PL OK! Thank you!

Sarah
Cedricwn

Post by Cedricwn »

Hi,

I would like to read chapter 2. This should be my first read. :D .

Cedric
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Cedricwn wrote: June 28th, 2021, 12:59 pm Hi,

I would like to read chapter 2. This should be my first read. :D .

Cedric
Chapter 2 is all yours, thank you for claiming! Before you record it, I would strongly suggest completing a 1-minute test first. It's not an audition, it's just to make sure that your tech specs are set up correctly and to check for any sound problems.

Could you also let me know what name you'd like to appear under in the catalog?

Welcome to LV, and feel free to ask if you have questions about anything! :)

Sarah